GMAX BZII Modeling Tutorials needed on BZII modeling forum.

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Col Klink
Sabre

GMAX BZII Modeling Tutorials needed on BZII modeling forum.

Post by Col Klink »

Thought I'd ask if any GMAX users want to post some BZII modeling tutorials on my modeling forum for other model makers to use. Don't really use GMAX, but I know it's still recommended by some folks. The web-link is BZII GMAX Tutorials.

Could also use some Blender based BZII modeling tutorials as well. The web link is BZII Blender Tutorials.
VSMIT
Sabre

Re: GMAX BZII Modeling Tutorials needed on BZII modeling for

Post by VSMIT »

http://www.bz2md.com/fishdotxsi/model.htm

This method works for GMAX, as well.

For the way to get GMAX models into BZ2: http://bzuniverse.bzscrap.org/index.php ... 609.0.html
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

Thanks, I'll post the links on my modeling forum. I've found very few remaining GMAX modeling tutorials on the web. My guess is that GMAX isn't all that popular these days. Is it still available on Turbo Squids site? If anyone finds some more links then post them here and I'll put a link on my forum. Thanks, Klink.
NFuser
Sober Scav

Post by NFuser »

just visit fishbone's website, everything you need is there.
VSMIT
Sabre

Post by VSMIT »

Pretty much any tutorial for 3DS Max will also work for GMAX.

I believe it is still available on TurboSquid, but you'd have to look.
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

Sadly, there really aren't many BZII specific model making tutorials. Fishbones, are a good starting point still wish some MAX users would post a newer version as quite a few things have changed with PB 1.3.6.2. As I recall some issue with how part names have changed, and the BZ2DXT conversion required now. I noticed that while quite a few people use MAX most don't really post much in terms of how they make models for BZII. One on doing basic animations for Walkers and pilot figures would be most excellent.
Last edited by Col Klink on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Well, frankly A max tutorial would make little sense to anyone who did not have it in front of them, I've been using 7 for a while
and must say that it is a very unhelpful piece of software.
Bz'2 basics have not changed much at all and even max cannot do all the things you really need it for, like vertex animation for xsi.
I would still value some coherent advice on how to set up max so it can actually export usable animations to xsi at all.
People have said oh you do "blah blah" but when you try to apply that to Max's Opaque animation set up controls it never seems to work. Frankly doing simple animations with notepad is still the quick and easy way for me and as It cannot do the complex xsi animations either, I found spending any effort on it to be a waste of time.
Where there lots of working examples of excellent animations to be found in published mods then I may accept that I am wrong, but the only item I can think of that made actually me think "nice" was the walker from fleshstorm.
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

Precisely my point. My little experience with G/MAX is minimal, but I did more reading then actual model making; after a while I just lost interest in using it.

I know one modder that actually started using Truespace even though he actually has MAX 9 which he mostly uses to add the HP's to his models. Why? I guess you'll have to ask him? I do understand why he uses TS it's probably because MAX is quite a challenge to actually use for some people when compared to more simpler modeling software, and no Blender isn't one of them.

As I see it most MAX users only answer questions when they are posted by other users, but it would be most excellent if a few tutorials were posted somewhere that are specific to common BZII related models, buildings and prop issues. Some UV mapping tips would also be of some use as well although I've not heard of many people that actually use the builtin MAX UV utility. I understand there are easier to use 3rd party UV utilities that are prefered by some. Perhaps that's the main reason that I never spent much time trying to use GMAX. It really is a very cool modeling software by any standard. It's not that I hate it as I still have the installer on my system and plan to keep it just in case.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

I know one modder that actually started using Truespace even though he actually has MAX 9 which he mostly uses to add the HP's to his models.
Lol that's the hard way to do it, notepad2/threed (viewer only!) and BZ2 is the way to set up hp's, other wise your going to have to re-export and set up everything else every time you want to tweak something a bit.

I think the point is that max is not actually good at dealing with allot of those issues. Most model construction Issues only become relevant once you are at the XSI in BZ2 stage, Max cannot do anything to an XSI, it just exports them. Its completely useless at making objects accurate to 6 decimal places, as required by things like buildings.
I have also found it very difficult to UV map 2 objects the same in max, *vrecy and *brecy I want them to match so the transition is smooth, it was simple to do In lithunwrap, it seems to be impossible in max as you cannot UV 2 objects in one UV screen or get 2 screens open together.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

I don't get everyone's issues with MAX. I export from max and boom, it works in game. GMAX would be a few more hoops granted, like messing with axises, possibly loosing animations, but if you somehow get full MAX and go from that to XSI you don't have to tweak a single angle.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

The max exporter is excellent, its max (7) itself I have issues with, Complete user knowledge of the program is assumed at every level, It has functions who's buttons only appear once you have done exactly the right sequence of things to be able to use them, you could use it for years and be completely unaware that they even existed. and yet simple things, like trying to make a base plate of exactly 32.000000 x 32.000000 and have it stay that way, seem to be almost impossible.
Its one of those programs that's designed to support a qualification in using it rather than support its users.
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

Nielk1 wrote:I don't get everyone's issues with MAX. I export from max and boom, it works in game. GMAX would be a few more hoops granted, like messing with axises, possibly loosing animations, but if you somehow get full MAX and go from that to XSI you don't have to tweak a single angle.
If your willing please post a MAX tutorial on how you do for others to use as an example. You know a sort of step by step method that others can replicate doing it themselves in MAX and possibly GMAX.

I can do almost everything in Truespace prior to exporting to 3DEX and converting to XSI.
I can build, texture, add HP's, and animate the model in TS. The only aspect I can't really do in TS are the SI_envelope type animations as I understand it the X format lacks this support. Haven't really tried it with the TS native COB and SCN formats. Truespace admittedly is a strange beast, but I have pretty much grasp the modeling concepts relative to making BZII models.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

The only aspect I can't really do in TS are the SI_envelope type animations
Max cannot do these either. All you need is way to identify the vertex number's (max numbers them +1 and you have to select them one at a time to find out) then make the envelopes in notepad2, its not a quick procedure but like the model data only the envelopes in the main Skel model are used, so at least you only have to get it right once.
Get the main model/skeleton finalised before you attempt to make the envelopes, altering it will probably change the vertex numbers, and then you will have to do them all over again.
The weighting values in the envelope are not that important for the sort of basic model anyone is going to animate using this method, just set to 100 and fine tune after you got all the basic animations working.
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

MrTwosheds wrote:
The only aspect I can't really do in TS are the SI_envelope type animations
Max cannot do these either. All you need is way to identify the vertex number's (max numbers them +1 and you have to select them one at a time to find out) then make the envelopes in notepad2, its not a quick procedure but like the model data only the envelopes in the main Skel model are used, so at least you only have to get it right once.
Get the main model/skeleton finalised before you attempt to make the envelopes, altering it will probably change the vertex numbers, and then you will have to do them all over again.
The weighting values in the envelope are not that important for the sort of basic model anyone is going to animate using this method, just set to 100 and fine tune after you got all the basic animations working.
I may ask Raxx to look into this for the Anim8or XSI exporter script. Anim8or, refers to a vertex as a point. These can be referenced in the export script itself and used in the file output to SI XSI ASCII text format. I don't know how it all works, but Raxx's seems to have a good working knowledge of how Anim8or does things with model data used by the software. However, I would imagine that Anim8or can do vertex animations via the key frame recorder that it supports. I'll have to search the Anim8or forum posts to see if anyone has ask a similar question on the issue.