Struggling to play with a friend. (Forgotten Enemies and UEP Help Required)

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Red Devil
Recycler

Re: Struggling to play with a friend. (Forgotten Enemies and UEP Help Required)

Post by Red Devil »

1.3.6.5 uses the old, defunct, RakNet.

// RakNet master server address and NatNeg server/port. Don't change
// these unless you're very sure you know what you're doing.
MasterServerAddress = "masterserver2.raknet.com"
NatNegServerAddress = "natpunch.jenkinssoftware.com"
NatNegServerPort = 61111

1.3.7.2 uses this:

// RakNet master server address and NatNeg server/port. Don't change
// these unless you're very sure you know what you're doing.
MasterServerAddress = "masterserver.matesfamily.org"
MasterServerPort = 80
NatNegServerAddress = "nmates.asuscomm.com"
NatNegServerPort = 61111

install 1.3.7.2 or copy the above into LocalPrefs.ini (not supposed to edit GamePrefs.ini)

And take your router out of DMZ mode.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
Player
Drunken Constructor

Post by Player »

I've been searching all day, but I can't figure out how to turn off DMZ.

I'd also like to use this post as an apology, as I understand that my ignorance is most likely (it would be to me, at least) frustrating.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

I'd recommend that you first try playing a no-mod install of 1.3.7.2 online together. Only after that works should you go more complicated and add mods into the mix.

-- GSH
Player
Drunken Constructor

Post by Player »

TL;DR: UPNP redirection failure is still present after DMZ mode, Windows' Firewall is disabled, and no AV is present. I have never had this error before, as I state below. This error is new and out of the blue, when this never occurred before on the exact same set-up with the exact same files.
I wrote this long mini essay before figuring out how to enable DMZ mode:

As mentioned, I don't have the slightest clue on why this issue is happening. Battlezone has worked fine with MasterServerAddress="gamelist.kebbz.com" (placed under [user prefs] in Localprefs.ini) in the past. Now, it doesn't work. Is it still valid, or should I have used something else all along? After all, I only started using this because I saw people on http://bz2maps.us/ saying that Raknet was dead, and that we needed to use this. Is Windows an issue? I have its firewall disabled, but I disabled its updates during the period of time in which Battlezone was working. I have updated it since it stopped working.

Also, GSH, I have tried just 1.3.7.2. It doesn't matter which version of Battlezone I run, I am now always getting a NatNegotiation error. It could be F.E. G66, VSR, you name it. It just won't work. Also, the router hasn't changed at all for my ten years of playing Battlezone. Battlezone has worked fine with this router for these ten years, until a couple of months ago (around the time I started this thread). The only thing that has truly changed is the updates provided by Windows, which were a year's worth of updates (since I disabled them). However, I didn't update until after I started experiencing this error. So my best guess is that it has to do with the gamelist.kebbz.com. However, I've also just tried it without this, and with the extensions that Red Devil said to use, and nothing is working. Also, I should mention that it still says UPNP: redirection failure :(
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

i get UPnP failure often, so i just keep restarting BZs until it works.

i looked in the manual for your router and it has UPnP (main menu, Advanced, UPnP), but it defaults to off.

tried doing a factory reset after saving off your configuration, user name, and password?

tried bypassing the router by hooking up your pc directly to the modem?

you sure your bx2 shortcut is pointing to the correct install?
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
Player
Drunken Constructor

Post by Player »

I figure this might be a good time to mention that I'm on wireless, provided by a cisco router.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

UPNP is optional. If the host's router speaks it, it makes it much easier for others to join. If UPNP is not supported/enabled/etc by the hosts's router, BZ2 will have to fall back on NatNeg to join. NatNeg is much more tricky, and has higher failure rates.

- If you're getting NatNeg errors, that means the joining client is seeing the host's session, right?

- If you don't have UPNP, and the joining client gets the NatNeg errors, then it could be one of the following: 1) Port 17770/UDP not forwarded by host's router. 2) Host has some firewall issues. 3) Client has some firewall issues. 4) Many other possibilities. To solve #1, make sure that port 17770/UDP is forwarded (best option) or try putting the host's computer inside the DMZ.

-- GSH
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

You will also get a UPnP failure prompt if you already have ports forwarded.

I manually forwarded port 17770 to 17772 for myself.

As a result, I always get the UPnP failure notice, but can host without issue.

Receiving the UPnP failure prompt doesn't necessarily mean you can't host.
Player
Drunken Constructor

Post by Player »

I think I found the issue. The port fowarding never went through. Instead, it says: The specified port(s) are being used by other configurations. Please check your configurations of Remote Management, Port forwarding, Port Triggering, UPnP Port Mapping table, RIP, and Internet connection type. Again, google did not help. How do I fix this?
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

We don't even know what equipment you are using.

On top of that, we don't know where you received the above message.

Without more information, we can't help you.
Player
Drunken Constructor

Post by Player »

My router model is WGR614v10. I get brought to a page after attempting to port forward, and it displays the error message. It then brings me back to the port forwarding page. If necessary, I could make a video of it and link it.
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

I have an Asus router, which will tell me if a port is opened due to Port Forwarding or UPnP.

Does your have a log that tells you if the port is already opened?

It all else fails, close bz2, reboot the router, then try to forward the ports.

If the port was already opened due to UPnP, rebooting the router should fix that.