Windows 10 Compatibility

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Ded10c
Recycler

Re: Windows 10 Compatibility

Post by Ded10c »

I said there is no *reason* for it to appear, which is a slightly less well-worded way of saying you're not going to need it until nearer the time anyway.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Your PCs have been obsolete for decades and so have their operating systems.
The pentium (1) is yes :) it only still functions on account of not having been turned on very much for 25 years.
The one with xp on it is a pentium 4. 3.2 ghz dual core. I am fairly certain it can probably still out perform some of the lesser offerings still on sale at the moment, at least when running the generation of programs installed on it. It still does what it does excellently. I am of the opinion that its functionality will not be improved by letting our local authority bury it in a large hole just outside town.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

*right clicks on w10 icon, sees, Get Windows 10/Check your upgrade status/Go to Windows Update/Get to know Windows 10*

yup, i see a reason; multiple reasons, actually.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Per this article, if you're running Win10 build 10130, you'll get upgraded to Win10 final, even without having a legit Win 7/8. Seems interesting enough that I'm downloading the ISOs of 10130 to see how they handle on some older boxes that only had WinXP/Vista. Worth a shot if you have pre-Win7 boxes sitting around that ought to be able to handle Win10.

-- GSH
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

That's interesting. They really do want W10 out there, don't they?
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

They did set a big goal.

The 64-bit version of that ISO didn't work on one box, but the 32-bit did and had a fairly quick install. Can't find an audio device, though. That one box that I've tried so far is an Athlon 64 3800x2 (dual core), Nvidia nforce 2 MB, 4GB RAM, GeForce 8400 GPU. I had its drive partitioned so it left the WinXP partition alone.

-- GSH
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Update: this article notes that you can either do a 1-way upgrade from a genuine copy of Win7/8 to Win10. If you don't have that, you have to stay on the insider preview (beta test) of upcoming Windows versions -- a perma-tester.

Given that the box I installed Win10 preview is the oldest PC at home, and it's been powered on once in a while, I don't mind staying on the preview builds.

-- GSH
TwinShadow
Sabre

Post by TwinShadow »

Microsoft is really doing the whole Windows 10 release real odd, it is a little concerning, at least to me. I don't particularly have a legitimate copy of Windows 7 since I can't justify paying $180 every time a new OS is released. But seeing that they'll even update, completely free, any Win7/8 system is a little jarring to me.
If you happen to be looking through my posts, I have completely dumped all things related to Battlezone. Do not contact me, do not bother me. Been harassed enough as it is and am done entirely.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

reminds me of a movie/tv show i saw once where they got everyone to install some fun software which ultimately was used by a notorious villain to gain control...of your soullll!
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

TwinShadow wrote:Microsoft is really doing the whole Windows 10 release real odd, it is a little concerning, at least to me. I don't particularly have a legitimate copy of Windows 7 since I can't justify paying $180 every time a new OS is released. But seeing that they'll even update, completely free, any Win7/8 system is a little jarring to me.
If I where somebody at MS I'd look for ways to stop the thieves (or 'those that rather not pay for what they want but do not need yet still need to aquire').
Maybe W10 is (partly) that answer, and what better way to make it so you do not have to steal it by giving it away for free. They'll just sell you the software needed to do stuff in W10 (apps, etc) and have probably just given themselves a way to check you actually payed for it. If they find out you did not it might have some consequences.

Thinking out loud; Look at Steam and how some games wont run without Steam running and connected, maybe W10/some apps will have the same concept in store.
Red Devil wrote:reminds me of a movie/tv show i saw once where they got everyone to install some fun software which ultimately was used by a notorious villain to gain control...of your soullll!
Isnt it Spawn or some movie where the bad guy installs some trigger for nuke in his body that is connected to his hart, so if he dies .. booom!
I.o.w. trying to make the good guy into the worst ever without him even realising it. I wont tell you the outcome and spoil the movie for you :)
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

heh, it all reminds me a hive mind or seti, where all the individual nodes talk to one another, making one giant control mechanism or intellect.
Abraham Lincoln

MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

...Or Ultra Troll! :lol:
Sadly much to close to the truth.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.