HD Sabre complete.

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

bigbadbogie
Bull Dog

Re: HD Sabre complete.

Post by bigbadbogie »

AHadley wrote:I'd like to see it with some squadron colours on. Which areas change colour? Is there anywhere earmarked for insignias? Depending on how deep you're going into this, you could get really serious with skin variations. Would add a lot of flavour to the game.
I haven't done the team-colour skin yet. That comes later.
General BlackDragon wrote:IMO it looks a bit too rounded and sleek.
How's that even possible? :P
MrTwosheds wrote:Can I get one in orange? :lol:
I specifically avoided adding too much orange, as people have complained about that since the middle-ages.
"You think that you can wipe out an entire civilisation without consequences?" - Rachel

http://www.moddb.com/mods/qf2-essence-to-a-thief
https://www.indiedb.com/games/husky-ashcon-i/
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

bigbadbogie wrote:
AHadley wrote:I'd like to see it with some squadron colours on. Which areas change colour? Is there anywhere earmarked for insignias? Depending on how deep you're going into this, you could get really serious with skin variations. Would add a lot of flavour to the game.
I haven't done the team-colour skin yet. That comes later.
General BlackDragon wrote:IMO it looks a bit too rounded and sleek.
How's that even possible? :P
MrTwosheds wrote:Can I get one in orange? :lol:
I specifically avoided adding too much orange, as people have complained about that since the middle-ages.
People complained about the orange because it's not a very good colour for camo. Neither is the white/metallic used here. Also nor is the white/red of the CCA, CRA beige/red, etc.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

Hey, don't knock the chinese
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
bigbadbogie
Bull Dog

Post by bigbadbogie »

When I finish the team-colour skin, you will be able to set it to orange if you so desire.
"You think that you can wipe out an entire civilisation without consequences?" - Rachel

http://www.moddb.com/mods/qf2-essence-to-a-thief
https://www.indiedb.com/games/husky-ashcon-i/
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Don't know if you read my post on multi-materials-on-one mesh, some time ago, but it is possible for you to define textures per polygon in the xsi, so you could design with nice team color go faster stripes in mind, rather than the all over colour of the originals.
This green colour on my avatar is team colour. It might require a bit of notepad adjustment to the exported xsi and using 2 textures, one without a c0 version.

Make a renamed copy of your original 00 texture and a second material in max, apply to selected areas. Export xsi, Load in game and see that it did not work! team color is all over or not at all...
Open xsi, find the long vertical list of 0000's, it should now have 111,s in it too, defining the material for each polygon, swap all 0,s for 1,s and 1,s for 0,s...might need to swap textures in the 2 materials now defined in the materials section too.
Yes this is all a bit WTF? but I guess its got something to do with the order in which meshbuilder applies team colors to the mesh. Load model again and now hopefully the team color texture will only appear on one of the polygon selections you made in max. :)
Last edited by MrTwosheds on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

That's slightly hackier than the glowskin method but if it works it no doubt would produce a better result. I'd like to see what a model looks like with that applied.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

My avatar has green team color and glowskins on it. the grey shoulder, grill and ear-lights have no team color, the ear-lights and light green panels use glowskins. It is a single mesh.
The eyestalk is another mesh and a "turret". The same unit/model is in the background with another team color.

No its not too clear why it works like that...I suspect mesh builder has to find the non team colour bits first or something. Its more like bug avoidance than hacking, xsi can clearly do multiple materials, but its mesh builder that does not implement them correctly.
The down side is having more textures to load, this works well for me as I use the same Dalek texture sets on multiple unit types rather than a unique set for each model.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Josiah
Sabre

Post by Josiah »

nice, it looks like there are armored 'plates' of biometal supported by more mundane materials forming a skeleton, something I always wanted to do...
Attempting to debate with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead. - Thomas Paine

Light travels faster than sound...
This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

looks good except for the area under the turret being a weak point armor-wise. a well-placed shot in there would pop that turret right off. perhaps it could be extended down a bit to provide some shielding?
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Bio Metal

EDD Armor

look it up
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

i did - when you were in diapers.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Whats with the diapers remark?

EDD armor, means Equal Distribution of Damage, iow Biometal ships have no structural weak spots. Damage is transferred over all the ship until the energy matrix of the bio metal can no longer sustain itself.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Red Devil wrote:i did - when you were in diapers.
What are you, a child?
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

MrTwosheds wrote:Don't know if you read my post on multi-materials-on-one mesh, some time ago, but it is possible for you to define textures per polygon in the xsi, so you could design with nice team color go faster stripes in mind, rather than the all over colour of the originals.
This green colour on my avatar is team colour. It might require a bit of notepad adjustment to the exported xsi and using 2 textures, one without a c0 version.

Make a renamed copy of your original 00 texture and a second material in max, apply to selected areas. Export xsi, Load in game and see that it did not work! team color is all over or not at all...
Open xsi, find the long vertical list of 0000's, it should now have 111,s in it too, defining the material for each polygon, swap all 0,s for 1,s and 1,s for 0,s...might need to swap textures in the 2 materials now defined in the materials section too.
Yes this is all a bit WTF? but I guess its got something to do with the order in which meshbuilder applies team colors to the mesh. Load model again and now hopefully the team color texture will only appear on one of the polygon selections you made in max. :)
That's interesting. The method i've been using to teamcolor the Hadeans has involved making a duplicate of a given texture with a different name and not generating a c0 version of it; then doing a find-replace in the MSH (or XSI) so that parts of the model use the alternate texture. It's slightly more crude than your method (not per-polygon, but per uvmapped surface) but can be done via a text or hex editor and some trial-and-error.
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep
Iron_Maiden
Bull Dog

Post by Iron_Maiden »

I'm just going to say I like the tank, and would like to play using it.

That is all.

P.S Can I get mine in black? :)
Known on FF.net as John Mccallistair, link provided below if you're interested.

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5916137/John-Mccallistair