Map Site/IO DM Map

Moderators: GSH, Ultraken

HughManatee
Drunken Scav

Map Site/IO DM Map

Post by HughManatee »

FYI, I Google searched for Battlezone Maps recently and came across a site I hadn't hit before. I was specifically looking for the IO DM map. This map was very popular about 5+ years ago, but got lost in the shuffle during the conversion to BZ 1.5. I think I had installed it originally from one of the old map packs. IO is a small map with tank weapons, popgun, thump, mortar, sp and mag. Bombers have also played the map with some success as the field is surrounded by cliffs you can shoot down from. The IO map isn't in Spock's map room or any other BZ map site I've found, and there are a few more out there.

The address I'm posting is for DM maps, including IO. I'd like to get a few folks to play me on this IO map so I can try to resurrect it. :D

http://home.kpn.nl/lrother1994/deathmatch.htm
Apollo
Sabre

Re: Map Site/IO DM Map

Post by Apollo »

Dread's Io DM?
Had that in BzE for years.
Activision anet servers for all legacy anet games: Anet Servers
BattleZone Club (Supporting BattleZone 1.4, The Red Odyssey, BattleZone Enhanced, BattleZone 1.5 and Bionite)
BattleZone 1 Community Since 2002
HughManatee
Drunken Scav

Post by HughManatee »

Rumor is that Bze only has one or two players online most times. As Spock monitors the IPs on the Anet server, it isn't worth losing access to his server to sit in the BzE lobby.

Unfortunate when someone with a little bit of power abuses it, but there you have it. Come up with a way to keep Spock and his minions from tracings IPs and some folks might try out BZE. (I know, can't be done)
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

Could always try BZ2's BZClassic mod, spock doesn't go there :)
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Interesting problem, so then the issue is that Spock's success with getting ppl to play his illegal "abandonware" copy locked to his server have given him 'bans that matter'. I want to mess around with an ANET server in the future, but IIRC Eddy hosts one that pretty much bans no one. Issue is Spock has tricked so many into using his server exclusively.

Right?
HughManatee
Drunken Scav

Post by HughManatee »

Exactly right. And because of his manipulation of the servers.dat file and version number of bz (he's running 1.5.1.17), he keeps any of his regular players from even seeing the other servers. The only way to get people in are to recruit new players who haven't loaded spock's version and start from the ground up. I could be wrong, but that's how it appears to me.
HughManatee
Drunken Scav

Post by HughManatee »

General BlackDragon wrote:Could always try BZ2's BZClassic mod, spock doesn't go there :)

I didn't know about that. I did an internet search and found a couple of screenshots from it and it looks very similar to BZ1, but from what I saw, the tanks look a little different. Maybe next winter when I'm stuck indoors more, I'll dust off my old bz2 disk and play with it. Getting current with bz2 looks to be a significant challenge, as I think they're up to version 1.3 and they seem to build individual mods for different themes, or something. I'd have to do a lot of reading to understand what's going on with bz2.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

It's fairly easy, you install BZ2, 1.3, and which ever mods you want to play.

Most screenshots are out of date, here's the mod's topic:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1759

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****