Offer to all you modders

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Andykarta
Sober Scav

Offer to all you modders

Post by Andykarta »

I'd love to help with any coding that needs to be done. I'm still learnin'....wait...keep reading...but I know C++. Csharp, Javascript, HTML to the point where I can do some simple code work and some not so simple error checking. Too busy to start my own mod but can spare a few hours a week at least to help someone doing something fantastic to my favorite game.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Re: Offer to all you modders

Post by MrTwosheds »

I've been waiting years for someone to say that! :lol:
However, The Legions Of Skaro has been left collecting dust on the bottom shelf of my things to do stack for a year now...
It would be inconsiderate of me to make requests of you, while my own motivation is so slack. Also I have no idea what I would want you to do at the moment.
I have just re-started work on one of the major "creative block" models the Dalek Recycler vehicle and building... it will take a while to get it to a working state. Looks a bit like a Dalek in a wheelchair at the moment. :? Better than the ugly box it was before though.
I wonder if I can duel purpose it as a drop ship too... Or maybe Daleks don't need drop ships, just shove em straight out of the airlock and let them find their own way down.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

C#?

https://github.com/Nielk1?tab=repositories

Maybe something in there could be useful to you. At they very least, actually understandable to you.
Andykarta
Sober Scav

Post by Andykarta »

It would be inconsiderate of me to make requests of you, while my own motivation is so slack.
Sounds like someone needs a lackey. Keep me in mind when you start something up.
C#?

https://github.com/Nielk1?tab=repositories

Maybe something in there could be useful to you. At they very least, actually understandable to you.

C# = C Sharp.

I didn't see anything I couldn't understand except the note that 'this is uncompilable in a normal complier.' Is that cuz you're doing it in some proprietory bz environment like bzeditor or something. But yeah, I think you're missing some h files but I only took a few minutes to look through it. It was actually my playing around with Unity that made me aquire bz2 in the first place. There's a terrain editor that totally makes things look like bz maps.

But yeah this is exactly what I'm asking for. Just, I'd rather work on something actively being accomplished.

Oh, and I also know MySQL if someone's needing database config work for their mod.
Last edited by Andykarta on Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

I know C# is C Sharp, what I mean was more along the lines of "good god another .net developer? I am not alone?"

What was 'this is uncompilable in a normal complier.' on again?
But yea, there is a lot of C# stuff in my repos.
Some C++ for BZ2 missions.
And a lil' bit of Java that I've had a heck of a time getting to build right in Eclipse with the builder it needs.
Andykarta
Sober Scav

Post by Andykarta »

Not a net dev, except this Windows Eight app I worked on with a buddy. Most of the stuff I've done is in C++. Never had a coding job before, like I said I'm a noob. Tried looking for the file I saw before but I jumped around too much. Sry. Fascinating looking at those files though. Seems like a lot of tedious repetition. People don't know what programmers go through to make a great game.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Those programs aren't the best examples :P
DarkCobra262
Sabre

Post by DarkCobra262 »

Andykarta wrote:Not a net dev, except this Windows Eight app I worked on with a buddy. Most of the stuff I've done is in C++. Never had a coding job before, like I said I'm a noob. Tried looking for the file I saw before but I jumped around too much. Sry. Fascinating looking at those files though. Seems like a lot of tedious repetition. People don't know what programmers go through to make a great game.
If only I knew C++ and other programming languages to help me xD, although I do know there are free resources and tutorials to learn it. Oh and uhm... you should edit your post to remove your comment about torrenting BZ2
Modding/Modelling like a noob...
Andykarta
Sober Scav

Post by Andykarta »

As for editing my post, done. As for the free resources, most are unbelievably bad, especially for C++. However one really awesome book you can actually download on PDF is C++ A beginners Guide. It can do in 40 pages what other books take 200 to teach you. Then just start writing programs and keep on writing. You gotta really want it though cuz its not easy, especially if you also want a life. Unity and other engines let you get around really hard core programming. Just learn Javascript or C sharp to script a little. That takes a lot less time.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Learning to code might not something you can do easily from a book. It's possible and there are thousands of people who have done it, but it varies from person to person. Others learn faster simply by playing with a development environment and seeing what they can do, using online tutorials where they get stuck. Other still prefer to dismantle another programmer's code to see how it works. Depends how you prefer to learn.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Shadow Knight
Thunderbolt

Post by Shadow Knight »

I'm currently learning Python to aid with writing extensions for Poser. A combination of documentation and looking at other people's code is very effective, especially if you're already familiar with programming logic.

I know, I know, it's only a scripting language but the principle's the same.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

And the beauty of learning to program is that you only really need to learn the logic, which stays mostly the same; the syntax of each language can be looked up as and when.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

The BZ2 DLL source links to Bruce Eckel's Thinking in C++ as a free resource for those who'd like to learn C++. All of the stock BZ2 DLLs are C++; the DLL source also links to a free compiler from Microsoft that is suitable and tested for use.

-- GSH
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

AHadley wrote:And the beauty of learning to program is that you only really need to learn the logic, which stays mostly the same; the syntax of each language can be looked up as and when.
There are limits.
But yea, my course work for my Bachelor of Science in Computer Science involved stuff like "Data-structures and Algorithms", "Concurrent Programming", "Operating Systems", "Graphics". Aside from OS everything was language agnostic, you just had to be able to compile whatever you chose on the school's linux server. Most of us used Java for ease, but for OS we had to use C as we were editing the linux kernel.
Andykarta
Sober Scav

Post by Andykarta »

One of the trends nowadays is toward less programming and smaller apps. I was a windows 8 evangelist (lol) and the whole thing there was to dramatically expand the number of programmers by simplifying everything and using more tools (like Unity or Expressions Blend) with an emphasis on using API (interfaces) to other already written code like Google Maps rather than writing something yourself. They had a 30 days to your first app program which you have to admit is a lot less time than four years programming in college. It won't help you with battlezone dlls though. That's why I think you should just jump in and learn the hard stuff like C++ first and write code every day.