How do all of these different single player options work?

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Re: How do all of these different single player options work

Post by Nielk1 »

AHadley wrote:That reminds me. Why was this functionality removed and is there any way it could be replaced?
Didn't work well. Pain in the ass to fix for something no one used.
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

I can recall the way it worked in 1.2 was that the computer would just pass you a random jumble of units and they would be stacked weirdly (like a scavenger being grouped with assault units, etc) to the point where you had difficulty managing your units on account of the F-slots being filled rather quickly.

In 1.2 players used to 'cheat' sometimes by joining an MPI game and then jumping on the CPU's team via a console command. It added an interesting dimension to the game (particularly if the players on the 'human' team were vets) but it would be usually be stacked because of the scrap boosts that the CPU team would recieve combined with the fact that it was usually the best player in that MPI game that jumped on the CPU team.
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep
Feldheld
Rattler

Post by Feldheld »

btw what means TTB? Lots of variants end with "no TTB". And what are the differences between smart trucks and hyper trucks? Questions over questions :)
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

TTB is team-transferrable bomber. As for trucks... I'm fairly sure that's automatic servicing. Auto trucks service things automatically in a small radius, smart trucks in a larger radius, and hyper trucks in the largest. That could be completely wrong and wait for someone else to clarify first :P
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Feldheld
Rattler

Post by Feldheld »

Thanks. Both smart and hyper trucks do auto servicing. I never noticed the slightest difference between those two. They also cost the same.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Too bad the function in the IA games was removed where the computor would build base and pass ships.
Back when the game was new, I used to quite enjoy this, It had an interesting not quite in control feel to it. I imagine it could actually be done much better now, passing units based on their provide name, leaving control of armoury and console's with the player and running a far more complex aip, It could actually become a challenging MP mode for those who find defeating the AI too easy.
Hmmm, imagine a thugs only strat mode...balancing teams by choosing the level of "retardation" of your teams AI commander :)
You could have a "lieutenant" in charge of Armoury and ship config, while the AI does all the base building, pods and ships, based on what it can afford to build and what the enemy is deploying.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

Smart trucks automatically service buildings that they are very close to (normal trucks dont auto-service buildings). Hyper-trucks do a similar thing but have a longer range where they automatically service stuff.
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep
Feldheld
Rattler

Post by Feldheld »

I always build smart trucks and they already run away too far from their target for my taste. I set them to follow some gun tower or rocket tank in front of my main base and 10 minutes later they hang out in the back of my base cause they had to heal 1 health point on a power station. But I guess they dont like to get 2-shotted by big bad walkers ...
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Would be an interesting exercise to merge ST and MPI by allowing commanders to be toggled between human and AI.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

AHadley wrote:Would be an interesting exercise to merge ST and MPI by allowing commanders to be toggled between human and AI.
I was going to do that but then the Strat 'players' would bitch and moan that any random Strat they might join might be an MPI in disguise.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

But that's half the fun. For us.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Would be an interesting exercise to merge ST and MPI by allowing commanders to be toggled between human and AI.
Toggled sounds like a bad idea, either on or off, strat players won't toggle it on because it would be a serious disadvantage being unable to manage your scrap properly. But having both sides Commanded only by AI means that everyone can be thugs! :) and neither team has the advantage, Other than combat.
You could look at it more as a Team DM with bases.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

I mean that the commanders canseperately be set as human or ai at the start of the match.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Oh I see, could be fun. Maybe you could even set it up so you get the Human/computer opponent hybrid in mpi, like in 1.2, it was a fun way to play.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

Axeminister wrote:Too bad the function in the IA games was removed where the computor would build base and pass ships.
I fixed that game mode for Battlezone Classic. Took 1 code line and a better AIP.
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****