Void Destroyer - RTS/FPS in Spaaaaaaace.

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Ded10c
Recycler

Re: Void Destroyer - RTS/FPS in Spaaaaaaace.

Post by Ded10c »

Nielk1 wrote:I find it far more likely that "Void" is synonymous with "Space".
:ugeek:
Empty space is also "destroyed" by filling it up with something.

Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

AHadley wrote:

In this case I think the allusion is to space. It's literary rather than literal.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Nielk1 wrote:
AHadley wrote:

In this case I think the allusion is to space. It's literary rather than literal.

If you go down that road the name makes no sense at all, so it can't be that. BTW, you didn't out-smilie me - I win

Also, cool game Slaor :P
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

actually, if you fly into it with a spaceship, then it is no longer a void, so it fits :D
Slaor
Drunken Scav

Post by Slaor »

I actually like just "Void" - kinda cool and hasn't been used AFAIK (except The Void which is like an old txt adventure or something). And yes smartasses you destroy a void by filling it, in this case mostly with debris.

Making all that debris is fun anyways - like I said it's heavily WIP, once we get some more assets in and the open world thing starts evolving it should have a lot to offer. There are some great ideas in the mix already so stay tuned.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

Slaor wrote:I actually like just "Void" - kinda cool and hasn't been used AFAIK (except The Void which is like an old txt adventure or something). And yes smartasses you destroy a void by filling it, in this case mostly with debris.

Making all that debris is fun anyways - like I said it's heavily WIP, once we get some more assets in and the open world thing starts evolving it should have a lot to offer. There are some great ideas in the mix already so stay tuned.
Any relation to Radix: Beyond the void?
Slaor
Drunken Scav

Post by Slaor »

No, standalone indie. Gotta come up with a whole world (several in fact).
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

keep the names simple and let the places define themselves; like Earth. sounds dull as dirt, but is magical in its reality.
Zenophas
Bull Dog

Post by Zenophas »

This looks interesting, but that moon thing make my eyes bleed.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

Zenophas wrote:This looks interesting, but that moon thing make my eyes bleed.
Actually, I think it's an asteroid, with some structure attached to it.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Tried it, I think spaceship captains must be specially bred to have more fingers than most, couldn't get it together with the controls at all.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

text in the tutorial was not sharp and was hard to read. ship kept tumbling when i was trying to control it. might want to reset its attitude and controls between each tutorial objective.
Slaor
Drunken Scav

Post by Slaor »

Hmm havent played recent tutes, will have a look. We should eventually do away with tutes, rather use the first few missions to introduce controls and functions slowly - much more elegant. It will come, got a lot of models to build first.

@mrTwosheds - lol, its mostly WSAD, T to target and mouse - but there are a few keys you probably should know to have the most fun with it, and having 9 digits on each hand never hurt anybody. TBH I find it more laborious in your average console port eg: Arkham City - streamlining the interface is a priority however, we want it to be a game not a sim...controls will be fully configurable, GUI will likely be redesigned once we know exactly what buttons it needs.

Any critique is useful, you guys have modded enuff to know the drill - that's the advantage of being small in a niche, we can tailor it to the people we KNOW want to play it most. The programmer is a great fella, innovative and very open to suggestions, but is unfamiliar with the elegance and awsomeness that is the BZ GUI ;) Since we're building it from the ground up, we can incorporate practically any features we or players want within the parameters of the game we want to play - KISS is the overriding principle, but emergent tactics and layers of more or less optional complexity (like base economics which is largely automated and can be safely ignored if you are content with a mediocre output) are a nominal result.

Anyways I figure there must be more than 2 Homeworld fans out there who was gagging to drive the ships the whole time, especially here ;)

Having played BZ2 so heavily has got to be a bonus when making a hybrid game like this - we can avoid some of the pitfalls. Already the game can be more or less played however you want rather than force either RTS or FPS on you - I tend to sit in cockpit a lot and thug it with my wingmen cos I dig the physics and could readily be described as a violent psychopathic pyromaniac, whereas programmer likes to use RTS micromanagement more.

Crossing over is encouraged but not strictly necessary - base functions can already be fully automated so it builds its own platforms and ships, this may form the basis of a dedicated "Freelancer" thug mode for players that just want to fly and do missions if enough players seem to want it - you can already play it as a pure RTS...but player will still be responsible for completing missions however he chooses to do it, and player interaction will usually prove far superior to whatever the automation can provide to encourage player input.

The other thing about this that makes it a bit different from BZ is that (except for Mother ship -> currently a placeholder until we work out all the upgraded bits it needs) you command your units by remote helm control - therefore you can zip instantly to any ship in the fleet. No more frantically hitting "hold position" in response to distant beeps when you can just transfer your POV to a local ship, much less abstract. However like BZ player still exists as a pilot - so EVA missions are also potentially on the cards, as well as being able to remote pilot just about anything in the game from the command vessel.

Lots in store so stay tuned.
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

Slaor wrote:Anyways I figure there must be more than 2 Homeworld fans out there who was gagging to drive the ships the whole time, especially here ;)
It's cool you recognize this. Ten years ago or so when I was playing Home World 2 and Independence War and IW2, I thought it would be such an amazing game if a dev crossed the two. . .an amazing 3D RTS in space along with sim-ish flight control.

If I had had something like that 12 years ago, I'd probably still be stuck on it as I am with BZ.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

will it be playable on tablets, too?