Occulus Rift - owned by Facebook(!)

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Ded10c
Recycler

Re: Occulus Rift - owned by Facebook(!)

Post by Ded10c »

Unfortunately that rats-on-a-sinking-ship mentality can cause trouble before the ship shows any signs of running aground, and in some cases can directly cause it.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Zero Angel wrote:On the other hand, when Facebook purchased WhatsApp a few weeks back
Didnt they talk about purchasing it but it actually did not happen .. yet?
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

And to think I was planning some useful things for Occulus to create virtual desktops of 1000s of possible screens.

Most likely Facebook just killed the thing via its acquisition. Sometimes, buying something is bad.
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

Nielk1 wrote:And to think I was planning some useful things for Occulus to create virtual desktops of 1000s of possible screens.
"We have to go deeper"
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep
TwinShadow
Sabre

Post by TwinShadow »

I saw this news posted on a couple android sites I visit for stuff. I've vaguely heard of the project a while back (I might have skimmed it before, but I can't say for certain), and this acquisition by FaceBook may have just killed the project already.

In some cases, some companies don't completely kill a company (Google with Nest I believe, it'll just be Google-branded most likely - there's also that Motorola debacle too, which worries me a little for such a great electronics company..). But what does bother me is when Facebook starts going out purchasing random (ok, maybe not truly random) start-ups and companies and then just not do anything with them; effectively just killing off the project entirely and grabbing patents to use to their advantage later, or just hold onto them.

Now, Facebook I'm not only just critical of, Google and Microsoft do the same exact thing. Just FB worries me more due to their insane practices of data-mining user data for crap on us since they want to know 100% of your life, what you do, etc... I'm sure the NSA loves them as its a great source to get information on random users whenever they want. Not that I trust Google, I mostly don't, but of most things I use, I may as well use Google's resources if the advantage is in my favor.

For Oculus itself, I may have bought one as it'd prove extremely useful for Flight Simulation, which I do a lot of. But Oculus will no longer be my go-to product for VR tech. Anything backed by FB is an immediate no-go for me since I make myself rather scarce online, and that means avoiding FB like the plague. But I'm sure another set of talented people will come up with something eventually. VR can be very fun to use in a lot of situations.
If you happen to be looking through my posts, I have completely dumped all things related to Battlezone. Do not contact me, do not bother me. Been harassed enough as it is and am done entirely.
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

One of my favorite internet shows covers the Oculus Rift / Facebook thing in their latest episode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag9c3eGSD58
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep