Weapons

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Clavin12
Bull Dog

Weapons

Post by Clavin12 »

Where does one begin? What kind of files are needed for a complete weapon? How can I find an example for each of these files?
Shadow Knight
Thunderbolt

Re: Weapons

Post by Shadow Knight »

You can find examples in data.pak, under "weapons".

This is the convention most weapon file names follow:

ap*.odf - This is the pickup crate
g*_c.odf - This is the actual gun for the combat version
*_c.odf - This is the ordnance that the gun shoots for the combat version
g*_a.odf - This is the assault mode gun
*_a.odf - This is the assault ordnance

x*car.odf - Explosion used for when the shot hits vehicles
x*bld.odf - Explosion used for when the shot hits buildings
x*gnd.odf - Explosion used for when the shot hits terrain

It's a lot simpler than it looks. The best way to learn is to extract some files, rename them and make sure they refer to each other inside each other (you'll have to change this after renaming the files) then muck around. See what various settings do.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

ap is American Power-Up, or so I beleive. From what I can tell, no other race ever had weapon crates made. This means you could make race specific crates, if only for your personal reference.
Clavin12
Bull Dog

Post by Clavin12 »

I would like to make race specific crates. The same applies for service pods I take it?

EDIT: Also, does the addon folder override the data.pak if there are files of the same name as those in the data.pak file in it?
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

I wonder if there is a good reason for having race specific crates? I have found the ap a useful way of identifying power ups just as the g is used for guns, As far as I can see there is no benefit to race specific powerups, they don't spawn pilots or do anything else requiring a specific identity.
VSMIT
Sabre

Post by VSMIT »

ap==crate ODF. The weapons aren't differentiated between races like the buildings and ships are. To make race-specific crates, continue using the same prefixes, but make sure you make the necessary changes inside the ODFs, and design a folder tree that allows you to keep track of what's what.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

i have the Hadeans use ep* and the Cerberi use cp* in FE. lot easier to keep things separated that way. now i just need an xsi for the crates for the Hadeans, Cerberi, and Scions.

Avatar made a service pod for them which looks cool and i changed the skin on it for the Cerberi.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

It is not required, but it might be useful in a very special case.
SkyNET
Drunken Constructor

Post by SkyNET »

Speaking of which RD, did you do anything with those weapons I sent you?
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

uhhhh.... which ones? did you send them via pm or mail? what was the filename?
Clavin12
Bull Dog

Post by Clavin12 »

I just want the race to be consistent and authentic. Is there a way to make weapons mountable by only one race?
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

Clavin12 wrote:I just want the race to be consistent and authentic. Is there a way to make weapons mountable by only one race?
By carefully measuring out every little bit of a mission. Every ship on the other team would use isAssault = 1 and all your weps would be isAssault = 0, regardless of if they were assault or not, to prevent them from picking it up. Multiplayer? Good luck...
VSMIT
Sabre

Post by VSMIT »

It would be nice if there was a race filter for crates, but as far as I know, there isn't.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Grep the changelog for [GameObjectClass]::AcceptPowerupMask, [GameObjectClass]::DeployedPowerupMask, [GameObjectClass]::PowerupRaceMask, [GameObjectClass]::DeployedPowerupRaceMask. Those have been around for a while.

-- GSH
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

I find the assault mortar hardpoint and weapon crates is useful for a variety of purposes since none of the stock units/races already use it. It's probably not as useful as the masks idea that GSH posted but it's worth knowing about.