Trouble with BF2:Bad Company 2

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Axeminister
Sabre

Trouble with BF2:Bad Company 2

Post by Axeminister »

I have never been able to get this game online because it keeps saying I need to have Punkbuster installed to play in servers that have it (and apparently they all have it because the auto-choose-a-server thing doesn't set me up with a server) and so I can never get in a game. I found the Punkbuster program in a folder on the cd, ran it and it re-installs but the test it runs comes up saying the firewall isn't set (basically), so I set an "Allow" rule for the program executable but it still won't get online, it acts like punkbuster is not installed when I try to join a server.
I was so frustrated when this happened to me back in June I haven't picked up the game since, but really have quite a few friends begging me to join them online. Can anyone of the BZ2 guru's help me figure this out?
Warfreak
Rattler

Re: Trouble with BF2:Bad Company 2

Post by Warfreak »

Axeminister wrote:Punkbuster
I get randomly booted by servers in BF2142 and in some cases BF2 because of it. Punkbuster in general doesn't like be be run on a system it doesn't have direct admin rights on it seems. My router, firewall and my permissions should allow it to function, but instead it refuses to start up and has done this for 6 years now.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

i'd uninstall BF:BC2, restart, re-install it, then restart.

also check to see that the PnkBstrA service is running (Control Panel/Administrative Tool/Services).

Also check for PunkBuster updates at their website.

http://www.evenbalance.com/

Current version:

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 v1.826 v2.277 | A1382

check if you are running it as Administrator, too

you can also get it on sale at Steam at times.
Axeminister
Sabre

Post by Axeminister »

Ok, I got a little excited when I noticed a program at RD's link that will set up your firewall and update your Punkerbuster for you, but after I ran it then started the game I get the same message about needing to have Punkbuster installed. I did check to make sure it is running under the Control Panel, and it is. Also I have already uninstalled the game and re-installed it complete with updating the game and everything, which took quite a long time, back in June. I'm not going to spend 4 hours doing it again. I guess I just can't play online with this one freaking game.
I have Windows 7 by the way.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

see the post at the bottom of this page?

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/510997.page
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

I was going to say similar, in that you said you allowed the BF2 executable. . . but also insure PB is not in conflict with your FW as well.
squirrelof09
Sabre

Post by squirrelof09 »

Is the punkbuster service running? It seems like I've had that issue and that was my fix.

Click start -> right click computer and click manage.
Expand Services and Applications and click Services

I don't have punkbuster on my system, so I don't know exactly what you should look for and I'd start with looking for something labeled punkbuster in it's name or description. If you find it, verify that it is in the running state.
Axeminister
Sabre

Post by Axeminister »

Here was the fix, had to figure half of it out for myself. At EvenBalances(Punkbuster) website I went to "Oftern asked questions" and one of the items was to find the PnkBstrA executable in windows and give it admin privileges. That got me to joining online servers, but the second executable, PnkBstrB wouldn't activate so itwouldn't let me in the world. I went and gave it admin privileges too and wala, I'm in. I hope I don't have to go through this with Battlefield 3. I've had this game for months and just now figuring this out.
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

RD isn't even able to launch BF3 without crashing to desktop so that would be a minor inconvenience.