Akky's Mod Thread

Moderators: GSH, Ultraken

Apollo
Sabre

Re: Zeno's Modpost

Post by Apollo »

Goomba wrote:Is that a 3ds max plugin for vdf export? I figured there was something like that because you cant do everything with vdf viewer.
No, It's an xsi exporter from DR2 for 3D Studio Max.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

?

As far as I know DX will never release the tool. If you contact him and ask nicely he might convert it for you :)
Goomba
Drunken Scav

Post by Goomba »

In theory, Activison should have had a advanced vdf exporter, as ANIM tables are not saved in geo files, so whatever animation you do to the unit will get lost when you export it. If im right you CAN let an object rotate endlessly by giving it a certain type, which I have to look up first. :lol:
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

You have to use 3D Studio max to do key frame animation and export using the xsi plugin.

You can get the xsi exporter here: http://dummyworld.net/programs/?category=Battlezone

I just installed 3DS Max 2010 last night, (3ds is soo DARK now)
Josiah
Sabre

Post by Josiah »

don't confuse bz1 and bz2 models: bz1 uses individual geo files whose arrangement is stored in a vdf file; bz2 uses a single xsi file...
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

Josiah wrote:don't confuse bz1 and bz2 models: bz1 uses individual geo files whose arrangement is stored in a vdf file; bz2 uses a single xsi file...
Only way to do animations for Bz is to export them from 3DS max and that means the xsi is the first step in the process. geo's is step 4 or 5. :)
Josiah
Sabre

Post by Josiah »

um, really? mind telling me how you do that?
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

You have to learn 3DS max, there are vtm's on it. Should be some free stuff around but there are also inexpensive training coarses you can buy.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

Apollo wrote:
Josiah wrote:don't confuse bz1 and bz2 models: bz1 uses individual geo files whose arrangement is stored in a vdf file; bz2 uses a single xsi file...
Only way to do animations for Bz is to export them from 3DS max and that means the xsi is the first step in the process. geo's is step 4 or 5. :)
I think you are confusing BZ1 and BZ2 models as well. You do not need XSI anywhere in the process for bz1 models. Not to start not in the middle not in the end.

You can start with an <anything> make it geos and arrange into VDF. The issue is, this method kills any deploy animation for the turret or movement for walker classes.

There is no public method for exporting with proper animations, and the only method known (unless XSI IS the method in which case how are you doin' dx and why the name change?) uses an undocumented command line procedure. Yup. And you all thought BZ2 anims were hard.
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

Zax wrote:I think you are confusing BZ1 and BZ2 models as well. You do not need XSI anywhere in the process for bz1 models. Not to start not in the middle not in the end.

You can start with an <anything> make it geos and arrange into VDF. The issue is, this method kills any deploy animation for the turret or movement for walker classes.

There is no public method for exporting with proper animations, and the only method known (unless XSI IS the method in which case how are you doin' dx and why the name change?) uses an undocumented command line procedure. Yup. And you all thought BZ2 anims were hard.
Pretty sure you never did it so your first statement, i would retract it if i was you. ;)

Geo is just the mesh, pivot and texture name, Blakes tools was never programmed for animation.

Bz2 uses an undocumented command line procedure for animation? How would that work... no need for a 3D animation app?
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

People aren't joking when they say anything in BZ2 can be done with notepad.
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

You can do animation that way, i've done far too much of that myself.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

*Bashes head against wall*

It is the tool Activision used to get their proprietary vdf straight from the oven. This isn't the bz2 forum! You know this though, or I thought you did. Stop mentioning bz2 modeling methods as the two games are so vastly different in processes they cannot be compared.

Blake's tool assembles those GEOs which are mesh and pivot data into the VDFs which contain object type as you know. Animation data is stored in some...well list I guess or call stack (I am far from an expert on what DX does so I won't pretend to be). The engine handles all the nozzle rotation and such which is kind of neat but can be limiting in some cases.

If you doubt I have gone through this process, I assure you I have and you can fly this here ISDF dropship around to see it is in fact possible. DX just will never release what he uses since he is under strict agreement not to. Or some such thisandthat.

3DS is the best to use to make geos though because of the exporters. That entire method can be skipped though. If you are DX or ask him nicely.

EDIT: Obligatory "if you download that file it will place an avtank.odf in addon that you will need to delete to resume normal play and all that palarva"
Zenophas
Bull Dog

Post by Zenophas »

Eh, sounds like to much work. Zeno'll just have to cut out the complicated things like Needle Turrets and four-legged spider walker howitzer things.

Thanks anyway. :]
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

Zax wrote:*Bashes head against wall*
See now i think you are using another name, in which you should know better than what you've said here. But if you don't stop bashing your head against the wall, you'll do MORE damage. ;)

I can't get past the ads to download your file.

Zeno, turrets and howiters are easy to do, i haven't saw what's on your forum cause it requires joining.
Unfortunately you can't have both a walker and a howitzer in one game object.