music

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Re: music

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

Sly wrote:You are all racists.
That accusation has become so overused in the last few years, I see it as nothing more than a 'bah-humbug' ad hominem, when no other explanation is given.
Clavin12
Bull Dog

Post by Clavin12 »

Mr. Sly, could you define racism for us.
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

@TheJamsh

Groove metal as in Pantera, et al?
Yes, by and large most techno music is disposable garbage. It's meant to play in **** clubs for idiots with no taste (or are possibly tone deaf).

"Techno" music is definitely capable of being crafted intelligently and skillfully as I'm sure you are aware.

If you don't like rap/hip hop, then you've just not heard anything good. As a sound engineer, you must appreciate the sound/production of Public Enemy, no?
Consider at the time (and even to this day, really) no one sounded like that. The music mimicked the urgency of the message.
Last edited by HitchcockGreen on Wed May 11, 2011 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VSMIT
Sabre

Post by VSMIT »

There is some electronica (note, not techno) that is good and that I enjoy (see: Daft Punk, Deadmau5).
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

VSMIT wrote:There is some electronica (note, not techno) that is good and that I enjoy (see: Daft Punk, Deadmau5).
This. Jean Michel Jarre comes to mind, though as ambient electronica rather than the dancey stuff.

Also, I've come to like Front Line Assembly quite a bit recently.
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

Technical complexity isn't always the point of music. In any genre the trick is great composition.
I haven't listened to much electronica in ages, but sixteen years ago or more I was listening to Spring Heel Jack and Red Snapper quite a bit.
Then i got addicted to all things Ninja Tune.
Axeminister
Sabre

Post by Axeminister »

Did this recording tonight. Turned out pretty good.
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_8845960
PCG-Oldfart
Drunken Constructor

Post by PCG-Oldfart »

I've been a musician for 46 years. Rap is not music but it is entertainment for some do not confuse them. Music is something you can play on a musical instrument like a piano, flute or guitar and it will sound nice while you keep your mouth shut. Now you have permission to try this at home tape your mouth shut sit at the piano and play a rap song. Good luck :)
Baconboy
Attila

Post by Baconboy »

I quote, "rap is not music."
This is my feeling about it.

As I always say, music is like candy. You throw away the rapper.
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

*wrapper

And we're neglecting, possibly in ignorance, that there is, indeed, hip hop created with instruments.
Clavin12
Bull Dog

Post by Clavin12 »

Hip Hop and rap are different. Hip hop is a form of music. Rap is a form of entertainment sometimes featured in Hip Hop music. (Not that I would know, correct me if I'm wrong.)
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

Hip Hop is more than just the music. There are elements of hip hop. Rap is the act of 'singing' overtop, but it is most commonly called MCing. "Rap," I don't think, was used as a term to describe it, originally. That came later. However, over the years the two terms have become synonymous with each other. Hip Hop, at least originally, consisted of five elements. Those have been expanded over the years. When I hear someone say "rap" or "rap music" I immediately think of the commercialized **** that is so popular, but has absolutely no substance. That may legitimize calling it "entertainment." I don't think I'd even call it that, since it doesn't entertain me at all. :)

Mainstream hiphop/rap is usually pretty horrible. However, you can say that about any genre.
There is some very good hiphop with and without instruments.

If you think DJing is easy, try it. It's an art. You do have to know music well, and you do spend painstaking amounts of time sifting through records for bits and pieces to use that will go well with other bits and pieces you've collected. Now I know I'm going to get flak for saying that here, but it's true. For example, take a look at what Kid Koala does. Very inventive.
If you think rapping/MCing is easy, again, try it, and try to do it well.
Clavin12
Bull Dog

Post by Clavin12 »

Can you recommend some artists?
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

Absolutely.

Aesop Rock - Labor Days
El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead
Mr. Lif - I Phantom
A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
Kid Koala - Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
Camu Tao - King of Hearts
Ghostigital - In Cod We Trust (particularly Northern Lights)
Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
Saul Williams - The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust!
The Roots - Illadelph Half Life

That's a really mixed bag, just off the top of my head. Highlighted in green means essential listening. Classic hip hop.
I could keep going if I combed through my music library.

A good introductory album to modern 'underground experimental' hip hop would be Urban Renewal Program. It's definitely not entirely mainstream nor traditional, per se. It's out on Ninja Tune and I'm pretty sure it's available on iTunes as well.

*EDIT* ok for whatever reason, the text I set as a different colour didn't display as that colour. So instead of being green, it's just bold.
sabrebattletank
Thunderbolt

Post by sabrebattletank »

Galactic -- From The Corner To The Block (album)