Economics, Resources

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

AcneVulgaris
Thunderbolt

Re: Economics, Resources

Post by AcneVulgaris »

You'll turn into a pumpkin, and we'll make pies out of you.
Warfreak
Rattler

Post by Warfreak »

Short of the thread losing relevance and needing a lock, you tell me RD.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Red Devil wrote:if someone "wins" this debate, what will happen?
No idea, I haven't been trying.

If I actually was I would probably grab the equations from http://watd.wuthering-heights.co.uk/sub ... maths.html and mix in a few more values to account for the fact that extraction rates are not constant because technology improves and fuel need is not static either. Would probably take about an hour to whip up something convincing even if it wasn't right, but I frankly don't care. I know all it would be is something for people who disagree to say is wrong or fake and others who agree to say is real or correct. The truth is you can't change the mind of someone who has already made up their mind, especially irrationally.
AcneVulgaris
Thunderbolt

Post by AcneVulgaris »

I will send $50 to the paypal account of your choice if you will perform this trivial service. You've spent a couple hours telling me all the various reasons why you can't do it. You can spare another hour to show me that you can.

I'm serious. I will even pay it in advance. Just PM me the address.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Gladly with no payment but it has to wait till after I graduate in June.
AcneVulgaris
Thunderbolt

Post by AcneVulgaris »

Marking my calendar. Will that be the beginning of June, or the end?

Oh, and it has to be correct. No fuzzy math. You made a concrete, provable statement. Back it up.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

AcneVulgaris wrote:Marking my calendar. Will that be the beginning of June, or the end?

Oh, and it has to be correct. No fuzzy math. You made a concrete, provable statement. Back it up.
Battlezone forum, bruh, so for real? Scope is blown.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Looks like you won't be needing the oil anyway. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=550Of-PYsME
AcneVulgaris
Thunderbolt

Post by AcneVulgaris »

All it lacks is Mr. Fusion technology to crack the water into hydrogen and Oxygen. I'm sure benevolent aliens will be along at any time now to bestow this upon us. The Drake equation proves it!
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Hmm, looks like that company vanished... Hoax or crushed by "New World Order"? Who knows.
I am lead to understand that water cracking is quite possible, but the energy input/output is equal. Don't see why that's a problem the same must be true for oil, just the energy input already happened a long time ago.
The Drake equation proves it!
N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
N = The number of communicative civilizations
R* = The rate of formation of suitable stars (stars such as our Sun)
fp = The fraction of those stars with planets. (Current evidence indicates that planetary systems may be common for stars like the Sun.)
ne = The number of Earth-like worlds per planetary system
fl = The fraction of those Earth-like planets where life actually develops
fi = The fraction of life sites where intelligence develops
fc = The fraction of communicative planets (those on which electromagnetic communications technology develops)
L = The "lifetime" of communicating civilizations

Frank Drake's own current solution to the Drake Equation estimates 10,000 communicative civilizations in the Milky Way.

He seems to have forgotten that they would need to "develop" at the same (relative) point in time as us, which would be quite a coincidence, given that our own L value is looking like its going to be very small.
Really this just an interstellar version of our own inability to see the "intelligence" already living around us. Many of them "communicate" ,just not with electromagnetic tech, and have a far larger L value than Humans will probably have.
It should also be noted that "communications" often attracts less welcome attention. Those who limit its use may increase their chances of survival.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

You can indeed run anything on water, the problem is the energy needed to split the water takes more than the output power.

Simple electrolysis just isn't sufficient and alternatives are unproven. Most hydrogen comes from oil so hydrogen powered cars run off oil too.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

MrTwosheds wrote: Frank Drake's own current solution to the Drake Equation estimates 10,000 communicative civilizations in the Milky Way.
...and i'll bet none of them speak any English. :roll:
AcneVulgaris
Thunderbolt

Post by AcneVulgaris »

Nielk1 wrote:You can indeed run anything on water, the problem is the energy needed to split the water takes more than the output power.

Simple electrolysis just isn't sufficient and alternatives are unproven. Most hydrogen comes from oil so hydrogen powered cars run off oil too.
That's the joke.
AcneVulgaris
Thunderbolt

Post by AcneVulgaris »

MrTwosheds wrote: I am lead to understand that water cracking is quite possible,
Having singed my eyebrows off verifying that my electrolysis experiment did indeed produce hydrogen, I can offer hands on validation there.

Red Devil wrote: ...and i'll bet none of them speak any English. :roll:
So living in the Milky Way is a lot like living in southern California.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

AcneVulgaris wrote:So living in the Milky Way is a lot like living in southern California.
Absolutely nothing compares to the insanity that is California.