pres butan 2 go
How is babby formed.
Shadow Knight
Thunderbolt

Re: how you make model

Post by Shadow Knight »

VSMIT wrote:How is babby formed.
Quote pyramid

they need to do way instain mother> who kill thier babbys. becuse these babby cant frigth back? it was on the news th is mroing a mother in ar who had kill her three kids . they are taking the three babby back to new york too lady to rest my pary are with the father who lost his chrilden ; i am truley sorry for your lots

Additionally, this topic seems to have deviated enough that I can probably get away with this sort of thing
Dianoga
Rattler

Post by Dianoga »

Clavin12 wrote:I of course am a big fan of Blender. It is free, powerful, and fairly easy to learn. However you'll have a time exporting models for bz2.
I think I'm going to take another shot at getting the Blender exporter to work after I get my current project of models done. I use Blender to make all my models but was using 3d max to export for the game.
Feenix

Post by Feenix »

Dianoga wrote:
Clavin12 wrote:I of course am a big fan of Blender. It is free, powerful, and fairly easy to learn. However you'll have a time exporting models for bz2.
I think I'm going to take another shot at getting the Blender exporter to work after I get my current project of models done. I use Blender to make all my models but was using 3d max to export for the game.
Cool, I was thinking about retrying with Blender again. I heard about a new version of Blender, but I suspect that because the OM exporter was written for an earlier version of Blender I'll have to reinstall 2.39 or 2.40 not sure though.

BTW, I was asking some questions to a Truespace developer about possibly adapting OM's PY script for use with Truespace. It probably won't work unless it can be modified using element extracted from the TS SDK information. He said It's going to take a lot of effort though. Once I read up some more about how Truespace handles things I'm going to try modifying parts of OM XSI PY script to see what happens. OM has already said in the past that it is okay with him to modify the script. I need to get the Blender SDK to study how Blender interacts with Python. Maybe I'll be able find some useful information on what to try next?
Clavin12
Bull Dog

Post by Clavin12 »

It is almost definitely update-able for Blender 2.5.
Dianoga
Rattler

Post by Dianoga »

So got a bit of time and decided to try some testing last night with the Blender 2.42 exporter. I downloaded Blender 2.42 and installed it so that there wasn't any problems with running a different version of Blender. I tried a few things last night but I'm still at the same spot as when I last tried it a couple or so years ago. I can get the model to show up in game but the texture doesn't uv map properly. Looking back at the old thread where OM last talked about it on his site and he did say that there was a problem with it and something about it only using the center pixel of the texture. I'm guessing that's what it is doing still because I noticed that the texture I am using is mostly yellow and the model in game is all yellow so it is getting a color from the texture some how, just not mapping. It also seems to be that the base color of the material also affects the (I think it's Diffuse) color in game. What I mean is the model is all yellow, I made the base material color Red and in game the model looks yellow but the side that is facing the sun in game turns red.

That's where I'm at so far which is not very far from where I was last time lol. I did send OM a PM asking if he found that newer version of the exporter he mentioned in another thread but I don't know how often he comes on here.
Dianoga
Rattler

Post by Dianoga »

This is one of the two test models I am using. Just a cube UV mapped with a texture. You can see the red on the side where the sun faces it. The yellow comes from the texture I am using. The model itself works, I can get in fly around, it has two plasma cannons on it and shoots and all that, just doesn't look the way it's suppose to.

This is the model in Blender. The two purple cubes are the cannon hard points and the top cube is the eyepoint.

Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

Dianoga wrote:This is one of the two test models I am using. Just a cube UV mapped with a texture. You can see the red on the side where the sun faces it. The yellow comes from the texture I am using. The model itself works, I can get in fly around, it has two plasma cannons on it and shoots and all that, just doesn't look the way it's suppose to.

This is the model in Blender. The two purple cubes are the cannon hard points and the top cube is the eyepoint.

Try taking a look at the MSH in Notepad and see if the texture name has the 3 letter file extension in the texture file name; a 3DEX converted XSI converted to MSH format will have the texture listed complete with the full texture name and file extension.

I see this in my X models that I experimented with in the Map Editor. In my case I to see no texture only the base material color; the MSH file has the texture name but no file extension. I believe it has something to do with how the X model text format is different from the XSI layout. If you don't see the file extension name in the MSH file the problem with your models may be that OM's XSI layout is a non standard XSI format similar to the differences in the X model format; it's not in the right place or written out oddly so the BZII MSH converter can't properly read it. If the texture file name extension in the MSH file is present then there's something else going on with OM's XSI exporter. BTW, I believe that's why no actuall texture appears on the model itself.
Dianoga
Rattler

Post by Dianoga »

I had a look and in the msh file it does show the dxtbz2 file extension for the texture. What I think I'm going to try next is exporting the same cube model with the 3d max exporter that does work and then look at the two mesh files and see if there is any noticeable difference. Not sure if it will help but worth a try. Hopefully I'll have time to try this later tonight after work.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

I think your UV got trashed.

Also, in Hex editing MSH files I have gotten away with texture names like so: "filename.". The engine is smart enough to put "dxtbz2" at the end of that. I have yet to try without the period but I feel like that is needed to show the end of the filename and the start of the extension (the extension that BZ2 ignores, hence why I can do that).
Feenix

Post by Feenix »

Dianoga wrote:I had a look and in the msh file it does show the dxtbz2 file extension for the texture. What I think I'm going to try next is exporting the same cube model with the 3d max exporter that does work and then look at the two mesh files and see if there is any noticeable difference. Not sure if it will help but worth a try. Hopefully I'll have time to try this later tonight after work.
That's a good idea that way you can compare stuff in the XSI's too. You know I was thinking that we might be able to reconvert the OM XSI to the 3DEX XSI version via the save as function. Initially, 3DEX will complain that the OM XSI version is not supported, but go ahead and convert it anyways. I used this feature with some success on an X format that too was an unsupported X version, but 3DEX still happily converted it to XSI anyways, and it loaded into the BZII Map Editor okay. Worth a try anyways. :mrgreen:

BTW, this just gave me another idea. Use the newer XSI exporter that Blender uses; I think it was originally created by a user named Elvira. Anyways, export that XSI model out of Blender and use the save as function to convert that XSI model with the 3DEX exporter/converter. It's a long shot, but sometimes BZII modders have to look for backdoor workarounds to get things done with some of the adequated modeling tools in our meager tool bag. :lol:
Dianoga
Rattler

Post by Dianoga »

Ok well exported the same model in 3D studio max version 3 using the xsi exporter. Tried it in game and model looks good and looks how it's suppose to with the texture showing up and everything. Opened both the mesh file from the Blender exporter and the mesh from the 3dmax exporter in Notepad++ and they definitely look different. One thing I noticed about the 3dmax mesh is that around where it lists the texture name it will also has this....mat08e65470. The Blender exported mesh doesn't have this anywhere in the mesh. I'm guessing whatever that is might have something to do with it? I'm not a coder but after I opened up some other good working meshes in Notepad++ they all had similar entries to mat08e65470 around where the texture was listed. The structure of how the mesh looks in Notepad++ is also different from both. That's about all I got so far.
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

Dianoga wrote:Ok well exported the same model in 3D studio max version 3 using the xsi exporter. Tried it in game and model looks good and looks how it's suppose to with the texture showing up and everything. Opened both the mesh file from the Blender exporter and the mesh from the 3dmax exporter in Notepad++ and they definitely look different. One thing I noticed about the 3dmax mesh is that around where it lists the texture name it will also has this....mat08e65470. The Blender exported mesh doesn't have this anywhere in the mesh. I'm guessing whatever that is might have something to do with it? I'm not a coder but after I opened up some other good working meshes in Notepad++ they all had similar entries to mat08e65470 around where the texture was listed. The structure of how the mesh looks in Notepad++ is also different from both. That's about all I got so far.
If you have the other XSI exporter by Elvira try using that to export your model to 3DEX and convert that again with the 3DEX converter and see if that model will load into BZII; if it works then Blender users can use this to get XSI models into BZII. if it doesn't then you can always use the 3DS exporter out of Blender. I would do it but I don't have Blender installed ATM. I still haven't figured out how to use it yet probably never will unless someone else can making it worth messing with.

FYI: To the original poster asking about how to make a BZII model I would suggest trying Truespace at first and if that don't work try Blender, however, if he can't learn Truespace then Blender won't do either as Blender is 5 times more difficult to learn then Truespace. :D
VSMIT
Sabre

Post by VSMIT »

Or, he could learn Gmax. Or any number of other free modeling platforms available.