What Have You Learned Today?

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Zenophas
Bull Dog

Re: What Have You Learned Today?

Post by Zenophas »

Petroleum jelly is the wrong kind for sandwiches.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

That a single (fast) fly can be pretty annoying :D
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

That petroleum jelly can be used to catch flies.
Zenophas
Bull Dog

Post by Zenophas »

Psychedelic Rhino wrote:That petroleum jelly can be used to catch flies.
fly and petroleum jelly sandwich? Doesn't sound to good, eh.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

That apparently now religion is also something you can spam people with (well, beyond the house to house calls some religions make).

Got an email with as subject:
"I am a devoted Christian. I have chosen you for an inheritance. Please contact me for more details. Private contact email: mrshonorsdomotor2@alaboyu.com‏" (sender: Dottie Bean (dottieb@lexingtonky.gov))

Bye Mrs Bean ;)
Zenophas
Bull Dog

Post by Zenophas »

That Child Bride was a boring log of a film. There goes 62 minutes of my life.... *sigh*
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

That if you buy a DVI-D cable from StarTech, you actually get DVI-I. And that running dual monitors when only one works is really, really awkward.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Zenophas
Bull Dog

Post by Zenophas »

That huffing Air Duster makes me feel a bit stupider.
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

So . . . who of you was a geeky kid and built a crystal radio?

I have to admit, I built a couple.

But what about the possibility of building an inter-dimensional crystal resonance receiver? (subspace communication anyone?) Is it possible all that vast abundance of dark matter and energy all around us is a universe of intelligent beings just waiting for someone to say, "Anyone there?"

http://phys.org/news/2012-07-physics-te ... tml#ajTabs

http://arxiv.org/abs/1206.4772v1

MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Every computer gaming nerd knows what happens when you contact beings from other dimensions...Huge slimy tentacles and fangs popping up out of nowhere and doing unspeakable things to people... :)
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Axeminister
Sabre

Post by Axeminister »

Psychedelic Rhino wrote:So . . . who of you was a geeky kid and built a crystal radio?

I have to admit, I built a couple.

But what about the possibility of building an inter-dimensional crystal resonance receiver? (subspace communication anyone?) Is it possible all that vast abundance of dark matter and energy all around us is a universe of intelligent beings just waiting for someone to say, "Anyone there?"

http://phys.org/news/2012-07-physics-te ... tml#ajTabs

http://arxiv.org/abs/1206.4772v1

It makes sense that since this planet has been here 4 billion years and no aliens have come and robbed the earth of it's resources that that won't happen. More likely if there are aliens that can travel here that they terraformed this planet because of wars almost killing them off and there might be other planets like ours that are basically a continuation of an intelligent life form like ours from somewhere else.
He who does not advance themselves, endlessly becomes themselves.

http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/3606640
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

It would most certainly be interesting to know what is outside our universe, if anything at all.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

It would be bizarre if we have not been alone since the beginning of time.

Like fire, or the wheel, or the internet, something fundamental to the human experience could be right around the corner.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

MrTwosheds wrote:Every computer gaming nerd knows what happens when you contact beings from other dimensions...Huge slimy tentacles and fangs popping up out of nowhere and doing unspeakable things to people... :)
Thats not going to happen, so we'll just proceed ... 8-)
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

It makes sense that since this planet has been here 4 billion years and no aliens have come and robbed the earth of it's resources that that won't happen. More likely if there are aliens that can travel here that they terraformed this planet because of wars almost killing them off and there might be other planets like ours that are basically a continuation of an intelligent life form like ours from somewhere else.
Ahem, for the vast majority of that time we would not have been aware that they were aliens, we just assume everything here, came from here and that what we have seen in the tiny tiny amount of time, in which we have been aware enough to tell to tell the difference, is representative of those 4 billion years. Given the number of places they could come from (lots), the difficulty of getting here(very), and the vast swathe of time in which they could do that...It is highly improbable that any of them would actually turn up in this particular millennium, or the last.
Now I'm not going to be daft and pretend to understand what a "time crystal" is, can't see that the difference between spinning electrons (matter) or spinning ions actually makes a whole bunch of difference to a crystal or anything else. But should we manage, as implied, to communicate (instantly) through time/distance, then the whole ball game changes! Any tentacle laden, fang encrusted, slime dripping Alien smart enough to do the same, will be able to spot us from whenever and our little trick of hiding on a small speck of a planet in a quiet part of the cosmos will be blown! :lol:
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.