Doctor Who

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Baconboy
Attila

Re: Doctor Who

Post by Baconboy »

The new episode was okay. Badly written, though.
Also, TwoSheds, I don't exactly care about mission packs, etc. I just want to pilot a Dalek. So tell me when you've completed a rec variant/mod with playable Daleks.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

I have no plans to make it just as a rec variant. It is and always has been a full 3 race mod, once I have finished with the models etc, I hope to make some "limited releases" for debuging/balancing purposes and hope to get a few people interested in expanding the mpi/mission/maps side of things. The missions are not too important to me either, as I know I will never play them again after they're finished, But there are more people out there who will want to play them, there are probably more of them than there are active strat players now! Daleks are very popular but actually fairly rare in the worlds of pc gaming.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

/me thinks twosheds should make use of my free time
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

MrTwosheds wrote:They make it up as they go along I think...The plot is now so convoluted that they can really do whatever they want and nobody's going to notice, time can be re-written... maybe the plot should have been. Hah! your watching the wrong program if you want a story that makes sense, the laws of physics are re-written on a whim why not the plot too?
And wtf happened to the Doctors daughter???
It seemed rushed and abrupt to me. I had thought that the search for Melody was going to take up the majority of the season, not just a single episode. Seems now they can just shelve River Song until some future point. Kind of a hollow victory there.

And the writing-in of Mels into the Ponds' history was kind of lame. But I suppose in a show that revolves around time-travel, you can pretty much do what you want, right? :lol:

I also thought the whole "River using up all of her 'lives'" was a cheap trick. Used up all her "lives?" It's already been established that time lords have endless regenerations so how can you use up endless?
I'm sure that one could be explained away by saying River isn't really a time lord....although she's definitely looking and acting like one in the episode.

And I've been hoping they'd bring back the Doctor's Daughter at some point. I know they haven't ruled it out, but it doesn't look like they're making any effort to do so yet.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

I thought Time Lords have 13 lives, don't they? I was also told the other day that both The Doctor and The Master were "given" all theirs back sometime in the sixth doctor's lifetime, though I'm not sure about that. (Also, "found her"? One of The Doctor's incarnations was supposed to be a woman at some point, right?)
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

"Found her" was a reference to River.

It was established in the Sarah Jane Chronicles that the Doctor (and presumably all other time lords) have pretty much unlimited regenerations. (this was in the last season of Sarah Jane, I believe, which had a cameo with the Doctor).

The doctor has never been a woman, they had wanted Sylvester McCoy's doctor to be a woman to boost ratings. That never happened.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Must have been poor scriptwriting for that to confuse me, I normally follow DW pretty well. I've never watched SJC, however. Seems a bit childish.

And I know the Doctor hasn't been a woman yet, but I'm sure I read somewhere he is supposed to be at some point.

Right, regenerations. The technology was invented by Rassilon, and had twelve cycles to prevent damage to cells. The Master was promised an extra cycle if he rescued the Doctor in The Five Doctors, which he probably got since he regenerated in Utopia. The Doctor apparently has 507, though whether that's true or not I don't know.
Zenophas
Bull Dog

Post by Zenophas »

Seen a bunch of episodes of the last series.

IT was pretty good. Though, Zeno prefers SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis + Eureka over Doc Who. Meh, personal preference.
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

AHadley wrote:Must have been poor scriptwriting for that to confuse me, I normally follow DW pretty well. I've never watched SJC, however. Seems a bit childish.
Yeah, I had to rewind and hear that twice before I picked it up. And I've never watched SJC either, but read the synopsis for the episode in which the limit on regenerations was redefined.
AHadley wrote:Right, regenerations. The technology was invented by Rassilon, and had twelve cycles to prevent damage to cells. The Master was promised an extra cycle if he rescued the Doctor in The Five Doctors, which he probably got since he regenerated in Utopia. The Doctor apparently has 507, though whether that's true or not I don't know.
Right you are. Except for the 507 number, which I hadn't heard before but could be possible. It was initially done as a simple plot device to explain a change in actors, but it's become kind of a staple plot device in the series.
Either way, they can rewrite and change that at any time they want. There are gaps in continuity throughout the series, with established facts from past-episodes discarded completely or altered.

Now on to a filler episode with some minor clue at the end pointing to the Silence.
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

Zenophas wrote:Seen a bunch of episodes of the last series.

IT was pretty good. Though, Zeno prefers SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis + Eureka over Doc Who. Meh, personal preference.
I never saw Eureka, but intend to watch it. Could never get into the Stargate series at all. Not sure why.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

Zenophas wrote:Seen a bunch of episodes of the last series.

Would it interest you if I told you I have a working puddle jumper in BZ2 :D
Baconboy
Attila

Post by Baconboy »

I agree with you Hitchcock.
Zenophas
Bull Dog

Post by Zenophas »

HitchcockGreen wrote:I never saw Eureka, but intend to watch it. Could never get into the Stargate series at all. Not sure why.
Eureka is a good series. Eh, personal preference. :]
General BlackDragon wrote:Would it interest you if I told you I have a working puddle jumper in BZ2 :D
Ehehhe, kinda. Zeno's not in the mood to reinstall the at the moment though.
TnT
Drunken Constructor

Post by TnT »

AHadley wrote:One of The Doctor's incarnations was supposed to be a woman at some point, right?)
Four low budget female Dr. Who episodes were made (not by the BBC) during the eighties. You can find them on StageVu.

The titles are:
  • 1 - The Wrath Of Euker
    2 - Visions Of Utomu
    3 - Pentagon West
    4 - Broken Doors
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

FanFic? Why am I not surprised? :D