a question

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

NFuser
Sober Scav

a question

Post by NFuser »

How come i see allot of people active on these forums talking about what should be done in the new patch, and yet for some reason i fail to see exact those people playing the game?
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Re: a question

Post by Nielk1 »

Well, I can speak for myself at least. I don't have the time right now. And if I do get the time, I would find it better spent trying to fix the game then playing it. Someone else can see if the fix works.
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

NFuser wrote:How come i see allot of people active on these forums talking about what should be done in the new patch, and yet for some reason i fail to see exact those people playing the game?
Sadly, the issue is a mystery to me. Getting in to a game is more of a problem for me then not actually being there. Some people just don't seem to like playing with some people. I've either been auto kicked (high ping thingy) or been denied access after entering most games. I also see quite a few other players leaving a game not long after joining the game.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Well, its just the way this games community is, there are, believe it or not, still allot of players not really involved with the online strat side of the game. Modders tend to stick to mucking about with the games innards and straters play strat. There are a few who do both, like me, and some who do neither, dedicated offline mpi'ers.
And to be honest, as you well know, the strat community can be very unwelcoming, inexperience is a practically crime to some players. We all know who's going to get the kick when a better player turns up.
My experience's as a player who abandoned 1.2 for 1.3 quite early on was surprising, Most of the players stuck with 1.2, but a steady trickle of new(b) players took up 1.3. I took great joy in exterminating them slowly and creatively :) I did not kick people for not knowing what they were doing, I toyed with them like a cat with its prey. Some of them have now become good strat players.
As far as this forum is concerned, generally people are here because they want to be involved in the games development and have something to offer towards that goal, playing online is not obligatory.
NFuser
Sober Scav

Post by NFuser »

Nielk1 wrote:Well, I can speak for myself at least. I don't have the time right now. And if I do get the time, I would find it better spent trying to fix the game then playing it. Someone else can see if the fix works.
You try to fix the game you don't play at all?
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

In my experience, very few programmers are also game players.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

NFuser wrote:
Nielk1 wrote:Well, I can speak for myself at least. I don't have the time right now. And if I do get the time, I would find it better spent trying to fix the game then playing it. Someone else can see if the fix works.
That's how GSH does it.

People who know the game well enough, such as the above mentioned game programmer, can make changes knowing it should work.

As for your apparent intention in stating that, Nielk1 does play when he has time. He doesn't use the name "Nielk1" because of all the haters out there :lol:
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

General BlackDragon wrote:
NFuser wrote:
That's how GSH does it.

People who know the game well enough, such as the above mentioned game programmer, can make changes knowing it should work.

As for your apparent intention in stating that, Nielk1 does play when he has time. He doesn't use the name "Nielk1" because of all the haters out there :lol:
I can certainly vouch for that statement in my own case. I would never ever use my old user nick of BNG; it's has <kick me> assoiciated with it, so I typically use random names to try to avoid obvious people abusers.
MrsGSH
Drunken Constructor

Post by MrsGSH »

NFuser wrote:
This was rather mind bending initially for me as well. However, if you think about the number of games you've programmed in order to play them, or the number of internal combustion engines you've designed in order to have a running vehicle, it quickly becomes apparent that using and building are rather separate. Heck, so are research and ability. In my field of social interaction research, some of the best researchers are the most inept at actually interacting with people in a normal fashion. <shrug>
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

i really suck at playing. i can't hit the broad side of a tank at 50 paces. :oops:

with arc. :?

while sitting still. :roll:

But, i can mod and program (kinda). :geek:
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

For most of us the answer is simple. We have busy lives. The same reason you don't sit and play BZ2 constantly. There are other things to do with our time.

For me specifically, there are a number of other things. Firstly, I've not played under AHadley for a long time. I use three other names in-game, only one of which is synonymous with AHadley. Secondly, I'm in Britain, which means most American players will never see me online at all (I do most testing and playing during late morning/early afternoon, when you will probably be sleeping).

Also remember that the private beta team don't play 6.2 much. We are currently using b91f6.

Another thing. How many game developers play their game after it is released? Off the top of your head, you could probably count them on the fingers of one hand.
NFuser
Sober Scav

Post by NFuser »

I am an intern in a law firm, soon to become a full time lawyer, i have a girlfriend and a social life, and yet i manage to play. Reason why i posted this is that people who try to "fix" something don't know what should they fix at all because they don't even play the game. Therefore, you can't fix a car if you don't know what's causing the problems.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

we actually play a lot (i do, anyways) - probably more than all other players combined.

i have 7,15 log in my test install - and that is only going back a little over 2 years and does not count my FE install, my stock install, my private-build install, and my previous 105 installs.

So, we play, but we do it....secretly... :geek:
VSMIT
Sabre

Post by VSMIT »

NFuser wrote:I am an intern in a law firm, soon to become a full time lawyer, i have a girlfriend and a social life, and yet i manage to play. Reason why i posted this is that people who try to "fix" something don't know what should they fix at all because they don't even play the game. Therefore, you can't fix a car if you don't know what's causing the problems.
If you're going to be like that, be like that somewhere else. We don't need more of it here.

Thanks.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

AHadley wrote:Also remember that the private beta team don't play 6.2 much. We are currently using b91f6.

Another thing. How many game developers play their game after it is released? Off the top of your head, you could probably count them on the fingers of one hand.
NFuser wrote:Reason why i posted this is that people who try to "fix" something don't know what should they fix at all because they don't even play the game.
Because gamers *always* know more about a game than people who work with its engine. I will now say something the rest of the beta team have been saying for a very long time; "If you find a problem, report it. Don't just expect us to find it. We are only a small team and we can't possibly be everywhere at once."

And as I said, we don't necessarily play the same version as you.

EDIT: Proud to be the only Atilla on the board =)