http://youtu.be/zQvWMdWhFCc
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep
GSH
Patch Creator

Re: So you want to be a game designer...

Post by GSH »

Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Monetization Designer: “We could charge the player $.99 to open the door now, or wait 24 hours for it to open automatically.”
disgusting...
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

I'm not against monetization. For example there used to be an amazing F2P game called Company of Heroes Online, that had the deep gameplay mechanics of the original CoH, but it was kicked up a notch by the player's abilities to kit themselves out with heroes, cards and a persistent skill tree. That game failed, commercially, because it was unable to monetize itself very well and in less than a year COHO (which was in Beta) shut down completely. I really miss COHO, and think that the devs couldve made it profitable, but it wouldve taken some time and development resources they didn't have, to take it in the right direction as far as being profitable is concerned.

Guild Wars 2 is an example of an MMO that has hybrid monetization that is fair to the player and reasonably profitable for the developers. You pay $60 for the game and get to play it however much amount of time you want for no monthly fees, but you can buy in-game stuff that makes things more convenient, nothing that's very important requires you to pay actual money -- and the game keeps getting content that's added periodically.

Anyways, without going into all the examples too much. Here's a video about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhz9OXy86a0
Last edited by Zero Angel on Sun May 04, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

I quite like the system Tribes Ascend uses, but that game's gone south lately with the lack of new players.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Shadow Knight
Thunderbolt

Post by Shadow Knight »

We're branching off from the main topic here, but Path of Exile's microtransaction model is great: cosmetics and stash tabs are available for real money, the game itself is entirely free and never tries to pressure you into paying for anything.
DutchBoy
Sober Scav

Post by DutchBoy »

Just wanted to say thank you for the posts, I ended up subscribing to that YouTube channel after watching a handful of episodes. And that link you posted GSH lol, great read.

edit: Just wanted to add that I agree with you Shadow Knight, PoE has a great F2P model, one that I've played to death and the money I did spend on that game. I enjoyed spending the money because it was a F2P model I respected and I wanted to support the developer because of that. One thing missing in that video about F2P is that there are a lot of models out there that are often referred to as P2W (Pay-to-Win), which some of the titles mentioned follow but I guess they just didn't want to throw that term out there.