Scrap

Re: QF2 Discussion

Post by voxnat »

Thank you AH, GSH - all working now - much appreciated
voxnat
Scrap

Post by voxnat »

Sorry - not quite there - next issue is an oversized radar/map and health indicators taking up most of the screen (only in QF2). Is this a known issue?
Many thanks,
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

voxnat wrote:Sorry - not quite there - next issue is an oversized radar/map and health indicators taking up most of the screen (only in QF2). Is this a known issue?
Many thanks,
Probably modders thinking they need to include sweeping shell changes in their mods and not accounting for all screen sizes.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Nielk1 wrote:
voxnat wrote:Sorry - not quite there - next issue is an oversized radar/map and health indicators taking up most of the screen (only in QF2). Is this a known issue?
Many thanks,
Probably modders thinking they need to include sweeping shell changes in their mods and not accounting for all screen sizes.
Bit off-topic. I kinda dislike how certain games now facilitate for the 16:9 ratio screens but are dropping it for 4:3 ratio screens. Dont get me wrong though, I like my TV to be 16:9, but my monitor 4:3 (this way I can have a set of 'tools' at the bottom/top of the screen and still have 16:9 in the actual game).
Eg: In BZ2 the radar/health/F-keys all more or less reside in the 4:3 part of the screen while the bit left is basically 16:9.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

BZ2 pins to corners, ratio is irrelevant except in the shell.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Nielk1 wrote:BZ2 pins to corners, ratio is irrelevant except in the shell.
I guess you dont understand me. It is not about the position of attributes but the overall size of the screen and what you end up left with that is not covered by text or pictures.
If I have a screen that is 45cm*(4:3) high and 1/4 of that hight is used by 'features' I have 33,75cm of usable screen hight left. With a screen that is 33,75cm*(16:9) high I'm left with 25,3cm of usable screen hight.
As you can see the usable screen hight of a 4:3 monitor is as much as the overall screen hight of a 16:9 monitor, in this case 33,75cm. (I know the comparison doesnt completely hold up since the compared monitors are not of the same diagonal size.)

*60cm width
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

How much screen area you have by differing aspect ratio is irrelevant in this interface... The corner pinning of the elements are optimal at all ratios. I even tried 10:16, though the resulting FOV made me ill.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

No it is not. The human eye has a ratio of about 16:9, not 4:3. So by keeping the hud elements in the 4:3 part you can use the full ability of your eyes without having hud elements in your face. Using a 16:9 screen, no matter what ratio you set manually, will basically always be in your face.
I.o.w what I have in my 16:9 range of my 4:3 monitor is cramped in a smaller area on your 16:9 screen, assuming width of the screen is the same.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Your eyes see in a circle of varying degrees of clearness where at the sitting position one uses at a desk using a computer the guages are in the zone that is less clear and more just for motion. Your ratio argument is invalid here where at either ratio the controls are too far out for reading.

I've done a lot of research in this area. Just track what your eyes do when you play and see for yourself.
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

Nielk1 wrote:How much screen area you have by differing aspect ratio is irrelevant in this interface... The corner pinning of the elements are optimal at all ratios. I even tried 10:16, though the resulting FOV made me ill.
i believe he is saying that the balance between what's visible onscreen and the HUD can be out-of-balance when you condense what might look good on a 16:9 screen (and technically fit on a 4:3 screen) down to a 4:3 screen. While everything may technically fit on-screen with no overlaps and nothing being cut-off, designing without serious consideration to how it looks at 4:3 can cause the HUD to take up most of the viewable room. He is advocating for thin, non-obtrusive HUD elements at the 4:3 aspect ratio.

Take the radar, for example. A healthy balance on a 4:3 screen is for the radar to take up no more than 1/3 of the width, and the weapon/ammo display to take up another 1/3, with the remainder being empty space. If the radar takes up 2/3 of the width of the screen (leaving no empty space at the bottom) on a 4:3 screen. Then it interferes with user experience.
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

a picture is worth a thousand words
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Speaking of HUDs taking up the entire screen, those bonjour cockpit shots... shudder

I would post a diagram, but this tablet makes it a bit hard to do that.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Red Devil wrote:a picture is worth a thousand words
Exactly, but you dont think I'm going to make 2 squares in different ratios to show what I mean? If it wasnt easy enough to do I might have, but I have no issue picking my moments for trivial discussions. :D