Slender

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Re: Slender

Post by Nielk1 »

HitchcockGreen wrote:
Nielk1 wrote:
HitchcockGreen wrote:Only the Slenderman of Celtic myth came first. I'm afraid Enderman predates Slenderman by at least half a year.
Then why did Notch note the basis of the Enderman being Slenderman?

I mean, FFS, look at the post date of the first Marble Hornets video.
Hey don't get testy. I presumed you meant first appearance in the games, not through webisodes generally unrelated.
"generally unrelated"?! That series is the literal birth of Slender Man beyond the Something Awful Forums where it was first concepted. And the ENTIRE slenderman mythos is fabricated, well after than historical events or figures.
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

Generally unrelated in terms of game development, sure.
Either way, who cares?
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

The classic 'oh damn I'm wrong'. "Who cares?"
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

Oh brother.
"who cares" as in we're splitting hairs over something I barely care about at all. I have no problem admitting I'm wrong, do you?
If the videos are to be taken as the first 'appearance in-game' of one character, then by all means, you're right, if hearing it makes you feel better.
My point was only that in actual game-play, Enderman appeared first and I said as much.
But if the videos are considered backstory and part of Slender's development, then I don't argue that character came first. Whether it was intended to be a character in a game at that point, I do not know.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. Who cares?
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

HitchcockGreen wrote:Aside from the "slender man" being kind of an enderman knockoff
That's not how it reads.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

Yes, as I said, that's how it appears as Slenderman doesn't actually appear in a game until after Enderman.
VSMIT
Sabre

Post by VSMIT »

Yes, because games are the only source of canon ever.
Silence is banal.
              -IX
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

VSMIT wrote:Yes, because games are the only source of canon ever.
Well let's go put some words in my mouth.

*Again* the only point of contention here (and I couldn't even call it that, really) is whether the videos were actually intended as a backstory to the game prior to it's release/development or if that came later. That I don't know. If that's the case, then yes, I wholeheartedly conceded that slenderman came first (even though he did already as a non-video game character).

My original point stands; to first appearances in pixels, enderman came first by a good six months.

Come on guys, seriously. If we're going to get this pissy about the origins of a character in a little-known video game then let's just lock the thread and move on.
forgottengames
Sabre

Post by forgottengames »

Now now, there's no need to get all testy over a silly game. Slenderman is, in my opinion, just the personification of a fear of a faceless, unidentifiable person.

FUN FACT FOR ALL DEAD SPACE PLAYERS:
Did any of you realize that the "Divider" enemy from Dead Space 2 was inspired by Slenderman? Numerous tentacles, faceless head, long fingers, etc.
It's a cold world and THIS IS ICE
VSMIT
Sabre

Post by VSMIT »

HitchcockGreen wrote: Well let's go put some words in my mouth.
Except that I'm not. I'm taking what you said previously, fighting Nielk1 over the origins of Slenderman.
*Again* the only point of contention here (and I couldn't even call it that, really) is whether the videos were actually intended as a backstory to the game prior to it's release/development or if that came later. That I don't know. If that's the case, then yes, I wholeheartedly conceded that slenderman came first (even though he did already as a non-video game character).
Read up. You might just learn something.
My original point stands; to first appearances in pixels, enderman came first by a good six months.
Because art generated or altered with a computer doesn't use pixels.
Come on guys, seriously. If we're going to get this pissy about the origins of a character in a little-known video game then let's just lock the thread and move on.
No.
Silence is banal.
              -IX
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

VSMIT wrote:
HitchcockGreen wrote: Well let's go put some words in my mouth.
Except that I'm not. I'm taking what you said previously, fighting Nielk1 over the origins of Slenderman.
Read up. You might just learn something.
Because art generated or altered with a computer doesn't use pixels.
No.
lol
ok.
I'm not "fighting." In fact, if you go back and read, you'll see I'm not the one that took the angry tone. i don't care one way or the other, honestly. Sure, videos can be cannon. Again, you're putting words in my mouth by saying I'm arguing that. CLEARLY I state that I mean in-game and say so more than once. I also concede that if the videos are considered canon then by all means Slenderman came first and therefore Slenderman came first.
But whatever. I'm done with this discussion.

Actually, the whole concept makes me think of the Wendigo.