Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

LtFEED
Thunderbolt

Re: BZ3: Genesis

Post by LtFEED »

Thanks Clavin12 :)

here the animation test for the Prometheus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/LtFEED?feat ... NT_9uJ-3ns

Rice 303, the demo is setup to run on Unreal engine 3. the engine is a little old, but still cranks. i have Vista and i use 2Gb of RaM and the game runs fine.

here the link to the latest release:
http://forum.bz3genesis.com/bz3/index.php?topic=777.0

-LtF
LtFEED
Thunderbolt

Post by LtFEED »

Heres a concept drawing of a barracks model on Venus, done by Honda:

were trying to represent the atmosphere on Venus as best as possible, and it all starts with the models.
Baconboy
Attila

Post by Baconboy »

Not bad.
TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

Still strikes me as a massive shame that the chosen area for this project is BZ1/Pre BZ1. Damn shame... I'd have given this project so much more attention if it was a post-BZ2 effort. I really don't think its going to work or seem right creating BZ1 in a new engine. The tanks and overall design of BZ1 is too OLD to be succesful now... people like mechanical, overly detailed looking, realistic objects.

Also, I still think the in-game artwork looks very dull. I still don't see much that can't be done with stock BZ2 at the moment. It seems like the project has too few people working on lots of different things at once. It would be better to get the grounding code in place first, then find some talented artists to make it live.

That said, good-looking and sounding games always make people working on them feel more inclined to do so.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

TheJamsh wrote:Still strikes me as a massive shame that the chosen area for this project is BZ1/Pre BZ1. Damn shame... I'd have given this project so much more attention if it was a post-BZ2 effort. I really don't think its going to work or seem right creating BZ1 in a new engine. The tanks and overall design of BZ1 is too OLD to be succesful now... people like mechanical, overly detailed looking, realistic objects.

Also, I still think the in-game artwork looks very dull. I still don't see much that can't be done with stock BZ2 at the moment. It seems like the project has too few people working on lots of different things at once. It would be better to get the grounding code in place first, then find some talented artists to make it live.

That said, good-looking and sounding games always make people working on them feel more inclined to do so.
Keep in mind that old school and hardcore bz1ers resent bz2 in almost every form, even going so far as to deny it canonically. I can't really blame them either..
RubiconAlpha
Rattler

Post by RubiconAlpha »

Keep in mind that old school and hardcore bz1ers resent bz2 in almost every form, even going so far as to deny it canonically. I can't really blame them either..
Well said. BZ2 was more of a reboot than a true "next chapter" in the series IMO. If they had kept it more like The Red Odyssey and had nations still fighting each other for Bio Metal tech many of us old school fans would have welcomed it more. The Scion story line never worked for me and thankfully Forgotten Enemies gave us some real enemies to fight that was more true to the original BZ1 story line.

From the game art floating around for BZ1 there was still some life to the BZ1 story line that could have been fleshed out more.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

We have managed to turn BZ1, BZ2, and the mods and expansions into a cohesive story. If you want to sit down some time I can go through it. We also have some mods in progress with stories that expand on what we have like a spiral. Basically expanding into an entire universe much of the quality of many big name IPs. All this just from the community.
TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

Zax wrote:Keep in mind that old school and hardcore bz1ers resent bz2 in almost every form, even going so far as to deny it canonically. I can't really blame them either..
I'd take BZ2 over BZ1 anyday. They are IMO completely separate games, and should have been released as different series' rather than as follow ons with loosely-connected ties to each other. Thats the way I've always looked at them.

BZ1's art style, the design of the craft etc. None of it works in a newer fancier engine, where graphics and attention to detail is everything. BZ1 ships are clumsy-looking malformed cubes, limp textures with hazard lines painted all over them, it wouldn't look right in a new engine.

Picture UT3 with that kind of craft and gameplay in it. It doesnt WORK. The newer engines get and the prettier things are the more modernised they have to play. For example, if in BZ3 I can walk up to a craft and get in it without any sort of climbing animation, without the cockpit opening and without the craft firing up its engines I would rage quit for such lack of attention to detail! Detail is everything. If there are no visible handles on a craft that i can grab onto and hold while its flying around I would be equally devastated.

I just cannot see this working.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

If there are no visible handles on a craft that i can grab onto and hold while its flying around I would be equally devastated.
Lol, I can imagine that as a strategy of last resort in strat, all thugs clinging to the sides of the one remaining ship, doing a desperate bazooka rec rush as the enemy closes on their base. :)
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

TheJamsh wrote:should have been released as different series' rather than as follow ons with loosely-connected ties to each other.
Careful... I am still the rabid BZC fan I was 5 years ago and I can make it all work together, so importantly 2 cannot exist without 1.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

TheJamsh wrote:
Zax wrote:Keep in mind that old school and hardcore bz1ers resent bz2 in almost every form, even going so far as to deny it canonically. I can't really blame them either..
I'd take BZ2 over BZ1 anyday. They are IMO completely separate games, and should have been released as different series' rather than as follow ons with loosely-connected ties to each other. Thats the way I've always looked at them.

BZ1's art style, the design of the craft etc. None of it works in a newer fancier engine, where graphics and attention to detail is everything. BZ1 ships are clumsy-looking malformed cubes, limp textures with hazard lines painted all over them, it wouldn't look right in a new engine.

Picture UT3 with that kind of craft and gameplay in it. It doesnt WORK. The newer engines get and the prettier things are the more modernised they have to play. For example, if in BZ3 I can walk up to a craft and get in it without any sort of climbing animation, without the cockpit opening and without the craft firing up its engines I would rage quit for such lack of attention to detail! Detail is everything. If there are no visible handles on a craft that i can grab onto and hold while its flying around I would be equally devastated.

I just cannot see this working.
There is also the totally opposite perspective that bz2 ships are light, airy, impossible to control and feel like they just slide all over the place.

Bz2 physics always were, still are, and always will be a bad fit for my gameplay. Bz1 felt like your tank was a mass accelerating. Bz2 just lacks that feeling of mass. You can say mod this tweak that, but out of the box is what is important. Same goes to Nielk about "making" the story work. Nobody should have to make the square peg fit in the round hole, and if they do then the designers screwed up somewhere.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Zax wrote:Same goes to Nielk about "making" the story work. Nobody should have to make the square peg fit in the round hole, and if they do then the designers screwed up somewhere.
Actually we just made it fit better.

Un-enhanced information as per stock BZ2 IP:

Braddock developed Scions based on the opposite ratio (not *exactly*, I say this figuratively) of what made the Furies, then they escaped. He launched a missile to stop the discovery of his operations on the Dark Planet and a Scion attack on Cerberus base was so perfectly timed it was easy to blame the Voyager 2 take down on the Scions too. He had Cooke destroy the evidence later, that 'drilling rig'.

With the instruction booklet are all the details needed to link the characters to the events of BZ1, such as reports of a battle against the Furies that destroyed the Black Dogs and gave Braddock the men he needed for Project Pedigree.

The modifications made are only to make pools make sense as well as tying TRO in and flushing out the details of the provided links.

Our work on the story only make the round peg ornate, the hole was round and so was the peg. It is astonishing how many people can't keep the links between BZ1 and BZ2 straight, but then again some people still think BOTH BZ2 ending happened, Scion then ISDF. They then think the destroyed New/Dark Core from FE was damaged by blowing up the Core Computer at the end of the ISDF mission.

It fits very easily. I probably see it this way because I am a sponge for information that establishes a universe so that I may work within that universe.

EDIT:
In BZ2, the ISDF is a police force to prevent criminal and military action within the ranks of Humanity. It is ironic that the Alien menace that so put off people was in fact human and a product of criminal action by Braddock.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

Putting half the story in the manual was a design choice for games of that generation. It fails today and mostly did back then, because who reads those. The gameplay and story should intertwine, but I can't really complain since bz(2) aren't really AAA games.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Probably the biggest problem with BZ2's storyline is the misinformation. That's what confuses most people. The two most notable examples are the Secret History bit in the manual (claims the Scions and Furies are one and the same) and one of Braddock's debriefings. That's most likely where people's ties fall apart.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

I am a pathological analyzer, never got caught up on the misinformation bits of the leaked semi-right history or Braddock's initial briefings and debriefings.