Valve Cancels Paid Steam Mods for Skyrim

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Valve Cancels Paid Steam Mods for Skyrim

Post by TheJamsh »

Surprised this hasn't been talked about yet... (you guys do still talk around here... right :/?) Find it quite amusing that they took it down and are willing to refund everyone. Bloody stupid system to begin with that really wasn't thought through very well.. but there we go. At least one company listens to feedback.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWo ... 5253244218

Maybe it was the Valve-EA logos that took them back a bit...
Developer @ Stormtide
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2350#p40547 << My UE4 Battlezone Project

ModDB - Battlezone II Unofficial Expansion Pack
Baconboy
Attila

Re: Valve Cancels Paid Steam Mods for Skyrim

Post by Baconboy »

This is awesome. So glad this happened. Really reminds me why I still don't really have a poor taste in my mouth with Valve.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

A good idea, poorly executed. Unfortunately with something like this it's not very easy to test the system before releasing it, since you can't really predict an audience response. The same thing has happened with almost every store-wise change Valve has made to Steam, including the original launch. So far they've always managed to swing it back around in the end.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
TwinShadow
Sabre

Post by TwinShadow »

You know Valve is just going to come back and try the same crap again.

Easy solution would be just to have a donate button. Maybe a little bit goes to Valve for just hosting the files, sure. But none of it should go to the publisher/dev anyway as they're already paid as it is. And they have zero involvement in the first place with the mods in most cases. But only 25% initially going to the mod creator was absurd.
If you happen to be looking through my posts, I have completely dumped all things related to Battlezone. Do not contact me, do not bother me. Been harassed enough as it is and am done entirely.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

This article is one of the better ones on the subject from a content creator.

-- GSH
TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

That's pretty good. I was pretty heavily against the paid mods system, I'm still even today in the BZ2 modding mind-set where I think mods should be products of borderline insane passion. Then of course for Modern games, those pipelines get very long.. BZ2 modding is pretty easily by comparison, adding units takes maybe a day or two of work if you know your tools, whereas a modern engine would take a week or more for something to look perfect.

I like the idea of the system, I just think it was integrated very poorly. It's funny he should mention Patreon... a couple of users over in Unreal town have started producing free Marketplace content and ask for support via Patreon.
Developer @ Stormtide
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2350#p40547 << My UE4 Battlezone Project

ModDB - Battlezone II Unofficial Expansion Pack
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

I like the idea of modders forming licensed content mini-studios myself.