Grizzly/Sabre fusion

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

DeusExCeteri
Rattler

Grizzly/Sabre fusion

Post by DeusExCeteri »

Dunno if this falls specifically under the banner of BZ2 mod making but I figured I'd share it with you nerds. I'm designing a fusion between the Grizzly and Sabre, intended to be a sort of "missing link" between the two vehicles, a step in their evolution. The current name I'm rolling with is the Ursa and I'm hoping to see it ported into both games once it's done.

The current model:
Comparison with the Czar, Grizzly, and Sabre:
Rough blueprint layout:

Still finishing up the modelling stage, not yet ready to texture, but I'm curious if anyone here might have ideas or suggestions. Keep in mind, this isn't supposed to be the lovechild of the Grizzly and the Sabre, but more like what might have been designed by the newly formed ISDF, before the design was further refined into the Sabre of BZ2, so lemme know if you think it was a hit or a miss. :P

Hopefully much more to come, so stay tuned.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Re: Grizzly/Sabre fusion

Post by General BlackDragon »

You see that circular bit in the back of the turret?

Also, I think the wings stick out a bit too far.

Also if that end cannon segment is a separate piece, you can use that for recoil :D

Edit: Also, :D To counter the weight of a huge barrel on one side, on the other side of the turret you could put some mortar launcher assembly. Perhaps with headlight too.
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
DeusExCeteri
Rattler

Post by DeusExCeteri »

Shortened the nacelles slightly, did some work on detailing, made the cannon two parts, and made a more soviet-styled mortar launcher. Not sure about a physical headlight, still thinking about it.

I'd like to get on the texturing soon, so hopefully I'll see more suggestions over the coming week.

Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

looks great, d-e-c; really nice work.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
coxxon
Sabre

Post by coxxon »

I like it. Definitely a good cross between the two. I like the Czar style mortar and the beefed up wings.
My nitpicks would be to consider shortening the turret barrel mount so that it stops before the back of the turret, that ways the side view of the top of the turret wouldn't look so straight/flat. I also wonder if it would look better if the engine/exhaust bloc were a little wider (less tapered) when viewed from the top and back. And finally, this is a me thing, consider curving the nose down more so that the front hull is less boatlike in profile (Granted the original Sabre is more like a pontoon boat, but I like it lower).
And slap a texture on that thang! :D
ps - How many triangles?
pps - what software are you using?
DeusExCeteri
Rattler

Post by DeusExCeteri »

Hah, it's a good thing I haven't spent too much time getting this finished yet.

On the note of the barrel mount, it currently extends almost to the very back, just like the Grizzly's and if I were to shorten it, it'd require I move the rotating ammo drum at the back, which I'm hesitant to do. I certainly see your point about the top being very flat in profile, I wonder if there might not be another way to improve the shape.

The engine block definitely has room to be widened, are you suggesting I just make the existing component wider or add secondary engines onto it? I could probably get away with either.

As for the nose, I'll consider moving it down so that there's a straight edge from the front to the nacelles along the body, as it does currently feel a bit boat-like ingame.

^ Ported into BZ1 in all the poorly-shaded glory

Sorry, don't have a picture of it ported into BZ2 yet, still have yet to learn how (hopefully will soon?). Proper texture is comin' hold yer dang horses. I'm not about to texture an unfinished model. :P

Currently 3200 polys, created using 3Ds Max 2010. I know, I'm overdue for an upgrade, but it's the latest version I'm actually able to make BZ1 models in, which has been my primary modelling playground for the last few years now. hopefully the coming remaster will let me use some nicer tools. :D
coxxon
Sabre

Post by coxxon »

DeusExCeteri wrote:Hah, it's a good thing I haven't spent too much time getting this finished yet.
I've found one never really finishes, ya just get tired of messing with it, and make yourself move on.:)
From the newest pics, on the gun, try raising the rear beveled section and the forward narrow beveled section since the already stick up a bit, that might be an easy, but not too intrusive fix for the flat top.
Engine block - well now that you mention it, I'd try a couple of extra side thrusters, and see how ya feel about it.
Boatiness - looking back on you pictures, you model isn't as boaty as the sabre, which is good (IMO), but a little shift down might still be an improvement
"I'm not about to texture an unfinished model. :P " - models (and textures) are never finished, ya just get sick of working on'em. :D
Triangles - You could probably cut the polys down to less than 2000 without major loss of detail, but only when you're finished with it (see above comments. :)
Software - Don't feel out of date for an upgrade, I export to BZII from a version far older. I'd just about commit a major crime to get a hold of good 2010 32bit copy that would run the xsi exporter. That said, I do my initial modeling in Max2016.
DeusExCeteri
Rattler

Post by DeusExCeteri »

What's probably got the polycount bumped up so high is the smooth circles on the top hatch and nacelle connections. I've got no interest in lowering the quality of those, haha, though they could probably get by without the indenting, it looks nice but it could probably be done with texturing.

I'll see what I can cook up.