My Modern Battlezone Pet-Project...

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Re: My Modern Battlezone Pet-Project...

Post by TheJamsh »

BTW new video, though nothing new to really report. A user called 'Koola' posted an amazing snow scene in Unreal (this person is renowned for insanely realistic looking stuff). I experimented a bit and merged the assets into the project. I don't intend on using his stuff for reals, but the standard is set for environment quality for sure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjq3thcPsjs
Developer @ Stormtide
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2350#p40547 << My UE4 Battlezone Project

ModDB - Battlezone II Unofficial Expansion Pack
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

dang, looks and feels like i'm driving around here shooting at stuff. very nice.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
Foxtrek_64
Scrap

Post by Foxtrek_64 »

Very nice!

*Sets up folding chair* I'm going to stick around for a while.

Earlier on, someone requested a link for a "gofundme" page. I was wondering if you had either a paypal donation link or something of the sort so those of us who want to can toss some cash your way, whether it be for a beer or a lunch, or perhaps purchasing assets or the time of an asset creator.

Also, I know you were going to release this game for free (and according to the steam overlay), probably on Steam. My thinking is it might be a good idea to simultaneously release a "Pay What You Want" page on your own website. By offering things just as a free download, you take away one of the methods fans have of expressing their appreciation, interest, or hype. Instead, plenty of models (including a study BandCamp did which found that "...fans pay more than the minimum a whopping 40% of the time..."), suggest that offering a "pay what you want; no minimum" is both a good way to release your project for free and simultaneously keep the lights on.
This above all: Be true to thine self, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not be false to another man. -- Hamlet, Act I, Scene III
TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

Thanks for the kind words Foxtrek!

I honestly haven't considered what I'd do if I got that far. I desperately want to get Deathmatch out there first, with all the back end support ready for extra modes in the future. In the spirit of BZ I want to keep mods a reality, and at some stage may go full open-source community with the project on GitHub. It's not really at a stage where I can do that yet though, lots needs cleaning up.

Lucky for me I run a game studio by day, so I get paid to work on everything but this :p. I'm honestly more nervous right now about Rebellion picking it up and making a BZ2 remake too - though I'm not sure they'd go to the same lengths that I want to.

Still a long ways off though. We're in crunch at work atm and I'm doing 95% of production right now. Sux
Developer @ Stormtide

Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

since rebellion is going to release a bz2 redux, i'm wondering how soon it will be before you are slapped with a cease and desist order. until then keep up the good work.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

They are? Great...
Developer @ Stormtide

Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

i'm sure that if you are just doing for your own personal edification and fun that they won't say anything. heck, they might even ask you to join them ;-)
Abraham Lincoln

Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Red Devil wrote:since rebellion is going to release a bz2 redux
sauce pls?
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

Oh of course, personal edification and a probe at business opportunities :lol: I don't want to get ahead of myself though, made that mistake with all of my BZ-related projects in the past.

All of my 'Notice me Senpai' attempts to rebellion have failed so far. The best place to post for attention would be on the Battlezone1.net forums since Mr Arkin seems to hang around there regularly (blasphemy, sorry) - imagine if I wasn't banned several years ago for no actual reason whatsoever... that was a good imagine.
Developer @ Stormtide

Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

Well, you are obviously interested and have a good attitude and have developed skills along the way, so you have my vote of confidence.

Keep up the good work.
Abraham Lincoln

TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

Thanks, RD :)

Random screenshot:
Developer @ Stormtide

jack775544
Thunderbolt

Post by jack775544 »

Now that is one very sexy screenshot :D
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist" - Charles Baudelaire
TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

Time for a wee update! Been working a lot on the Radar recently. This thing has been an absolute pig but I'm really happy with where it's at at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af-RPdJvIIM

I'll spare the gory details but I did a big write-up on it here. All the blips are hardware instanced on the GPU so you can draw a LOT of stuff with virtually no performance hit, so I'm pretty happy with that! The most expensive part is the line/grid rendering (99% of about 2.2ms), but hopefully splitting up the height data into a spatial hash should massively reduce that. You can see how it drops to virtually nothing in the test map at the end of the video (about 250 objects in that scene, blip render takes around 0.04ms!)

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthr ... post522899
Developer @ Stormtide

Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

even with a brain that resembles oatmeal after driving 1500 miles, that still looks great.
Abraham Lincoln

TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

Developer @ Stormtide