Re: @Nielk1

Post by General BlackDragon »

shhhh, don't tell anyoneblame portals
DutchBoy
Sober Scav

Post by DutchBoy »

GreenHeart wrote:
Actually, your wrong about that, i should still have a copy with stairs. i think even the sat dish on top that was setup as a tap to rotate which now actually can be merged due to a new feature in the 1.3 patch code.
ahh cool, i knew that 1.3 was being updated with modders in mind nice to see you guys get to play around more to get things how they were envisioned.
SUB-0
Thunderbolt

Post by SUB-0 »

Welcome back DutchBoy
nice to see players coming back.... i posted your icon tutorial on my videos page hope you dont mind http://www.sub-00.com/apps/videos/video ... l-dutchboy
nice to see the comunity is still alive
DutchBoy
Sober Scav

Post by DutchBoy »

nope don't mind, i had to do that lol at the time people were just starting to mod units and no one made icons or wireframes for their work. And it always just seemed unfinished without those, so figured I'd help out even though i was on dial-up at the time, they took forever to upload!
Clavin12
Bull Dog

Post by Clavin12 »

Watched your tutorial and tried it. I'd just like to remind people that if you want the game to see it the image has to match the units baseName, and be a .dxtbz2 file.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

That video is for wire frames.

I looked, was unable to find the one for icons. ??

*Still doesn't know how to make blue icons*
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

I prefer to do a clay render from max at tiny size and color it in Photoshop. The old video tutorial had you use 3DExploration and remove the textures and turn on the blue lights, shrink it way down and take a screen shot, magic wand out the background.
DutchBoy
Sober Scav

Post by DutchBoy »

was a lot of steps but that's how i did them then, i don't remember why i didn't just do a render in max for it. that was a long time ago. Same thing with the wireframe one i think how I did those changed quite a bit after making that tutorial vid but it was a start.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

An issue with the method in the wireframe tutorial is that it does not cull backward facing normals. That said, I have not yet tried to do the same in MAX to see if it does. If it doesn't, I know there is a setting for it, because... it's MAX, it has a setting for everything.

Also, most people forget to hide their HPs.
DutchBoy
Sober Scav

Post by DutchBoy »

Nielk1 wrote:An issue with the method in the wireframe tutorial is that it does not cull backward facing normals. That said, I have not yet tried to do the same in MAX to see if it does. If it doesn't, I know there is a setting for it, because... it's MAX, it has a setting for everything.

Also, most people forget to hide their HPs.

True, and also why i changed my method for making the wireframes after that vid was made, I actually think 3de had an option to hide hidden wires, but i still always ended up going into photoshop to clean up lines, since models were always more complex then how i wanted the wireframe to look.

max prolly has like 10 settings and a few sliders for it haha, prob one to set so only hard lines are shown, not just minor tweaks in the model. If not it should!
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

AHadley wrote:GreenHeart back as well?
Just goes to show you that Battlezone itself has magical mythical powers of it's own. Try to get away from it for very long and you'll soon find yourself drawn back to it like a moth is to a flame. Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! ;)
scout
Scrap

Post by scout »

GreenHeart wrote:
General BlackDragon wrote:
Zax wrote:Comm tower dude!
*dies laughing*

That reminds me, hey Dutch, you still got the .xsi for that thing? (You're the only one that has a comm Tower with STAIRS)
Actually, your wrong about that, i should still have a copy with stairs. i think even the sat dish on top that was setup as a tap to rotate which now actually can be merged due to a new feature in the 1.3 patch code.
+1

Nice to have you back Dutch, long time no see :)

I've got all your *.max files, everything you gave me, which AFAIK was everything?. Is still on one of my drives in a pile of hot-swap cartridges I'll take a look when I have time.

plus I have the installers for your...
triple upgrade guntower addon
triple upgrade recycler sentries with the air to air missiles addon
the shell gun stuff
that animated triple ring power generator you made for me :P (addon)
the comm tower addon..
the comm HQ (massive comm bunker)

I remember someone scorning me for saying they shouldn't have used the tower without permissions and also didn't believe I had a hand in its inception..
which was why I probably didn't bother offering up the installer which has the credits...
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

triple recy what? :D
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Any of that stuff going to see release? :P