MPI Question

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

bzoner
Scrap

MPI Question

Post by bzoner »

How come when I play MPI, the computer has created 65 ships to my 5 in the first five minutes. It doesn't seem reasonable. Anybody have an explanation for this.
Red Devil
Recycler

Re: MPI Question

Post by Red Devil »

stock? if so, which AIP set? Mod? Which one and which options?
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Simple, it cheats. :) If you don't want it to cheat select 0 scrap cheat for the computer team and only play the normal or easy aip's. all the others give free scrap to the poor old computer team on top of the scrap cheat you can set before game... Or try the new berserk aips that come with the UEP pack ;)
APCs r Evil
Sabre

Post by APCs r Evil »

The AI has to cheat. It can't match human skill or tactics.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

There's a number of factors at play:

1) Map designers can set the AI up with a number of free units at game start. Conversely, for MPI, before you launch the game if you click on 'map options' (middle of right side) then dig into the second page (look in bottom right) there, you can select what free units you start off with.

2) The AI team runs off of a script for how to build its base and respond to what you do. This script is called an 'AIP' file, short for AI Plan. Stock AIPs are at moderate difficulty, but if you dig into the map options, you can specify much more vicious AIPs.

3) BZ2, like other Real Time Strategy (RTS) games, is about controlling resources. The more pools and loose scrap you control, the more you can build. Once a scavenger is on a pool, it is harder to dislodge. So, the more pools you can grab at the start of the game, you'll deny the AI access to all those resources. However, if you completely turtle up, the AI can grab the pools and produce all the units you complain about. Only on maps with a lot of preplaced AI units that keep you from

I wrote up a basic scrap management guide 11+ years ago, and it's still available online at http://matesfamily.org/bz2/scrapmgmt.html. It's a useful initial reference on how the basic scrap system works, and derives mathematically how long it'll take to build various stock units without any cheats.

In short, if you can be more specific as to which map & options you're having problems with, people can give you better help.

-- GSH
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

The crucial thing to realise is that scrap collection occurs at 3 speeds, red yellow and green on the scrap bar. Saving up for units is a sure way to get your little dude into an early grave, spend spend spend! the more you spend the more you get, keep that scrap bar out of the green area.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

4 when you count loose
bzoner
Scrap

Post by bzoner »

I was just testing MPI GH Dropzone. I set AI scrapcheat 0, and AIP Set to Wugs Level 1 - Easy AIP Set. The minute I joined I some of the scrap pools all ready had 2 enemy turrets guarding them, and when I rushed over to the opposing side base, it all ready had many gun towers, constructor. And this is just seconds into the game. How can that possibly be fair? I admit I am an inexperienced BZ2 player but I just want something that seems more equal to the human side
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

those are pre-placed units. the map is designed to be hard. try another map like Dunes or High-Low
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Dropzone is the single WORSE MPI map to start MPIs on. It is the best once the rest seems a tad boring, but horrible to start on... That said even it gets old eventually. And that is when ppl move on to the G66 mod where the AI is a bit smarter because the entire mission is scripted against you.
Tomas
Scrap

Post by Tomas »

I play BZ2 for about 6 years, but in some maps I am beaten as well, but I pass this map as Instant Action. Just select another map. In addition, if you set it as MPI, I think that there is default limit for 4 players. I think that it is set - higher difficulty for more players, because more players can do more than one player. So it is good either to limit number of players, or wait at least for one more person to start.

Also here are my 2 tips to this map:
1) Use FAF misile to attack the turrets - you can be hidden behind groud (part of hill), and FAF misile turn aroud the ground to hit the turret. You are protected, turret not.
2) Just order the scavenger to go to the pool. If you have good luck, the scavenger still might reach the pool alive, however heavily damaged. Also, when turret is shooting at the scav, you can attack it; it will shoot at the scav until the scav is destroyed.

This map is difficult to start.
Cyber
Sabre

Post by Cyber »

Yeah, dropzone is one of the hardest MPI maps. You can recognize it at the name if there is a "GH" in front of it (standing for GreenHeart) the maps are generally harder.[Entrapment the easiest?]
So if you can't handle that yet, try an easier map like High&Low or Ground Zero etc.
Gamer1
Drunken Scav

Post by Gamer1 »

bzoner wrote:I was just testing MPI GH Dropzone. I set AI scrapcheat 0, and AIP Set to Wugs Level 1 - Easy AIP Set. The minute I joined I some of the scrap pools all ready had 2 enemy turrets guarding them, and when I rushed over to the opposing side base, it all ready had many gun towers, constructor. And this is just seconds into the game. How can that possibly be fair? I admit I am an inexperienced BZ2 player but I just want something that seems more equal to the human side
Some maps are starting with you landing on an already occupied planet that has just become a strategically desired location, so your foe is already somewhat established. Not fair, but real life kind of scenario. If you want a more level playing field then find a different map that has an equal start for both. I think some have been already suggested.