Post by General BlackDragon »

Won't help when the people that don't use it, don't come to forum
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
jack775544
Thunderbolt

Re: server down

Post by jack775544 »

MrTwosheds wrote:There are a number of solutions available. The problem is getting everyone to use the same one.
I had hoped the community would take up using the b91s openspy patch, but they don't seem to be doing that.
So does that patch actually work. Last I heard was that it was still a bit dodgy. And since I only usually play with friends, there has been no real need to upgrade as it is easy to set up a VPN. If it works then i will certainly upgrade to that patch.
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist" - Charles Baudelaire
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

It works if bz2 is set up right and you don't press the wrong button... :)
But as far as I am aware very few other players have bothered to use it and it is incompatible with other bz2 versions, so it will only work with others patched to b91s. It was only released in order to assist with open spy testing and development, which does not seem to be happening any more. It is buggy. If you are only playing with friends you might as well stick with whatever works for you for now.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
DarkCobra262
Sabre

Post by DarkCobra262 »

MrTwosheds wrote:It works if bz2 is set up right and you don't press the wrong button... :)
But as far as I am aware very few other players have bothered to use it and it is incompatible with other bz2 versions, so it will only work with others patched to b91s. It was only released in order to assist with open spy testing and development, which does not seem to be happening any more. It is buggy. If you are only playing with friends you might as well stick with whatever works for you for now.
This is what I would do, GameRanger worked for getting my little brother and I connected (although we also used it for Diablo II)
Modding/Modelling like a noob...
Shapeshifter
Scrap

Post by Shapeshifter »

So where's this situation at right now?
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

PB6.3's matchmaking works. Most people are still playing 6.2 because BZ2's community is full of conservatives rather than progressivists.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Shapeshifter
Scrap

Post by Shapeshifter »

I've just returned to the BZ2 community after a long time away, and I'm using the 1.3.6.2 patch.

After clicking "multi", I instantly get the "Could not get server list" error box. All firewalls and antivirus switched off.
TwinShadow
Sabre

Post by TwinShadow »

Use PB6.3 instead. Glu Mobile shut down the QR2 protocol from GameSpy after they bought them out. Caused quite an uproar, but of course, Glu Mobile doesn't give two ****s. Here's the topic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1541

The latest patch uses RakNet which does work, with maybe the occasional lag out perhaps, but otherwise its pretty stable. At least in my playing. I've only had one time when my friend was getting a lot of resyncs, so I had him rejoin and it worked from then on.
If you happen to be looking through my posts, I have completely dumped all things related to Battlezone. Do not contact me, do not bother me. Been harassed enough as it is and am done entirely.
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

AHadley wrote:PB6.3's matchmaking works. Most people are still playing 6.2 because BZ2's community is full of conservatives rather than progressivists.
While I won't say that you're wrong when I say that a good portion of the community is full of conservatives; thats not why everyone hasnt moved to 6.3. The reason why some are still doing 6.2/ipjoin are these:

1) Some of the prominent people who are known for hosting in 6.2 can't get hosting to work in 6.3 (though maybe they have to do their port forwards to host properly)
2) Larger games (>4 players) tend to lag more in 6.3 (speculative, I havent played large games in 6.3 but this is what I've read)
3) Large amounts of lag or synchronization problems tend to AV clients (LZMAcompress server state is corrupt).
4) 'Bad' clients (e.g. some who patched up from 6.2 instead of using a 'clean' install) can lag the game severely.
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Zero Angel wrote:
AHadley wrote:PB6.3's matchmaking works. Most people are still playing 6.2 because BZ2's community is full of conservatives rather than progressivists.
While I won't say that you're wrong when I say that a good portion of the community is full of conservatives; thats not why everyone hasnt moved to 6.3. The reason why some are still doing 6.2/ipjoin are these:

1) Some of the prominent people who are known for hosting in 6.2 can't get hosting to work in 6.3 (though maybe they have to do their port forwards to host properly)
2) Larger games (>4 players) tend to lag more in 6.3 (speculative, I havent played large games in 6.3 but this is what I've read)
3) Large amounts of lag or synchronization problems tend to AV clients (LZMAcompress server state is corrupt).
4) 'Bad' clients (e.g. some who patched up from 6.2 instead of using a 'clean' install) can lag the game severely.

I'm (over)simplifying that to "people prefer the bugs they know to the bugs they don't".
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

And obviously this group of people do realise that they are the only remaining large group of players capable of supplying the test information required to get the problems fixed, that their choice may well mean that it never will work properly and that natural player attrition plus no matchmaking will eventually end their bz2 playing days.
I don't know why I even bothered to make this comment as it should be obvious. I realised at the time that the gamespy disconnect was probably going to be a terminal blow and that elements in the strat community would once again lead the few remaining active players away from any new release simply because that is what they have always done.

R.I.P Battlezone2. :lol: (no that can't be right!)
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

AHadley wrote:...because BZ2's community is full of conservatives rather than progressivists.
Has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with it. Conservative does not mean one refuses change, that is the gross oversimplification made by "progressives" to try to make themselves look better. Conservatives are about caution in advance and preservation of original ideals. The more you know.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Nielk1 wrote:
AHadley wrote:...because BZ2's community is full of conservatives rather than progressivists.
Has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with it. Conservative does not mean one refuses change, that is the gross oversimplification made by "progressives" to try to make themselves look better. Conservatives are about caution in advance and preservation of original ideals. The more you know.
Conservative (n): One who favours the status quo or advocates return to an earlier status.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

AHadley wrote:
Nielk1 wrote:
Conservative (n): One who favours the status quo or advocates return to an earlier status.
con·serv·a·tive
/kənˈsərvətiv/
Adjective
Holding to traditional attitudes and values and cautious about change or innovation, typically in politics or religion.

Charging headfirst into anything is stupid. This is why we beta test things before release actually.
Killer AK
Rattler

Post by Killer AK »

AHadley, i just read what you wrote now lol 2014. Clearly you have no concept of Battlezone 1. Battlezone 1 was written for 56.6 and even slower phone modems. It is the perfect game. For that time period. It still kicks battlezone 2's ass in death matches. But for strategy battlezone 2 is better. I am more a strategy player. Regardless, the servers issue has never been an issue there. I was the best player in Battlezone 1 on the 1.0 server for two years. I could not stand the 1.4 patch. I've played alot of Red Oddyssey with invites from the ARF (Attacking Rebel Forces - Clan) in the past. And I had a lot of fun with them. But they like Walker-Bombers matches too much. The last time i checked battlezone 1 had more people on the server logged in and playing than battlezone 2. There is a split in the community due to some new patches...it wiill iron itself out it always had.