In-Game Music Not Playing

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

k00kev2
Drunken Constructor

In-Game Music Not Playing

Post by k00kev2 »

Mostly referring to Instant Action here; when I go to play a game, the background music never plays - this even after a clean install and all pilots retired. I've been wanting to get that music pack to work for the longest time, but the default music doesn't work, so I haven't had much luck. Anyone have any suggestions? I could just play the tracks in the background on my choice media player, but that kind of defeats the purpose for me.

I vaguely recall already asking about this, but my post history doesn't have it, and the search box won't let you look up 'music' - every other search term I could think of didn't work either.

Using 1.3.6.5
Music volume is at 100%
"Random Music Tracks in IA/MP" has been set to both various times
"Ingame Music from CD" has been set to on and off various times
Red Devil
Recycler

Re: In-Game Music Not Playing

Post by Red Devil »

there is a setting in addon\config\Gameprefs.ini which may help:

// Use the new shell background music volume setter. This is
// recommended to be true for my Soundblaster Live and Hercules
// Gamesurround MUSE XL cards at home, but false for my Turtle Beach
// Santa Cruz. Basically, if you alt-tab in the pregame shell and the
// music is very loud on return, try reversing this setting.
NewShellMusicBehavior = false

copy that to LocalPrefs.ini and set true/false.

also, check sound devices on second page of sound options.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
k00kev2
Drunken Constructor

Post by k00kev2 »

I've done so, checked both true and false. There's definitely a difference before game with music loudness, but in-game during Instant Action, still no music.
I'd like to note that single player missions still play their music just fine.

Sound devices all are fine. All other sound plays well.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

can you post a screenshot of both sound option pages?
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

kookev2, i only get sound in IA in the sound options menu when i slide the music slider, but then no music when i exit options and return to the game.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

I get music in game in Instant Action, while playing. So I wonder what the differences are in our options.
k00kev2
Drunken Constructor

Post by k00kev2 »

As far as the first page goes, I have tried "Ingame Music from CD" both off and on and "Random Music Tracks in IA/MP" both off and on - so a total of 4 combos [on,on; on,off; off,on; off,off]
Red Devil wrote:kookev2, i only get sound in IA in the sound options menu when i slide the music slider, but then no music when i exit options and return to the game.
Same here. I'll get the 'test' song - the one that plays when you adjust volume sliders, but upon exiting menu, no music.

Forgive the large images.
Edit: I'll resize them actually

Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

yup, same as my settings.
Abraham Lincoln

General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Ditto. I wonder why mine works and you two's doesn't.
k00kev2
Drunken Constructor

Post by k00kev2 »

Is there a specific audio format that the music-pack needs to be in when adding it to the addons folder? I remember there being a specific destination, and I'm pretty sure I have that right - or at least had at one point. Right now it's sitting in a "IngameMusicFromCD" folder in the addon folder. It's in both ogg and mp3.

I'm at a loss. I miss playing the game with the soundtrack. It's just not the same playing it externally-from-the-game.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

BZ2 only reads .ogg files, due to licensing/legality of .mp3 decoders. If you wish to use the music pack, you'll have to transcode. BZ2 1.3.6.5 reads .ogg files from the subfolder the stock .ogg files are in, plus any subdirectories (even several layers of subdirectories).

-- GSH
k00kev2
Drunken Constructor

Post by k00kev2 »

I figured taking everything out of the folder save the ogg files would help, but still no IA music.
Also converted the mp3's; still nothing.

Played single player missions, music works fine there - but I guess those songs are mission-specific, so they should play fine.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

If you have custom music in addon, it must be in a folder called: CDAudioAsOgg

files must be named cdaudiotrack2.ogg - cdaudiotrack255.ogg with no gaps.

The Stock 1.3 patch addon has the stock music in addon appropriately. Is it in your addon?

Also, found an interesting bug? behavior? When you have "Ingame Music From CD" off, after the track finishes, the music doesn't repeat or continue.

Found another music bug, will bugzilla it.
k00kev2
Drunken Constructor

Post by k00kev2 »

General BlackDragon wrote:If you have custom music in addon, it must be in a folder called: CDAudioAsOgg

files must be named cdaudiotrack2.ogg - cdaudiotrack255.ogg with no gaps.

The Stock 1.3 patch addon has the stock music in addon appropriately. Is it in your addon?
That was the fix for me. The folder for me was named addon\IngameMusicFromCD - I don't know why, that's how I had set it long ago.
Changed it to addon\CDAudioAsOgg

I'm actually a bit curious about it, because if it should have been in the appropriate folder with the patch, as you've said,
then I should have had two folders with music in them, but there was only one - mine. After a clean install, I copied in the
rest of my personal addon folder. If it was there originally, it wouldn't have been overwritten or deleted, since I just merged the
folders, and they had different names. I don't know.

Anyways, changing the folder name and changing the audio file names correctly worked. I now have music playing during Instant Action.
Thank you GBD
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

The folder must be called CDAudioAsOgg, as you have discovered. However, that naming of files is incorrect. It searches for any .ogg files under addon\CDAudioAsOgg\... -- i.e. it will search subdirectories. Technically, it uses any/all AddDirRecurse() entries in the .cfg -- by default, bzone.cfg refers to only addon. You should be able to look at Extras\Changelog\ChangeLog_pb5.txt, starting about line 3669, referring to mantis #1327.

-- GSH