Please Read: A Personal Appeal from all BZ fans

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Re: Please Read: A Personal Appeal from all BZ fans

Post by Nielk1 »

GSH wrote:On Gog.com's voting page, Battlezone 1 has 582 votes, and BZ2 has 502 votes. The top 10 vote-getters are shown permanently, Battlezone has to be searched for.
Far better idea than a petition. I just clicked the vote option on it as I didn't know about that page on GOG.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

I think the only conclusion we can draw is that company's don't care about people pirating their old software, as all you have to do to stop it is have a web page and a little bit of server space, then people won't need to pirate and they will have a comprehensive historic archive of their products. A failure to realise that one day some of these products may once again become valuable as historic items is very short sighted.
It took the BBC about 40 years to realise that just about everything they had ever made later on became valuable items of historical interest, by which time much of it had decayed beyond recovery. People love to revisit the past in any form.
You could even monitor the downloads and if something appeared to be popular, you could start charging again, it might even pay for itself.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

Unknown error occurred :(

That's what it sends me when I try to vote, including smiley face.

Anyhow, yes it is a pointless endeavor. The petition if it were in paper form would be as good as TP to them. You care but they don't is the problem.

Just be glad a programmer stuck around and made a dingy old game work on modern PCs at all. I am wrestling with one of my favorite older games that doesn't have that luxury.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Gog.com and other sites are working in the publisher's interest overall. Publishers would rather get a small cut of sales on gog.com than zero cut of piracy. Assuming the publisher's lawyers cost less than that small cut -- and as I've said before, because there's 2 companies' lawyers involved (Activision, Atari), the problem is harder for the Battlezones. Two sets of lawyers could be 4x the "fun." Once again, more votes on sites like gog mean more inclination to try and acquire those rights.

Seriously, don't get emotional and give up when things don't happen this weekend. But, stay focused on the goal: cheap, legal copies of BZ1/2 on a site like gog.com.

-- GSH
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Zax wrote:Unknown error occurred :(

That's what it sends me when I try to vote, including smiley face.
Log in. I got the same error before I logged in. They need to add a check for log in on that error screen.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

On gog.com's voting page, BZ1 is up to 588 votes, BZ2 509 votes. That's 6-7 votes in two weeks, even after news here.

-- GSH
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Great job, guys(!)
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

I assumed I only get 1 vote?
DuoRanger
Thunderbolt

Post by DuoRanger »

if we reunite the whole community(which is is impossible thx to Spock and Sporck Douchebagery) is possible to put bz on the top of GoG website, heck even Wing Commander and Apache vs Havok is there too, when i've made the thread about bz on Mechwarrior oNline forums i've saw that a good part of mech players loves bz too

if we reunite this people we can do this
forgottengames
Sabre

Post by forgottengames »

Well, it's been a while since anybody's been on this hopeless post, but I have to admit: The title for this thread is AWESOME, and it's perfectly fitting. Who agrees with me?

P.S. (Yes, I know I scavenged it from a Wikipedia banner. Don't bug me with that.)
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

Bz has 856 votes now but what is this for... What will this voting gain for Bz?

Activision gave unofficial permission with NO restrictions so long as money isn't involved.
Activision's contract was up in 2006 with Atari, they will not make any more money from it.

Anyone currently selling the games would have no distribution rights unless Atari is selling Activision games now, which i doubt.
Activision anet servers for all legacy anet games: Anet Servers
BattleZone Club (Supporting BattleZone 1.4, The Red Odyssey, BattleZone Enhanced, BattleZone 1.5 and Bionite)
BattleZone 1 Community Since 2002
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Allows BZ to be sold without being packaged with anybody's changes.

Put it this way; what's to lose?
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

Only Atari can do that, if people want to really see that happen, get some money together and hire an Attorney to contact Atari legal, they will want 20% of the gross if they allow distribution at all. They may not be able to make that license because Activision owns the engine.

It can't hurt to have an Attorney send a cert. letter, should cost about $150.
Activision anet servers for all legacy anet games: Anet Servers
BattleZone Club (Supporting BattleZone 1.4, The Red Odyssey, BattleZone Enhanced, BattleZone 1.5 and Bionite)
BattleZone 1 Community Since 2002
forgottengames
Sabre

Post by forgottengames »

Maybe I should set something up on Kickstarter or PayPal so we can hitch this wagon to a star.
It's a cold world and THIS IS ICE
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

forgottengames wrote:Maybe I should set something up on Kickstarter or PayPal so we can hitch this wagon to a star.
That made me giggle. I'd sooner be willing to pay for it myself than you would get the funds by setting up a PayPall account :D
How much do you think you get from that, 100x €10,-? That will still be mildly too little for what you'd like to achieve ;)