A mod selector for GameRanger

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

TnT
Drunken Constructor

A mod selector for GameRanger

Post by TnT »

I have written a mod selector program that can be used with GameRanger. You can download it from this link: http://sdrv.ms/WZpGNo

This is a zipped up folder that contains two executables, a config file and instructions in a pdf file.

The program “BZ2GameRangerModSelector.exe” is just a data entry program that creates a text file for the second program “bzone.exe” to read. This is a .Net program, so you will need to have that installed on your computer.

“bzone.exe” is the actual selector program that is run by GameRanger instead of the real “bzone.exe” game. It is very basic, but it gets the job done. All you need to do is use the first program to create a list of mods that you want to run with all the required info. Then setup GameRanger to point to this “bzone.exe” instead of the actual game. Keep all these files in the same folder.

The program just intercepts the command line arguments that GameRanger thinks it is passing to BZ2 and redirects them to the mod you select with added switches for the config file and any other switches you want to add.

I have tested this with a few people and it has worked fine so far.

The source code can be downloaded from this link: http://sdrv.ms/Rt7G7e
Feldheld
Rattler

Re: A mod selector for GameRanger

Post by Feldheld »

Looks damn nice. Even coming with a nicely illustrated description. Trying to run it right now.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Thanks TnT ;)
Feldheld
Rattler

Post by Feldheld »

It worked alright so far, only one dude tried to join, got kicked because of bad assets, didnt communicate though nor try again. I like what youve done there, TnT, nice and simple.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

tested with Battlezone Classic, works.

Mirrored Here
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

no knocks on this, but it's possible to also modify your bzone.cfg to point to a mod.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
Feldheld
Rattler

Post by Feldheld »

Works with every imaginable mod and version, like 1.2 FE for example.

Never had any trouble with it.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

I haven't tried it, but anything that reduces the strain on the user and makes things easier for them like this is wonderful. Good job.
Juggernaut
Thunderbolt

Post by Juggernaut »

TnT, I revisited and tested this since RakNet went down. Works good! Thank you thank you (tested with VSR)
*EDIT* - well, upon further testing, it does not work as planned. I can host mods via Gameranger, but others using TnTs tool cannot join, getting VSR related errors.

I discovered Tunngle: http://www.tunngle.net/ Simialr to Hamachi but far less restrictions (more people per network), supports command line launching and BZ2. Hosted games via Tunngle are found via LAN games.
Specs:
Win 10 Pro 64bit OS
i5 3570K @4.5Ghz CPU
16GB DDR31600 Corsair RAM
MSI Z77A-G41 MOBO
Crucial 256GB SSD | 500GB WD HDD
EVGA REF GTX-970 4GB ACX 2.1 GPU
27" LG D2743 Cinema 3D IPS LED @1920x1080 60Hz
ASUS Xonar DGX APU
Cable Internet - 35Mb/6Mb