Battlezone II Remodeled 1.0.8 released 2/21/17

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Re: Battlezone II Remodeled - Available Now!

Post by General BlackDragon »

Well, in BZ you can't shoot off a ship's wing and cripple it's movement. :p
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Progressor wrote:hmm, it's maybe well for the BZ Universe but is far from OUR Universe. Nothing personal against the BZ world but the Wing Commander's Hornet spacecraft returns broken. For examlpe. Zum Beispiel.
The Hornet ain't made out of biometal. *shrug*
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

i was finally able to get through the 2nd mission by following your advice, coxxon. i love the having-to-be-in-both-places-at-once situation in that mission.

i have moved on through Get Help; the buildings, units, lighting, and environment are gorgeous.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
DuoRanger
Thunderbolt

Post by DuoRanger »

AHadley wrote:
Progressor wrote:hmm, it's maybe well for the BZ Universe but is far from OUR Universe. Nothing personal against the BZ world but the Wing Commander's Hornet spacecraft returns broken. For examlpe. Zum Beispiel.
The Hornet ain't made out of biometal. *shrug*
that is because bz engine didn't had damage reports like Wing commander or the predecessor engine(which was mechwarrior 2 and Heavy Gear)

imagine having your weapons or thrusters destroyed in battle
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

<3 Star Citizen
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

General BlackDragon wrote:<3 Star Citizen
I just want the damn original pitch. It's going to fail with how big it is now, it's just a question of when.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

been building a full base and just discovered the stairs - very nice :-)
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

coxxon
Sabre

Post by coxxon »

Progressor wrote:Fascinating! Everything looks so good that causes an irresistible desire to add dirt and scratches... BTW, it would be great to see units and buildings damaged. Of course, it requires a lot of work.
Thanks!

Yup, I too would like to have "damage" textures (even though it does go against BZ EDD cannon). Unfortunately I don't know of anyway to do it, in the game as it exists. My thought would be to have (yet another) layer on the object textures (along with 00,c0, a0, and bump). One that would be transparent (like the way a0 textures work) and just have the damage (could probably even use a set of generic textures for all objects), and would change to show more or less damage depending on the percentage of damage a vehicle, building, or prop had. But right now it's just a dream ...
coxxon
Sabre

Post by coxxon »

Progressor wrote:Looks like self-repair speed of a Warrior (all Scion uints?) is twice less than before. At the same time, the repairs at the Repair Bay are done two times faster. I feel that it breaks the mission balance and I don't like it. Am I wrong?
P.S. Looks like a Scavenger remains dormant until you explicitly order it to scavenge. Or maybe the watchdog timer timeout has changed?
I upped the self-repair on Morphed Warrior and Morphed Drone from 5 to 9. I’ve never felt that the stock addHealth, and addAmmo rates for either side were particularly useful – unless damaged or out of ammo units were left sitting around for long periods of time. In which case I say, get them in the fight. ;)

I also increased the repair rate on Service Bay and Dower. And increased range, radius, and rate of repair on Service Trucks and Healers, and limited them to having a max of 4; again, to get fighting units back to fighting because ….

…I also gave (scaled) addHealth to the Recycler and Matriarch (vehicle and building), Factory, Kiln, and Forge. Intentionally making them harder to kill, similar to BZ(1998).
coxxon
Sabre

Post by coxxon »

Red Devil wrote:been building a full base and just discovered the stairs - very nice :-)
Glad you like the steps. It started with me trying to create an elevator for the bomb bay. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem that the game likes to have more than one collision on an object, and not animated, because even though it was in the game, the elevator would just pass through the player. So I went with a stairwell.

The rebuilt big barracks in the third and forth ISDF missions was my attempt to make a multi-story indoor environment. So it’s just a big prop, but it does work pretty well as a proof of concept. And I added the steps to the Mire tower so one could get to the bridge without having to use the jetpack.

I kind of get the impression that the original devs had intended to have more accessibility and complexity inside structures, but for whatever reason they had to skip it.
Progressor
Thunderbolt

Post by Progressor »

imagine having your weapons or thrusters destroyed in battle
Why not??? Losing weapons/thrusters can add interest to the game. I remember "The Privateer" game - the ship there has a lot of devices and all of them can be more or less damaged and damage is fairly modeled. Sometimes, however, you must wait until the repair driod revives at least shield generators to go into the battle but this is your choice. And you have a choice!

Adding such a global functionality will require redesign of most SP missions. It will be probably another game but who says that it will be less interesting? Maybe it will be the second wind for it?
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

In 1998 it wasn't possible, and now in 2015 adding it would mean directly contradicting existing lore. It's also a lot of work for relatively little payoff.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Progressor
Thunderbolt

Post by Progressor »

Now the range of the Assault tank plasma gun is the same as the guntower and gun sphire guns. Ok but the Traitor's fate mission presumes that you are able to destroy the enemy guntower with your assault tank ("The extended range of your assault tank...").
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Yea, ASSTanks are ment to outrange GT's, thats' why GT's have Combat cannon instead of Assault cannon hardpoints.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

i like it because it is relatively easy for a herd of assault tanks to take out a base with impunity from outside the base defense's range.

besides, you shouldn't depend on just one type of unit and tactic to secure victory.

get in there and fight
Abraham Lincoln