Multi-stage effects?

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Zero Angel
Attila

Multi-stage effects?

Post by Zero Angel »

I'm trying to learn how to create proper multi stage effects. I know it's possible to create multi-stage or delayed payload weapons and environmental effects by using mines (like my tornado mine), however the effects seem trickier as they would likely involve emits and I don't know exactly which role that simulateBase plays in emits (which probably explains why I can never get emitters to work in complex manners)

So let's try a sample multi-stage weapon -- say, an ice crystal that grows in size and then shatters.

Stage one: Formation (time offset: 0 secs -- immediate)
The effect plays a blizzard or ice storm and an ice chunk accumulates at the weapon object's center (it would slowly grow to a set size)

Stage 2: Pre-Shatter (time offset: 4 secs)
The ice crystal changes color while remaining a fixed size, indicating its about to 'pop'

Stage 3: Shatter (time offset: 5 secs)
The weapon releases its payload. The ice crystal geom will shrink or 'pop' with extreme speed and several fragments will bombard the area.

Now the individual animations of the ice crystal for each stage would be simple. However the issue is how can you use an emitter to have those 3 animations play in sequence to each other?

A secondary problem is, how can you reposition the 'origin' of an effect? Like what if we wanted an effect to rise a certain height and then have the next 'stage' of the effect start at the position that it moved to previously? Can it be done, or have I hit a limitation in what the effects engine is capable of?
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep