Re: The Fae (Warning Many Images)

Post by Clavin12 »

How does one handle hierarchy in max?

EDIT: Nvm, figured it out.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

You don't actually need a terrain plate on a building, and your models look like they're not designed to have any.
Clavin12
Bull Dog

Post by Clavin12 »

When placing them from the constructor menu, will they automatically align themselves?
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Clavin12 wrote:When placing them from the constructor menu, will they automatically align themselves?
Yes, and better then they did in 1.2, though now to get 1.2 style placement involves a fight with micro cubes.

However, I think the extractor needs a plate. Also, plates help level out terrain.
Clavin12
Bull Dog

Post by Clavin12 »

So I got the extractor working properly with a texture, but no plate. What do I name the collision mesh?
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Clavin12 wrote:So I got the extractor working properly with a texture, but no plate. What do I name the collision mesh?
How well does it work without a plate? Does the pool get replaced at the correct height?

collision__hc where h is for hidden and c is for collision. Remember a building must own terrain to have its collision frame work, though you want them to for other reasons as well. Some modders miss this need when they skip the terrain plate since the terrain plate demands terrain ownership where the lack of it allows you the ability to choose.
Clavin12
Bull Dog

Post by Clavin12 »

If h is for hidden, why are my base plates showing up?

EDIT: Ok so both my terrain plate and collision mesh are showing up and are note performing their function.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Note the 2 _s
Clavin12
Bull Dog

Post by Clavin12 »

Ah.

EDIT: I changed the classlabel slot to "unpowered" and the console said that it could not find "unpowered.odf". This indicates that there is a "powered.odf", but I cannot find such a folder. Is there one? If so where? Beside the point, how can I get my tech center to be unpowered?

P.S. My terrain plates cut a hole in the ground.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

There should be a terrain__h that sits ate height 0 in the model perfectly centered. This sets the terrain heights and things under the model, normally this is just kept flat. The terrain is the visible part. Having a terrain__h removes the terrain around the building. This is to prevent z-fighting with the actual building mesh such as its visual elements. Also, the terrain no longer collides as it is the building's collision that is then used.

The class label can work in two ways: it can point to a class from the engine's base code or it can point to another ODF and inherit all its properties. This is called ODF Inheritance and is a 1.3 feature. What you need to do to make a building unpowered it so give it a PowerCost of 0. Power generators are hard coded to a PowerCost of -3 if that helps you any.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

N1, Hard coded is a bit of a wrong word, implying that it cannot be different. Default's to 3, would be more accurate.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

General BlackDragon wrote:N1, Hard coded is a bit of a wrong word, implying that it cannot be different. Default's to 3, would be more accurate.
Whatever...

The point is if you put -2 power cost into a power generator you get 2 power, not 5, thus showing that this is indeed the value set by the engine if unspecified.
Clavin12
Bull Dog

Post by Clavin12 »

Will the base plate work if I remove the h and add a c?
VSMIT
Sabre

Post by VSMIT »

No. The terrain__h is what dictates the number of terrain spots the building will take. A terrain__c object would just mean that that part of the mesh is visible and acts as a collision mesh.
Clavin12
Bull Dog

Post by Clavin12 »

How might I get a visible, collidable base plate, then?