BZ2-HD Power Plant

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

jaydenbz2
Thunderbolt

Re: BZ2-HD Power Plant

Post by jaydenbz2 »

BBB, Your modelling skills are fairly good I'd Say, for the Texture my advice is taking the gamma and/or brightness down so It's not so blown out, also looks way to clean, perhaps a little grunge would make it nice.

The overall metal colour is a little too monotone, try overlaying a few photoshourced metals over it and place some edge wear on the panelling edges, will add much more realitic look, if you going to use so many draw calls and fill up GPU memory with large textures..may as well make the most of it :)

That said, I liked your QF2 units, it seems they were nice and dark, which was easier on the eyes.

So yes, that is my critque, and purely that.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

having that said, which i agree with, i do appreciate games with splashes of bright color in them, like borderlands 2 and crysis 2 and hard reset. it's good to have things somewhat bland to respect the warring aspect of the setting, but it's good to have some color accents along the way to give some relief to the eyes.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

BZ2 originally was intended to have 3 races, the ISDF, the Furies, and the Aliens. The ISDF were white with a splash of UN blue, the Furies were flesh and bone, and the aliens were never shown in textured or model form though it is likely that they resembled the Mire system ruins as that was their native world. The Furies and Aliens got rolled into one race, the Scions, during a very early period. This was also when the ISDF went from a very boring white with blue to orange with grey.

I would also argue that given that camo in the form of color and patters becomes less useful when you get into advanced technology. Something as simple as a computer that automatically draws outlines around objects would defeat any such camo immediately. Colors like Orange simply lend to faster human identification.
bigbadbogie
Bull Dog

Post by bigbadbogie »

Here it is with a bit of orange on top:

"You think that you can wipe out an entire civilisation without consequences?" - Rachel

http://www.moddb.com/mods/qf2-essence-to-a-thief
https://www.indiedb.com/games/husky-ashcon-i/
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

Now u just gotta add color to the rest of it :D
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

I hate it less.
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

Meh, it's not to my taste. There's a few things I like about it, but most of it looks ugly to me.
AHadley wrote:and they felt it gave the ISDF a regal feel.
And it does. I love how the ISDF uses their color pallete, it does indeed give them a more 'regal' feel as you say.

I remember n1 and I arguing about orange tanks some time back, one of us said the color orange was ridiculous because it's high visibility and another one was arguing that because of technology advances, visual camo isnt as effective as other forms of masking (radar, heat, etc).
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

maybe a feeling of royalty if you are the house of orange in the netherlands, but purple has always been the color of royalty in western civilization; well, for the past millennia at least.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Red Devil wrote:maybe a feeling of royalty if you are the house of orange in the netherlands
I was sort of waiting for someone to bring that up :D
I for one love my orange tank :mrgreen:
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

epiphany time... bz2...it's a second dutch age of exploration :shock:
Abraham Lincoln

Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Red is the "royal colour" in Britain, and it's either that or blue in a good swath of Europe.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Over here it is also red, it is just that the familyname of the royals is in part 'van Oranje' (from/of orange) and so it tends to overshadow the red.
Red Devil wrote:it's a second dutch age of exploration :shock:
Exploration is probably not the correct word, but look at where the Dutch go and for what they are asked. For a small country we have a lot going for ourselves, imo.
jaydenbz2
Thunderbolt

Post by jaydenbz2 »

I'm all about colour...if anything the texture is far too shiny...you need to pull those whites down to subtlety , add more noisy variation of both value and hue..add slight wear and tear which will sell the texture far better. :)
bigbadbogie
Bull Dog

Post by bigbadbogie »

It's less shiny when not rendered - such as actually in BZ2.

The issue I have with wear and tear is that these are supposed to be units and buildings which have just been created - and created out of a type of material which experiences equal damage distribution. Logically, there should be no visible wear and tear. It's like buying a new car with scratches all over it. It just seems wrong...
"You think that you can wipe out an entire civilisation without consequences?" - Rachel

http://www.moddb.com/mods/qf2-essence-to-a-thief
https://www.indiedb.com/games/husky-ashcon-i/
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Max shine won't make it to xsi. :( No point in wasting too much time on materials in max for bz2 models,its abilities exceed bz2's, better to work on the materials in the xsi & bz2
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.