Fallout 3 (and more than likelly also Fallout: New Vegas)

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Red Spot
Attila

Fallout 3 (and more than likelly also Fallout: New Vegas)

Post by Red Spot »

I really reeeeaaaallly need to advertise this game, I feel like kicking myself in the face repeatedly for not purchasing this game years ago.

The game rocks, just the way the game starts and your first ingame words are 'gooo gaga dadda' already gives a sense of actually growing up in the gameworld.

The reason I didnt really got myself interested in the game was cause I played Morrowind and Oblivion and allthough those are very entertaining games, I didnt feel like getting a 3th of the (more or less) same game, but its far from the same game, eventhough the engine (afaik) is a redefinded version of Oblivions engine.

The game makes you think, no gunslinging and killing 20 badguys at a time. You'll get low on ammo quickly, stuff isnt all that easilly repaired and the combatsystem isnt all that forgiving like in the previous 2 games (Morrowing & Oblivion) where you could simply train your character if you had difficulties.

If this is remotely the genre of games you like, I really recommend you get it.
I will surelly get New Vegas when I'm finished with F3, which will take some time. :)

One of the most interesting things I found, compared to the previous 2 games, dynamic events.
Little spoiler about that below:

First time I got to the Super Duper Mart I found an event to play out, where my interaction set some events in montion .. I died. Reloaded and found a completelly different event to play out, no interaction needed, gunslinging for my life was needed (just 5 enemies of which 3 only had melee weapons).
I reloaded to see if the event would change or was just pick between those 2 events, I noted at least 6 different events to play out in front of the Super Duper Mart and thats cause after reloading a few times I felt like actually continueing my path, so there may be many more events that can happen.
I like that! :)

Many quests also seem to have a number of different outcomes (based on good or bad karma, or skipping parts, or taking the long route, etc).
Echo 343
Rattler

Re: Fallout 3 (and more than likelly also Fallout: New Vegas

Post by Echo 343 »

Fallout is one of my favorite franchises, but I do prefer the aiming in New Vegas compared to 3 though. Once you add mods, the game stability starts to tank rather fast, which is unfortunate.

Don't freak if the game launcher crashes repeatedly either, it'll work eventually. Overall its a good game.
:.Lingering Echo.:
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Dont use the launcher :)
Using the launcher I need to select the DLC datafiles each and every time I start the game. Did some googling on that and found out the launcher is rather bugged, use it once to set the settings to your preferences, than use the actual game's .exe to launch.
Echo 343
Rattler

Post by Echo 343 »

I launch through FOMM, so thankfully that issue is gone. When you get tired of the vanilla experience, the plethora of mods will keep you entertained long after. I have a little over 600 hours because of that very reason. :lol:

I'm pretty sure Fallout 2 had special/random encounters too, its just easier to find the ones in F03. There's very few in New Vegas, but there is a mod that takes care of that.
:.Lingering Echo.:
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

I read about FOMM, but I also know how stuff like that works for me. As soon as I get modding tools or start reading up on it, I start modding. Which probably results in the same outcome as it did for me with Morrowind, which I never completed eventhough I played it to near the end 6 or so times, simply cause I kept modding the game .. I rather play the game first :)
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

I always play a game first before modding, else, how can you make something that really fits the universe and mechanics?
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

If you play a game like Morrowind for 60 hours, you're perfectly capable of deciding its too easy and start increasing the health/damage/items on NPC's to make it more difficult for yourself. That alone, in a game like Morrowind, is a big undertaking.
So yes, it is perfectly viable to mod a game before you even come close to completing it a first time.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Was watching a movie how about some town blowing up that goody two shoes me saved .. and found this .. :twisted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm0guGPQbqg
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Red Spot wrote:If you play a game like Morrowind for 60 hours, you're perfectly capable of deciding its too easy and start increasing the health/damage/items on NPC's to make it more difficult for yourself. That alone, in a game like Morrowind, is a big undertaking.
So yes, it is perfectly viable to mod a game before you even come close to completing it a first time.
I never said a thing about completing the game, simply that you need to experience the large scope of that part you are changing.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

I believe that goes without saying Nielk.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Red Spot wrote:I believe that goes without saying Nielk.
You would think, but you'd be surprised :/
So many story mods that have no idea how the storyline they are trying to "extend" even really goes. On so many mods. On so many games. I cringe often as I tend to get a good handle on stories and universes only to find a cool mod get it all wrong on basic "this happened in front of you in the stock game" events. ('What if' storyline mods notwithstanding.)
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Nielk1 wrote:So many story mods that have no idea how the storyline they are trying to "extend" even really goes. On so many mods. On so many games. I cringe often as I tend to get a good handle on stories and universes only to find a cool mod get it all wrong on basic "this happened in front of you in the stock game" events. ('What if' storyline mods notwithstanding.)
Frankly, I think most BZ2 mods do that at some point.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

This game is really growing on me. Yesterday I found 'the mall' and had a blast in 'WW1' type of fighting vs a legion of mutants, awesome!
Dont think I'll ever go back to playing Morrowing or Oblivion.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Someone gave me this game. I played it twice...right through :) It is very enjoyable. Don't follow the main plot-line as your priority or you get to the end of the game too quickly. Do as many of the little sub plots as possible.
Also do checkout the wiki on line, its the only way you will ever find some of the unique items. Get a companion! you can only have 1 human companion at a time but they are very useful for carrying the stuff you find. There is also a dog companion so you can have him and 1 human.
Sadly it lacks replayability twice is about as far as it will go, once good, once bad. Both are fun.
"What the **** I've been standing here forever"
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

I've found Morrowind to be the weakest of the Bethesda games I've played. I've tried three times to get into it, but after 5-10 hours, there's no reason to keep playing. First time I played, I followed the main quest until Captain Diaperpants (not his real name) said "you're too low a level, go off and explore for a while before you can do anything." That's a sign that the game's just plain padded. The other times I've played, I've mostly ignored the main quest, and just find it a chore running over the landscape again and again. All of Morrowind seems to be built around wasting the player's time in the guise of realism prioritized over fun. In my last playthru, I installed a mod to make the Stiltstriders a fully connected net -- in stock, if you want to go from city A to C, you had to stiltstrider A->B, loading screen, turn around, then select B->C, loading screen. The mod I picked up (don't recall the exact name) let you do A->C at one click. Add to that the useless quest log (as a journal), and it's a pain to get back into if you ever pause.

A bunch of purists hate the fast travel added in Oblivion (and Fallout 3/NV/Skyrim), but I find it cuts out the useless boring parts of the game when a 3-city fetch quest needs to be completed.

The speedruns of Morrowind and Oblivion are pretty impressive.

-- GSH