Windows 10 Compatibility

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Ded10c
Recycler

Re: Windows 10 Compatibility

Post by Ded10c »

The free upgrade isn't *for* one year, it's *available* for one year. As in, it's a lifetime license that can be redeemed until 2016-07-29.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

I'm only judging them by their previous activities :) I don't believe a word about the support, they might support it...but nobody else will bother, why would a game company, for example, or a hardware vendor go to lots of hard work to give legacy support to a premature "upgrade" version. It's just an MS foot in the door marketing strategy.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

i think it calls for some disambiguation at the very least.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
jack775544
Thunderbolt

Post by jack775544 »

MrTwosheds wrote:I'm only judging them by their previous activities :) I don't believe a word about the support, they might support it...but nobody else will bother, why would a game company, for example, or a hardware vendor go to lots of hard work to give legacy support to a premature "upgrade" version. It's just an MS foot in the door marketing strategy.
They are going to all this effort for the sole reason that they want everyone of windows 10.
I have been following the windows 10 news for a while now and it looks like that microsoft want to make windows 10 into a platform for all of their devices. Getting consumers to use it on one device would encourage people to use it on other devices. For instance, take the game streaming feature that is coming to Xbox One when it gets the windows 10 update. People will be able to live stream the video from their Xbox to their PC, thus ending the TV wars with the family in one swoop. That feature alone would be enough to encourage people to buy an Xbox One over a PS4 if they were undecided before.

From what I have seen this free upgrade is a very long term marketing strategy that is going to be employed by microsoft as a move to try and get people more immersed in the Windows and Microsoft software environment, rather than an up front money grab.
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist" - Charles Baudelaire
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

after they do, then what?
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Red Devil wrote:after they do, then what?
Then they reap long-tail benefits like a competent business.

Or they **** it up and burn.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

*MS exec gazes wild-eyed into crystal ball*

"One OS to rule them all, One OS to find them,
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them"
Abraham Lincoln

XxHAMADEHxX
Sabre

Post by XxHAMADEHxX »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That is exactly why I am suspicious of windows 10.
blue banana
Sabre

Post by blue banana »

I just think of this whenever I hear Windows 10:

WORLD WAR 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: https://youtu.be/0dZIutRz9hw
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

The biggest problem with this discussion is how much of it is just speculation and how little of it is actually, y'know, derived from fact and worth discussing.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

From what I have seen this free upgrade is a very long term marketing strategy that is going to be employed by microsoft as a move to try and get people more immersed in the Windows and Microsoft software environment, rather than an up front money grab.
Yes that's pretty much what I was saying. It is a customer acquisition strategy. The problem is that the upgrade(s) will probably not actually be a real Windows 10, it will be a mix up of whatever it got installed over and whatever MS thinks it can fool you with. I can tell you straight off that there is no way any 3rd party development software test departments will be attempting to test with all the possible hybrid O/S's this "upgrade" will produce. They will test with only the official release and its patches as they appear. Upgrade users will find themselves buying the real thing in the end anyway just to get away from the compatibility failure events that will occur as a result of the "upgrade".
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Upgrading rather than completely reinstalling has been a feature of Windows installers since Vista. It does not produce a hybrid system. There is absolutely nothing to suggest this will be any different.

Facts good, blind guessing bad.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

According to this, clean installs from a .iso are supported. It looks like you can make a .iso before and/or(?) after the upgrade, so do that and back it up.

Moderation note - do read comments at these links. Somewhat more informed than speculation done here.

I'll still probably wait a month or so before upgrading one or two secondary boxes to Win10.

-- GSH
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

*wonders if we'll be able to revert back to W7 if we experience a problem with W10*
Abraham Lincoln

Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Kinda feels like an MS-tactic, not mentioning the 1 year term for the upgrade in the pop-up thingy.
That pretty much makes it pointless if you are comfortable with your current OS, imo.

Now if they would give out truelly free upgrades of a basic version and sell you an upgrade to more complete versions I would be more interested in the upgrade. Now it seems nice, but at the same time somehow doesnt really feel right to me.