Error building Release dll in VS express 2015 - need help

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

coxxon
Sabre

Re: Error building Release dll in VS express 2015 - need help

Post by coxxon »

edit: It seems VS2015 will still work for mission scripts, BUT since I would have the problem Black Dragon mentions below, I'll have to go back to VS08
Last edited by coxxon on Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

The issue with using 2015, is that anyone that does NOT have the VC2015 Redistributable from Microsoft installed will crash.

You would have to force people that download your DLL to install it, just like the 1.3 installer forces you to install the 2008 redistributable.

Use 2008 until 1.3 installer updates it's redist version.

Also you should still use mode "Release" (And "ReleaseEditor" if you want your missions to work in bz2edit.exe) not "Debug", as some code in the missions have special compiler flags for Debug only, or Release only, (#ifdef / #ifndef DEBUG / RELEASE / EDITOR)

When Upgrading to VS 2010+, as for the pdbpath:none error, a quick google search reveals this:

https://codereview.chromium.org/6031015/

so, right click on your project, properties. Go to Configuration Properties > Linker > Command Line. Replace (or remove?) /pdbpath:none with: /PDBALTPATH:%_PDB%
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
coxxon
Sabre

Post by coxxon »

General BlackDragon wrote:The issue with using 2015, is that anyone that does NOT have the VC2015 Redistributable from Microsoft installed will crash.
ooooohhhh ... well okay then. Back to the VS08 version.
The issue I was having with that is that it was giving me a registration count down, and when I would go to register it would take me to MSDN, but I couldn't find a place to actually register it.

- also I tried the 2010 release issue fix you gave. It did allow VS2015 to make a working Release dll (w/ scion07). - but I can't use it ... waahhhhh
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Microsoft discontinued support for VS 2008 registration. Use the link I posted to install it, it's the whole thing already registered.
General BlackDragon wrote:VS 2008 here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2355&p=40617&hilit= ... dio#p40737
Do YOU have the MS VS 20105 Redist installed?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=48145
coxxon
Sabre

Post by coxxon »

General BlackDragon wrote:Do YOU have the MS VS 20105 Redist installed?
I went and downloaded it. When I tried to install (x86), it asked me if wanted to repair or uninstall it - which I took to mean that it was already installed as a part of VS2015express. Though I assume I could include it with the mod if I really needed to - which I don't really plan on doing.
For now I was planning on only using VS2008 built dlls anyway, or at least for my upcoming mod.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Okay, that's probably best. :)

Could still even use VS 2005, BZ2's DLLs don't make use of any of the fancy new features in 2008-2015 anyway. They're simple things. :)