Interesting article thread

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

MrTwosheds
Recycler

Re: Interesting article thread

Post by MrTwosheds »

Reading between the lines.
Some organisations like to operate out of the public eye, but still need to communicate.
"let the loggers log" If I am not mistaken, is "The people who don't grow trees" begging Ma and Pa to be allowed to come home. After 30 years the nasty foreigners have gotten wise to being mugged on their own front doorstep and the economic situation now means that the tall expensive trees of home are starting to look like a viable option once more... :D
Ma and Pa are in for a big nasty surprise, they didn't imagine Junior would ever come back, and they haven't grown any trees for him. Junior is so very very hungry now and he can reach places he never could before...
Might be time to dig grandpas old tree spikes out of the shed if you value your environment and property prices...
Iron_Maiden
Bull Dog

Post by Iron_Maiden »

All public schools........declare your bankruptcy now:

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/region ... position=0
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

This will only teach kids to "smuggle"

Also, a friend of mine came up with the solution to obesity:

lock them all in a room with a gap under the door big enough for a skinny person to fit through. They can come out when they can fit.
Zenophas
Bull Dog

Post by Zenophas »

General BlackDragon wrote:This will only teach kids to "smuggle"

Also, a friend of mine came up with the solution to obesity:

lock them all in a room with a gap under the door big enough for a skinny person to fit through. They can come out when they can fit.
A box of tissues and condoms might come in handy.
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

If THIS doesn't slap you in the face that we are living in the future, nothing will. When it actually happens will be a major milestone.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

There will be some interesting precedent creating lawsuits occurring as soon as one runs someone over. Can Google afford it?
Are robots allowed to have accidents? and if they are, who buys the insurance?
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Read the article. Those google cars must have drivers in them, able to override and take control as needed.

-- GSH
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

GSH wrote:Read the article. Those google cars must have drivers in them, able to override and take control as needed.

-- GSH
At the moment they do indeed need someone in the car. But Google is working towards the "green plate" . . . a car with no human actually in it. But even after full green plate approval, they will be required to have a 'human remote observer' to override the car if necessary.

Here's a bit more info:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/250179

I'm expecting totally robot dependent cars by 2017. About the time robot quadcopters can monitor them :D
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Ouch, but true.

-- GSH
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

GSH wrote:Ouch, but true.

-- GSH
Problems I can't get over, starting from the very beginning:
1.) Cheap shot on Obama, gives us a nice basis on which to judge the article

2.) Yes, knowing who the nth president was will undoubtedly save my life and land me the big one. I suggest to the author to read the book Rainbow's End by Vernor Vinge, it even qualifies for free super saver so his Obama-ruined economic self can afford it. Abridged: it points to how the post-modern world is adapting a more information-analysis approach rather than information storage. We are already approaching this in real life: any ever tell anyone to Google something? The skill of obtaining information is already becoming more valuable than just knowing X amount of a subject. The book even has basic classes in their schools "how to Google" being the theme. Those that do not embrace this will panic and be left behind.

3.) Multiple languages? Again, cheap shot. While it would be nice if most of us could speak every European language + Latin, it turns out that NOT being surrounded by 20 countries each with their own unique language tends to require people to know those languages since you bump into them potentially daily. What two languages are HSs mainly offering? French and Spanish. Look north, then look south. And even the north part is a stretch.

4.) Finally, the "support our troops" vibes. Nothing wrong with that inherently, but he weaponizes it to make it seem like "you will never be as good as she is, look how patriotic and smart the troops are" and reminiscing of the good old days. Not quite sure why that part of the article was included unless it was only to draw sympathy from its target audience or further display the author's bias.
Zenophas
Bull Dog

Post by Zenophas »

Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

My father would say to his father, "It's incredible, you became an adult and never drove a car?!"

I said to my father, "Hard to believe to didn't see a TV till you were an adult."

Children today say, "You were an adult before the internet?!"

Their children will say, "You actually had to drive the car yourself??!"
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

Psychedelic Rhino wrote:My father would say to his father, "It's incredible, you became an adult and never drove a car?!"

I said to my father, "Hard to believe to didn't see a TV till you were an adult."

Children today say, "You were an adult before the internet?!"

Their children will say, "You actually had to drive the car yourself??!"
And we they will answer "only those Euros, our trannies were all automatic!" :D
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Do you think they will sell? Anyone wanting to (not) drive one will need a licence anyway, if they (don't) drive it a lot, they will probably be much worse at driving than the car. Most people who can already drive are probably going to find it extremely hard to let go of the wheel. I guess they will have to sneak the technology in slowly, offer some tax incentive or deny access to certain area's unless it is used.
Last edited by MrTwosheds on Tue May 08, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iron_Maiden
Bull Dog

Post by Iron_Maiden »