how you make model

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Shadow Knight
Thunderbolt

Re: how you make model

Post by Shadow Knight »

I really doubt you can do it. Writing an exporter for any format requires knowing the format you wish to export to upside down and inside out, as well as the format you're exporting from. OM succeeded in writing an exporter for blender because blender's format is open source. There is literally just about zero chance of making an exporter for a format which is closed source, regardless of programming, 3d math and knowledge of one of the formats.
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

Shadow Knight wrote:I really doubt you can do it. Writing an exporter for any format requires knowing the format you wish to export to upside down and inside out, as well as the format you're exporting from. OM succeeded in writing an exporter for blender because blender's format is open source. There is literally just about zero chance of making an exporter for a format which is closed source, regardless of programming, 3d math and knowledge of one of the formats.
Some of the people that wrote plugins for Truespace are not programmers at all. They learned specific parts and overtime gather enough information from the SDK to compile their plugin. FYI, most software companies release the SDK for the purpose of allowing other people to do just that make addons/plugins for even closed source software. They learned just enough about C++, Jscript, and VBscript to get the code formated right and compiled a working utility; which is basically what a plugin/addon is all about.

Are you a programmer? If so then you know it already. If your not then your not really qualified to say that it can't be done either.
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

Shadow Knight wrote:I really doubt you can do it. Writing an exporter for any format requires knowing the format you wish to export to upside down and inside out, as well as the format you're exporting from. OM succeeded in writing an exporter for blender because blender's format is open source. There is literally just about zero chance of making an exporter for a format which is closed source, regardless of programming, 3d math and knowledge of one of the formats.
Though I didn't write the XSI exporter it got made just the same. Ref: Raxx, BZII XSI eporter for Anim8or. The ignorance of some nay sayers always amazes other people.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

The differences between .x and .xsi formats, of that period, are actually quite trivial as far as I can tell. xsi has headers with SI_ tagged on the front and has SI_vertexcolor, which .x did not seem to have as far as I can tell. There are probably other differences too, but they were essentially the same format at that time, which is why bz2 can load .x models.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

Col Klink wrote:
Though I didn't write the XSI exporter it got made just the same. Ref: Raxx, BZII XSI eporter for Anim8or. The ignorance of some nay sayers always amazes other people.

Oh, CMON! You could'a waited at least 24 more days to make it a full YEAR bump.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Col Klink wrote:
I have been telling people for the past 2 years that the XSI format is dead simple. It took long enough for someone to do something, it is just sad it had to be someone who isn't even IN this community. Even with your bitching about wanting one of US to make an exporter instead of making one yourself you still managed to weasel the work out of someone else.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Your next mission Nielk1, should you choose to accept it, is SI_vertexcolors..... ;) This message will self destruct in 20 seconds.
APCs r Evil
Sabre

Post by APCs r Evil »

General BlackDragon wrote:Oh, CMON! You could'a waited at least 24 more days to make it a full YEAR bump.
He would have exploded if he'd tried to wait that long to rub our noses in it. :lol:
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

MrTwosheds wrote:Your next mission Nielk1, should you choose to accept it, is SI_vertexcolors..... ;) This message will self destruct in 20 seconds.
Uh, irony, I had started a program for vert color editing before I made the Max Script.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Cool. I haven't tested the script yet. I am rebuilding scav and extractor models. Scav is done, now I have to figure out how to morph a dalek into an extractor using vertex anim and will test the script in doing that.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

I want to be sure my code is right. I think I accounted for XSI using 0 based vertex counts and Max using 1 based but I would prefer to see it work for someone because I call it done and look at simplifying its application.
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

General BlackDragon wrote:
Col Klink wrote:

What? Your keeping track now...ROFL? I didn't want to disappoint you guys. Afterall, you all seem to expect me to behave badly.

Nielk1, Raxx did this on his own. I really expected what I usually see on this forum...nothing. If you actually expended half the energy on doing something constructive as apposed to always bitching about me; an XSI exporter could've probably already been made. ;)
Shadow Knight
Thunderbolt

Post by Shadow Knight »

Col Klink wrote:
What? Your keeping track now...ROFL?
Oh yeah, that's hard.

I don't see why you're claiming victory about something someone else did entirely on his own.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Because he fails to see that people didnt say it couldnt be done, just that it would be a waste of 'their' time ... Kudos to BNG for finding someone who would lend their time to humor him though :roll:
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

Shadow Knight wrote:
Col Klink wrote:
What? Your keeping track now...ROFL?
Oh yeah, that's hard.

I don't see why you're claiming victory about something someone else did entirely on his own.
I claim no victory except for those who find the endevour of some use for BZII if it weren't for me Raxx would never have thought of doing it in the first place. You don't see the logic Shadow? I thought you didn't normally post on topics like this....hypocracy reveals itself every time. What have you contributed and nothing is not an answer.