Interesting Article Thread v.2

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Red Spot
Attila

Re: Interesting Article Thread v.2

Post by Red Spot »

Well, I think the US is about to lose a few allies if it keeps going on like this.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Probably not, you got to be realistic about this sort of stuff, all that's really happened is that someone told us little people what everyone else already knew anyway. Spy's spy, its what they are supposed to do, if you only spy on your enemy's you only get 1/2 the story...What probably should happen, is that "authorities" should start paying closer attention to the importance of communications network security. A very tricky task indeed if what you seek is to secure your own info while still being able to spy on everyone else's...

Of course its not just politics, industrial/commercial espionage is potentially far more profitable and dangerous these days. Choosing the path of insecurity in the name of security could be a mistake of world shaking proportions.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Do you keep up with the news? Didnt pick up that Germany is tempted to get the US government in court for their antics? ;)
Didnt pick up that Europe is slowelly getting tired of the unwanted big brother actions of the US government?
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

No not really :)
Well good for them, won't alter what anyone's intelligence agency's actually do though. They'll just have to try harder to not get caught. Relying on peoples honesty to not peek at your comms is a bit of a stupid approach. You either do your own communications technology and constantly evolving encryption or you put up with with the fact that the people who made it or bought the company can crack it.
If we're stupid enough to let ourselves be led by people who think their "made in China by an American company" phone is not easily accessed by both of those nations security services then we don't deserve to have any security. If we want security then we have to make our own networks and equipment and retain control over them and if your "head of encryption services" then accepts a high paying position in another nation, then you shoot him....That is how security works. :)
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Red Spot wrote:Well, I think the US is about to lose a few allies if it keeps going on like this.
Please, but be sure to state in nauseating detail why so the dumber of the population can get a clue about what their wonderful government has been up to. Idiots who don't even know what the country is doing are pissing me off.

It doesn't matter how easy or hard it is for the government to spy on us, it matters that it is still and has always been fundamentally illegal and every party that allowed this travesty should be brought up on charges, impeached, or otherwise removed from office.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

I'm sure its only Illegal for Americans to spy on Americans...that's why they got us to do it for them :) This is all post 911 stuff, you want to find terrorists you have to be able to spy on em, obviously this will end up with everyone spying on everyone else and everyone distrusting each other. If it doesn't evolve into a secure communications "arms race" then we are probably going to be in some trouble.
Keeping your own secrets is just as important as finding out those of others. Things are going to heat up soon, as the quantitative easing bubble prepares to burst, we're all going to need as many ways as possible to start earning real money again.
blue banana
Sabre

Post by blue banana »

It may not be morally correct for the US to spy on other countries, but it can pay off with valuable intelligence. There are many, many, more things going on that either presses don't tell us. However, the US may have gone overboard with it if they weren't caught. Going too far on spying can irritate others, and that is where the problem is. The only thing happening now is discussion about spying, but nobody is really pissed.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

AOL (still in business, how?) is shutting down Winamp soon (boo!). Fire up your downloads and burn the installer to CD!

-- GSH
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

AOL (still in business, how?)
Popularity is not an evolutionary trait commonly found in predators.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

GSH wrote:AOL (still in business, how?) is shutting down Winamp soon (boo!). Fire up your downloads and burn the installer to CD!

-- GSH
Damnit, I haven't had time to set up my alternate system.
Also, what will happen to shoutcast?
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Foobar 2000 recently replaced Winamp as my media player of choice.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

AHadley wrote:Foobar 2000 recently replaced Winamp as my media player of choice.
I think I need to make my own, nothing seems to support folksonamies like I try to do and my hackery to do it in winamp with a \[[^\]]+\] regex is pretty 'meh'.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Neat photos of deserted places.

-- GSH
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Put them all together and you may have the best haunted .. err .. place ever :)
(Scroll down a bit for the pictures, I almost missed it cause I didnt notice it.)
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Make hit computer game featuring abandoned place of choice...Instant theme park! :lol: