Issues resolved. Thanks guys

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

XxHAMADEHxX
Sabre

Issues resolved. Thanks guys

Post by XxHAMADEHxX »

Alright so I got a new ultra book. Now Ive played Battlezone on some terrible computers compared to this one. But the problems Im having are just ridiculous.
Whenever I turn, or have alot of units I noticed thing don't always stay together(slight lag also occurs).

For example I will turn away from a gun tower, as I turn it will look like pieces are breaking but my eye barley catches it.

Another thing is when I issue a command or build something. Sometimes the game will freeze for a second.

My specs are
i5
hd4000
6gb ram

This is more then enough for Battlezone and these problems are just ridiculous

Any ideas?

Thanks
Last edited by XxHAMADEHxX on Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
XxHAMADEHxX
Sabre

Re: Battlezone 2 problems

Post by XxHAMADEHxX »

Im starting to think lagging problem is caused by windows 8 100% disk usage problem.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Run BZ2 windowed -- you can hit alt-enter at the initial pilots screen to toggle it -- and pull up Windows's task manager on the side. Windows 8's tweaked Task Manager is one of the areas of clear UI improvement in Win8. See what other processes are consuming CPU and/or disk.

-- GSH
XxHAMADEHxX
Sabre

Post by XxHAMADEHxX »

Well I it stopped doing the 100 percent disk thing and bz is working fine now. I believe I still see it break sometimes but its not too bad.

However when it was happening. I looked to see what was using 100% of the disk, whatever it was did not show up on the task manager.

I looked it up and It appears to be a common problem with windows 8. I might switch to lubuntu if it starts happening again. (Do the latest patches work on linux?)

Btw do you think it could be norton using the disk because it was using 100% of my cpu and I had to restart my computer to make it stop XD

Edit: it works on linux according to posts =)

Thanks GSH
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

I take it you mean CPU not Disk
XxHAMADEHxX
Sabre

Post by XxHAMADEHxX »

Nope its the disk. It made everything run slow. Not sure what was taking it up, but it stopped when I started complaining.

The task manager in windows 8 has a ui that lists what is using what hardware. Something that wasn't being displayed was taking up the disk power.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Sounds like virus/malware. Try a run of MalwareBytes anti-malware (note: free version is plenty sufficient, ignore the attempts to empty your wallet).

Alternatively, there may be a button in task manager to show processes from all users. Make sure that is enabled when looking into slowdowns.

-- GSH
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Disk I/O Capacity?
You would have to be beating 6 Gigs/s if you have a modern SATA drive.
XxHAMADEHxX
Sabre

Post by XxHAMADEHxX »

"ignore the attempts to empty your wallet" LOL XD

Sure but I dont think its a virus but I will still check Godwilling. =D

However Im not the only one with this problem. I dont understand it.
https://www.google.com/#q=windows+8+100+disk+usage

@ Nielk1 I have no idea what that is(Or I know what it is but not what it means. If you can please explain) XD
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Well, for a disk to be at 100% begs the question what about the disk. I doubt you filled 100% of your disk, so the only other option is disk usage, which means the % of maximum possible data being written to or read from your hardrive.

To put an analogy "data traffic jam"?

But yea, sounds like you should do a scan like GSH suggested. Rarely does a computer max out something like that unless you know why.
XxHAMADEHxX
Sabre

Post by XxHAMADEHxX »

I just got the computer 3 weeks ago everything I downloaded was scanned by Norton automatically. Some things were actually removed the moment they finished.

Ill be honest and say I dont like norton.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

maybe it was indexing? i've noticed things slow down when that happens.

if it happens again, try this again: "Not sure what was taking it up, but it stopped when I started complaining." :D
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
XxHAMADEHxX
Sabre

Post by XxHAMADEHxX »

Lol XD
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Maybe anti virus was scanning? that would possibly produce 100% usage while a game was running too.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
XxHAMADEHxX
Sabre

Post by XxHAMADEHxX »

Thats what Im starting to think.

But its annoying because it must always be doing checks