And now for a noob question

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Foxtrek_64
Scrap

And now for a noob question

Post by Foxtrek_64 »

In the initial release of BZII, that is, straight from the CD, there was an option in IA to play either as a commander or a pilot. In pilot mode, the CPU took care of base building and unit creation, but the tanks and hovercraft were passed to the player to lead into battle.

What I would like to know, is in a multiplayer setting, is there a way to delegate the command of tanks and hovercraft to pilots on my team, and if not, how much work would it be to write in? Ideally, this would only be combat units, and some support units (like scavengers/harvesters and healers).

I am also aware of the existing GH variant(?) with Thug Commanders, though with a lack of documentation on that recycler variant, I am not aware what that variant is for, only that it causes issues in IA where I tested it out (as I lost control of my base).

Any assistance on the topic would be appreciated.
This above all: Be true to thine self, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not be false to another man. -- Hamlet, Act I, Scene III
Red Devil
Recycler

Re: And now for a noob question

Post by Red Devil »

i didn't know the craft built by the AI were passed to you in pilot mode in 1.0..1.2; glad you mentioned it.

i thought all the craft were built and dispatched by the AI Commander and you were left on your own, which is what i did for G66 recently, which is good for pitting/testing AI vs. AI, but not the way it was intended, so i'll make a version of that, too.

As for adding it back to stock, it shouldn't be too difficult. i could do it and add an option for it as a custom cfg and DLL since i already worked on it for the G66 mod (or you could just play that mode in G66 when i post it).

as for the GH Thug Commander variant, i don't think that was meant to be available in IA, but just in MPI. it's for handing out nerfed Recyclers to thugs in MPI so they can set up their own bases (with some initial scrap help from the commander).
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
Feared_1
Sabre

Post by Feared_1 »

When you have a player teammate, they will appear as F10, F9, F8, or F7 in your HUD.

1. Select the unit(s) you want to pass (Scavengers, tanks, etc.)
2. Hold CTRL
3. Press F10, F9, F8, or F7 depending on which player you want to pass the units to
4. Command of those units will be given to that player

There is a bug that, sometimes, you cannot pass to the F7 player if there are 5 people on your team.

They can also pass units back to you.

This only works if you have players on your team, and you cannot set the AI to control your units for you. You also cannot pass command units such as Constructors.
This is where my signature picture would normally be. It is not, as you can see.
You're wasting your time reading this. :)
Foxtrek_64
Scrap

Post by Foxtrek_64 »

Red Devil wrote:i didn't know the craft built by the AI were passed to you in pilot mode in 1.0..1.2; glad you mentioned it.

i thought all the craft were built and dispatched by the AI Commander and you were left on your own, which is what i did for G66 recently, which is good for pitting/testing AI vs. AI, but not the way it was intended, so i'll make a version of that, too.

As for adding it back to stock, it shouldn't be too difficult. i could do it and add an option for it as a custom cfg and DLL since i already worked on it for the G66 mod (or you could just play that mode in G66 when i post it).

as for the GH Thug Commander variant, i don't think that was meant to be available in IA, but just in MPI. it's for handing out nerfed Recyclers to thugs in MPI so they can set up their own bases (with some initial scrap help from the commander).
Feared_1 wrote:When you have a player teammate, they will appear as F10, F9, F8, or F7 in your HUD.

1. Select the unit(s) you want to pass (Scavengers, tanks, etc.)
2. Hold CTRL
3. Press F10, F9, F8, or F7 depending on which player you want to pass the units to
4. Command of those units will be given to that player

There is a bug that, sometimes, you cannot pass to the F7 player if there are 5 people on your team.

They can also pass units back to you.

This only works if you have players on your team, and you cannot set the AI to control your units for you. You also cannot pass command units such as Constructors.
Thanks for the help. I'll be sure to keep this in mind for the next time I'm in a LAN session (or, if Google Fiber would hurry up, perhaps an internet session)
This above all: Be true to thine self, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not be false to another man. -- Hamlet, Act I, Scene III
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

i thought the F7 bug was fixed.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA