Would this work?

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

AI_Unit
Thunderbolt

Re: Would this work?

Post by AI_Unit »

GSH wrote:BZ2 is best modded to be like BZ2, or an existing mod. If you are trying to go crazy, you're probably in for a world of hurt.

Your first mod(s) should be maps and tweaked units. Learn the rules before you try and break them.

-- GSH
I usually focus on minor AIP modifications. But you're right..

If you're going to try making a mod, the best place to start is by looking into ODF's and/or editing maps. If you want some utilities to get started with, go to bzscrap.org and download some small editing tools or the PAK explorer. It usually helps looking at different ODF's for the same units. For example, the GH version of a Sabre Tank or the Recycler. If you're going to edit AIP's. Download Notepad ++ and open up the AIP in that program to look at the layout of how it works. Good luck, GSH is right...Try to learn the rules before you break them. Good luck and happy hunting.
Current Mod: AI's Expansion Pack

AI_Unit was here.
AI_Unit
Thunderbolt

Post by AI_Unit »

I can give you multiple reasons on why this wouldn't work;

1) You cannot make ODFs to modify terrain height.
2) Have fun coding a DLL function to modify the random resources, I'm assuming you don't know C++.
3) Battlezone's AI isn't the best, and you cannot modify it to work to these conditions
4) AIP's wouldn't support the "Mining" feature

Only thing in this mod that would work, would be the badger. You must learn the limits before making a mod. Study the files, the game and the AI. Consider making your own maps, AI Plans and ODF's. Learn C++ for the ability to implement your own conditions into game modes like MPI.
Current Mod: AI's Expansion Pack

AI_Unit was here.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

To hell with the "limits"! :D

I've made several things that were thought to be impossible. :)

Yes, the game's limitations do exist, but there are compromises and workarounds you can use to get desirable results.
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

AI_Unit wrote: 3) Battlezone's AI isn't the best, and you cannot modify it to work to these conditions
The AI is not very capable, but that part is very moddable. Compared to a lot of other games the actaul AI processes, that you can not mod, are pretty darn good in general. Specially so from a FPS perspective (setting AI aim to a ridiculous level does not make a good AI, imo).