Main Battlezone 1 Community

Moderators: GSH, Ultraken

Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Re: Main Battlezone 1 Community

Post by Nielk1 »

Sporkinator wrote:You want to discuss pirated material? How about Dx compiling unofficial versions of BZ with the source code? Really, it's kind of a moot point.
You ARE aware DX contacted Activision's legal department and has a notice of general permission right? This was attained with the specific note that BzE has no SP missions from the original game and thus cannot be applied to redistribution of the full game.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

Sporkinator wrote:
blue banana wrote:no music at all
You forgot to put your BZ CD in.
You do not need installer if you have the original CD, which I've proven.
Josiah
Sabre

Post by Josiah »

Zax wrote:
Sporkinator wrote:
blue banana wrote:no music at all
You forgot to put your BZ CD in.
You do not need installer if you have the original CD, which I've proven.
well actually, what I think he's saying is that you have to have the cd in the drive for the music to play, which is correct. it's a little trickier with an iso image, but it still works after a bit of tweaking.
SkyNET
Drunken Constructor

Post by SkyNET »

AHadley wrote:
Sporkinator wrote:It's really the "only" Battlezone 1 Community
Spot the mistake.
'Community" is capitalized.

heh
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

Josiah wrote: well actually, what I think he's saying is that you have to have the cd in the drive for the music to play, which is correct. it's a little trickier with an iso image, but it still works after a bit of tweaking.
My point stands.
Josiah
Sabre

Post by Josiah »

Zax wrote:
Josiah wrote: well actually, what I think he's saying is that you have to have the cd in the drive for the music to play, which is correct. it's a little trickier with an iso image, but it still works after a bit of tweaking.
My point stands.
quite true, but mine does too.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

SkyNET wrote: 'Community" is capitalized.
The other one.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

It is by far the least welcoming community I have been part of. I was assigned a label based on playing battlezone 2, regardless the fact that I was known to play BZ1 at the time. It was designed in such a way to have everyone "point and laugh."

You still sure about welcoming people from here over there?
Sporkinator
Drunken Constructor

Post by Sporkinator »

My point about the BZ CD is that, unless the game gets its sound system improved, BZ will only play music from the CD. Blue banana said "no music" was one of his complaints about the installer, but it's not really the installer's fault if you forgot to put in your CD for the music, now is it?
Neilk1 wrote:You ARE aware DX contacted Activision's legal department and has a notice of general permission right? This was attained with the specific note that BzE has no SP missions from the original game and thus cannot be applied to redistribution of the full game.
Why would general permission only apply to one person? Obviously Activision doesn't care, as long as there is no monetary profit involved. The BZ1 community isn't doing it for monetary profit either, so clearly a full installer for Battlezone is not any more illegal than Dx distributing stock BZ or his modified version.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Sporkinator wrote:
Neilk1 wrote:You ARE aware DX contacted Activision's legal department and has a notice of general permission right? This was attained with the specific note that BzE has no SP missions from the original game and thus cannot be applied to redistribution of the full game.
Why would general permission only apply to one person? Obviously Activision doesn't care, as long as there is no monetary profit involved. The BZ1 community isn't doing it for monetary profit either, so clearly a full installer for Battlezone is not any more illegal than Dx distributing stock BZ or his modified version.
Actually, basicly anyone can make a derived work based on the legal notice Dx got. That means DERIVATIVE work. Without any of the original single player components. But sure, don't actually read what I wrote when you quote it.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

Sporkinator wrote:My point about the BZ CD is that, unless the game gets its sound system improved, BZ will only play music from the CD. Blue banana said "no music" was one of his complaints about the installer, but it's not really the installer's fault if you forgot to put in your CD for the music, now is it?
You didn't address me. Why was Roboto given a star-of-david-esque bz2 player label? Thought experiment: Anyone that resembled a friend of mine suddenly became weary of me after that.

My point about the BZ CD is that, if you have it, you don't need an installer.
Sporkinator
Drunken Constructor

Post by Sporkinator »

Zax wrote:You didn't address me. Why was Roboto given a star-of-david-esque bz2 player label? Thought experiment: Anyone that resembled a friend of mine suddenly became weary of me after that.

My point about the BZ CD is that, if you have it, you don't need an installer.
The same reason I was given a "single player fanatic" rank, because I still play a lot of single player. These days, I only play single player in 1.5, because it's slightly more challenging than 1.4 single player, with the AI that actually knows how to shoot at stuff.

Yeah, you don't need an installer at all, you can just painstakingly install the custom maps, apply 1.4 patch yourself, add the large assets patch, new LAN DLL, etc, because we all know how much fun it is to do things the slow hard way. The installer does a few things that the CD can't do, like get you up and running in about 10 seconds and even put IA mission shortcuts and troubleshooting shortcuts into the start menu.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

The reason Dx got permission is because he bothered to ask for it. Also, remember that he is legally bound to not include singleplayer. That is what keeps BZE legal. And is why a full installer will never be legal.
Sporkinator wrote:The installer does a few things that the CD can't do, like get you up and running in about 10 seconds and even put IA mission shortcuts and troubleshooting shortcuts into the start menu.
Wow, what a lot of effort that saves.
Sporkinator
Drunken Constructor

Post by Sporkinator »

Dx didn't get any special permission, quit kidding yourselves. This thread has really devolved into a mud-slinging fest. Not that that is a surprise really, but I gave you all a chance. You are all impossible and just too uptight. Get the chip off your shoulders. Goodbye, see you in the zone... if you dare. :twisted:
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

The main point is that your installer is entirely unnecessary. Anybody who has the disk can get the game to run on modern versions of Windows.

Anybody who doesn't have the disk should get it before trying to play the game.
Last edited by Ded10c on Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.