Voice Overs

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

redmenace
Scrap

Voice Overs

Post by redmenace »

Battlezone 2 never gets old, however, hearing those units voices over and over gets stale at times. also, the fact that the scions have russian units bothers me as well, as it does not bode well with story continuity (unless I'm crazy and the scions are NOT the former black dog squadron)

So heres what I want to do: record my voice to give all the units some new personality, then upload it so anyone may enjoy it. also, once set up I can do voice overs for your mod

Here's what I got: I use audacity to record audio tracks, and I own a vocal processor for adding cool effects. I'm also pretty talented at doing impersonations, accents ect.

Here's what I NEED: I need to know if there is any additional software to be downloaded. I need to know what files do what and how to change them. I am completely new to modding and have very little expierience so explaining in lamens terms would be preferable.

thanks guys!

=Red=
S.cavA.rmyG.en
Sabre

Re: Voice Overs

Post by S.cavA.rmyG.en »

save them as .wav files but with mono sound BZ2 will not play it other wize.

I think audacity can do that but I am not sure becouse I havent used it in a wile.
to have bz use the sounds you need to name them the same as the stock sounds and over right them.
that will not couse BA but will take some work to do.

.pak explorer if you dont have it get it form http://www.bzscrap.org
you will need it to open your dada.pak and find the names of the stock sounds you want to change.

do not change any thing in the dada.pak save you sounds in a new folder inside the addion folder.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

S.cavA.rmyG.en wrote:BZ2 will not play it other wize.
lies.

But yes, you should use mono for everything except shell music.
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

It better not to touch (rename) the stock assets as you may inadvertenly screw up your BZII installation. Perhaps a recyler variant would be one way to accomplish what you want to change. I think other audio formats are supported now like OGG, but I'm not sure though.

Perhaps some other modders can help you on the information aspect. I've done a few voice overs and modified the original ODF audio entries. It's not hard at all. Just remember to leave the stock assets alone to avoid headaches later on.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

.wav and .ogg files do not count to the asset checker. Why? Because at launch, BZ2 was sold in English, French and German versions. And they have 3 sets of voiceovers.

In short, this should not cause bad assets. But, clearly separating your addon files to a new folder is best for easy install/uninstall.

-- GSH
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

The Scions are not *just* the Black Dogs. There must have been (and were) other humans who became Scion, else how would there be so many?

I use GoldWave and Cubase for editing audio, and I'd recommend GoldWave; it costs money, unlike Audacity, but as far as I'm concerned it's far, far better.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

I think stereo for shell level sounds is fine, it is sounds in 3D space that must be mono.
Axeminister
Sabre

Post by Axeminister »

Battlezone II can recycle pilots, so it goes to reason you can make as many copies as you want. It's just not in the story.
redmenace
Scrap

Post by redmenace »

Where can I find the Voice over files?
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

redmenace wrote:Where can I find the Voice over files?
All game files are either in data.pak, patch13.pak, or the addon folder. The first listed is overridden by those listed after. In this case, the sound files have probably not been changed in 1.3 nor should there be new ones in addon, so it is safe to go to the data.pak file to get at them.
drbubblegum
Scrap

Post by drbubblegum »

Sorry to bump such an old thread but I was brought here in search of the voice files for BZ2. I've read through all the files listed on BZScrap but can't find anything listed data.pak. If someone could tell me which order to click to find them I'd be very happy.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

data.pak is in the root directory of your bz2 install.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA