DX9 support for TRO, PLEASE!

Moderators: GSH, Ultraken

Fulmen
Thunderbolt

DX9 support for TRO, PLEASE!

Post by Fulmen »

Hello.

1.5 is marvelous and many thanks to Ken for creating it. Mainly because it allows newer systems like my Windows 7 64-bit to run BZ1 without problems (although I do miss some things from older versions). However, there is no DX9 patch for The Red Odyssey, which means I can either not run it or when I can, the graphics are all messed up for some reason. Same story with non-1.5 BZ1. So I'm asking, would it be possible to make a quick DX9 support patch for TRO?

PS. My graphics cards are two NVIDIA GTX 295s, in case it's purely a graphics card issue (since unlike pre-1.5 BZ1, I can actually launch TRO, but it's messed up).
bigbadbogie
Bull Dog

Re: DX9 support for TRO, PLEASE!

Post by bigbadbogie »

Unlikely. TRO has a completely seperate engine, and those who created it (Team Evolve) are long gone.
Fulmen
Thunderbolt

Post by Fulmen »

What do you mean has a completely separate engine?? It looks exactly like BZ1.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

Fulmen wrote:What do you mean has a completely separate engine?? It looks exactly like BZ1.
Nobody has the code for it and it cannot be obtained.
Fulmen
Thunderbolt

Post by Fulmen »

Zax wrote:
Fulmen wrote:What do you mean has a completely separate engine?? It looks exactly like BZ1.
Ah... Well, anyone got tips on how to get it working 100% on Windows 7 64-bit with NVIDIA GTX 295? Compatibility mode doesn't do ****.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

Fulmen wrote:
Zax wrote:
Ah... Well, anyone got tips on how to get it working 100% on Windows 7 64-bit with NVIDIA GTX 295? Compatibility mode doesn't do ****.
Make a virgin sacrifice to your volcano god of choice.
Fulmen
Thunderbolt

Post by Fulmen »

Zax wrote:Make a virgin sacrifice to your volcano god of choice.
I just sacrificed a Badger turret to Olympus Mons while trying to record. Does that count?
SnakeEye
Rattler

Post by SnakeEye »

bigbadbogie wrote:Unlikely. TRO has a completely seperate engine, and those who created it (Team Evolve) are long gone.

you mean (almost) identical to bz1? team evolve barely touched the bz code as far as i can tell. here's the credit list, you could search for their names on Facebook.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/r ... ey/credits
Fulmen
Thunderbolt

Post by Fulmen »

SnakeEye wrote:
bigbadbogie wrote:Unlikely. TRO has a completely seperate engine, and those who created it (Team Evolve) are long gone.

you mean (almost) identical to bz1? team evolve barely touched the bz code as far as i can tell.
That's what I thought too, so I was pretty surprised at bbb's response.. From what I can tell all they really changed with the engine was maybe change it to allow the Chinese cloaking device to work.

Hopefully Ken can clarify this.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

If that was the only change, it might be cool for him to add cloaking with an ODF flag for the ability to do it or not. Then a modder could get the TRO stuff into BZ1. Though the missions are compiled into the EXE, making that problematic.
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

Yes, for single player, DX9 would be cool for RO. However, for all practical purposes, BZE1.2 already has everything a DX9 RO-type multi-player would offer.
Fulmen
Thunderbolt

Post by Fulmen »

Psychedelic Rhino wrote:Yes, for single player, DX9 would be cool for RO. However, for all practical purposes, BZE1.2 already has everything a DX9 RO-type multi-player would offer.
And could someone give a link to the latest BZE? I couldn't even find one for 1.1.
Manslayer
Sober Scav

Post by Manslayer »

I think they are testing BZE1.2 currently.
Fulmen
Thunderbolt

Post by Fulmen »

BZE is discontinued. Reaper is just testing some little things for 1.5 from what I hear.
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

BZE is still avaliable.

BZE1.3 pretty much has gone to gold.

It's now a completely playable, win7 32&64bit compatible version using DX9. Playing it at 1900x1200 @ 60FPS makes it look almost like a new graphics engine.