Accelerator

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Accelerator

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

From a BZC thread.

Here's a little dynamic excel spreadsheet I whipped up that calculates interplanetary travel with a constant burn. Anything close to 1g will get you anywhere in the solar system within the time it takes to read a few novels. Try it for anywhere. Remember, a constant burn, then maybe a turnaround coast time of an hour or so, then the opposite 'de-acceleration' of the same duration. I think you'll be surprised. . .

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8174294/Accelerator.xlsx
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Re: Accelerator

Working through the amazing EXPANSE series done by Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck. Soon to be given moderately high budget attention by the Sci-Fy channel.

It made me recall this thread where I offered an Excel file to calculate the times. . .

Anyway, the storyline in the series is primarily based on the science that ships have the ability to thrust at virtually any survivable and/or comfortable g for a very prolonged period, allowing travel throughout the solar system in a matter of a few days to a few weeks.

Most excellently written.

DeusExCeteri
Rattler

Post by DeusExCeteri »

Firstly, let me compliment your choice of literature, I've only read up to Caliban's War but it's safe to say I'm hooked! Best space epic that I've had the pleasure of reading, I'd say.

Secondly, thanks for this handy little spreadsheet, I'm a bit surprised I didn't decide to whip something like this up for myself sooner given that I'm trying to write my own space stories. This is sure to come in handy, but not without a quick edit first. No offense to users of the Imperial system but it isn't taught in the schools up here and I can't rightfully wrap my head around it, I know my approximate height in feet but that's about it, so I added a second calculator to the sheet specifically for metric. I know it doesn't take a genius to rework a spreadsheet to use factors of ten instead of Imperial units but I may as well put this out there anyway, maybe someone else will find it useful.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7drtrbicpxny ... .xlsx?dl=0
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Thanks for the conversion. It's as you say, I see the imperial system more clearly, but slowly, over the past decade or so, becoming more "hard wired" to metric.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

I have read the first 4 and am looking out for the 5th. Excellent story telling, thankfully light the info overload of some "hard" SF, a good mix of action and intellect, with an occasional dose of kiddie saving heroism thrown in for good measure. :)
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.