Void Destroyer - RTS/FPS in Spaaaaaaace.

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Slaor
Drunken Scav

Void Destroyer - RTS/FPS in Spaaaaaaace.

Post by Slaor »

Howdy all! Long time users may have noticed my prolonged absence, I've been busy...

As many would be aware, I was planning to release a space fleet TC with Epic which allowed player to command and control armadas of frigates and destroyers in orbital and deep space battles. The assets are built for that and it may still see the light of day if the other fellas get around to it.

However the reason I stopped working on it is because I found an indie project which sets out to do much the same thing and more...

http://www.voiddestroyer.com

It's still early days, not a lot of art in it yet and what there is is heavily WIP (and not much by way of shaders or shadows etc yet either), but if you think you might enjoy a game that already plays like a cross between BZ, Homeworld and Iwar then you might want to keep a eye on it over the next few months. Also if you are interested, check my blog at http://slaor.blogspot.com for more news and hit the forums with suggestions - you will be heard.

Last edited by Slaor on Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zero Angel
Attila

Re: Void Destroyer - RTS/FPS in Spaaaaaaace.

Post by Zero Angel »

Hey Slaor, i've sent you a PM on BZ2MD. I hope you will check your mailbox there.

That said, the screenshot looks friggen sweet!
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

awesome! I want some!
Slaor
Drunken Scav

Post by Slaor »

Next alpha will be out in a few hours I hear...
Slaor
Drunken Scav

Post by Slaor »

We decided to run with a Cel shaded toon look - partly cos we both fans of the old 80s manga but mainly so I could concentrate on smashing out a bunch of models and FX without needing to worry about shaders etc (all the graphical whiz bang will be full screen compositors instead, later). Plan is to make a persistent open world so you will slowly build up the base and tech and construct huge fleets to take the whole system. There'll be scavenging and trading and bounties and missions and piracy etc etc - and lots of space battles.

Player is aboard a large and powerful command ship with upgrade-able special abilities (enemy hack, shield wall etc) but may remote pilot any friendly ship from fighters to carriers. Enemy bases can be conquered and occupied to expand territories, capital ships can use G-drive to fast travel between gravity wells. Should be lotsa fun, already great to fly. Get into it and push for BZ style interface systems, he's not sold on it yet ;)
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

Looks very nice. Love that missile tracking. Reminds me of shadowers in BZ or a touch of HomeWorld 2.
Slaor
Drunken Scav

Post by Slaor »

Iteration 11 Alpha build is now available at http://www.voiddestroyer.com. Enjoy :)
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

Thought the TC mod was postponed due to 1.3 being a moving target, which it was destined to be (permanent WIP) ...maybe I am confusing for another one.
LtFEED
Thunderbolt

Post by LtFEED »

thats looks great 8-) Is that Unreal? if not what engine are you using? Most space games look really bland, but that screen don't!

Thats some fancy texturing you got there, nice! :)

cant wait to see more. Any in game capts yet?

-LtF
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

Actually, I'm in charge of trying to make any Epic Fleet thingy space map stuff... Unless slaor wants to take the reins back?

In short, I haven't gotten around to it yet... :cry:
Slaor
Drunken Scav

Post by Slaor »

We're using Ogre - which, thanks to a thriving community of code gurus and other assorted genius can basically do whatever you want it to. Texturing is in fact really basic yet, just diffuse and spec with single light source and lots of sharing. Grab the demo and check it out.

@GBD - na lol all yours whenever you get to it mate, this is keeping me pretty busy ;)
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Looking good, Slaor... think I'll have to get into modding that when it comes out.
Slaor
Drunken Scav

Post by Slaor »

It's being designed from ground up with modding in mind already, object definition stuff is all in plain text XML - Paul the programmer hopes that modders will take it on with eg: B5 or Star Trek fleets, would be nice to see.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

wait...

Void Destroyer...

the only way to destroy a void is to fill it up with something...so, maybe it could be called Hole Filler?

:geek:
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Red Devil wrote:wait...

Void Destroyer...

the only way to destroy a void is to fill it up with something...so, maybe it could be called Hole Filler?

:geek:
I find it far more likely that "Void" is synonymous with "Space".
:ugeek: