New DLL callbacks - any requests?

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Red Devil
Recycler

Re: New DLL callbacks - any requests?

Post by Red Devil »

apologies if i have requested this already:

a callback to dynamically detect/increase/decrease water/lava level, please.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Red Devil wrote:apologies if i have requested this already:

a callback to dynamically detect/increase/decrease water/lava level, please.
Seconded. That would be nice to see.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

A method to call editor only commands from the DLL in a way that prevents them from being called in any other way (as per running in bzone.exe) would be a better way to say that. The issue of course is that these functions are probably currently entirely isolated into bz2edit.exe and making a separate set of accessible functions would be quite difficult.

I made a request, but 701, for a function badly needed to fix many old mod missions with a note on what is needed to actually implement it. I may end up with more over time that I need to fix things.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

A parallel to DLLEXPORT void DLLAPI SetLifespan(Handle h, float timeout);

float DLLAPI GetLifeSpan(Handle h);
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
mase
Thunderbolt

Post by mase »

Is there any way to get information about the geometry of objects?
Like collison box/sphere?
DarkCobra262
Sabre

Post by DarkCobra262 »

mase wrote:Is there any way to get information about the geometry of objects?
collision for objects is based on their animations (Turret rotating included)... generally are a giant box unless there's a specific collision mesh (I believe that's how it works I believe.. GBD or various others might be of more help)
Modding/Modelling like a noob...
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

place an object in the editor, toggle the console with Ctrl + ~ and type in debug.collisions, then toggle the console again.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

DarkCobra262 wrote:
collision for objects is based on their animations (Turret rotating included)... generally are a giant box unless there's a specific collision mesh (I believe that's how it works I believe.. GBD or various others might be of more help)
Actually, BZ2 uses sphere-based collisions for everything except buildings, this includes object-object collisions and object-ordnance collisions. Think of the effect radius of the shields on scion units. This almost completely corresponds with their actual collision spheres -- it also explains why you can't 'ride the bomber'.

There are ways to override the object-ordnance collision in the ODF to use boxCollide=1 in the ODF. Scouts and tanks can be given boxcollide to make ordnance (like cannons, guns and missiles) to accord more with the 'unit selection box' when you select the unit, but it makes everything way too hard to hit, especially on thin units like the scouts and especially in multiplayer where the big hit spheres make up for the natural lag/warp that occurs.
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep
DarkCobra262
Sabre

Post by DarkCobra262 »

Zero Angel wrote:
DarkCobra262 wrote:
Actually, BZ2 uses sphere-based collisions for everything except buildings, this includes object-object collisions and object-ordnance collisions. Think of the effect radius of the shields on scion units. This almost completely corresponds with their actual collision spheres -- it also explains why you can't 'ride the bomber'.

There are ways to override the object-ordnance collision in the ODF to use boxCollide=1 in the ODF. Scouts and tanks can be given boxcollide to make ordnance (like cannons, guns and missiles) to accord more with the 'unit selection box' when you select the unit, but it makes everything way too hard to hit, especially on thin units like the scouts and especially in multiplayer where the big hit spheres make up for the natural lag/warp that occurs.
ahhhhhhhh, learn something new every day.. mostly XD
Modding/Modelling like a noob...
vlad_C0M
Rattler

Post by vlad_C0M »

Maybe it will be sometime realized. I suggest to make "timed powerups."
With "backup.lastweapon".
And as with opportunity to specify, instead of "backup.lastweapon" any g*.odf

it will open great opportunities for modmaking. And not only.
Scion dream ۩
mase
Thunderbolt

Post by mase »

Red Devil wrote:place an object in the editor, toggle the console with Ctrl + ~ and type in debug.collisions, then toggle the console again.
Interesting, I only just saw your post. But I don't think there is a way to read this information out by dll is there?
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

no, it might be useful to do so, but it would be a *lot* of information ;)
Abraham Lincoln

General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

If there could be made a version of GiveWeapon(Handle h, char Weapon, int Slot); that took in a specific weapon slot to give it to, then the DLL could easily do that timed powerup thing.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

General BlackDragon wrote:If there could be made a version of GiveWeapon(Handle h, char Weapon, int Slot); that took in a specific weapon slot to give it to, then the DLL could easily do that timed powerup thing.
I think in general 2 features that would open up a lot of power is direct access to weapon slots by DLL and more direct access to the factories (what they are building and if they are busy for example). I do not believe you can easily do either.
I would say setting power states of buildings would be nice, but you can do that already by spawning and despawning and attaching and detaching taps via the DLL.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

You can easily read the files of each weapon slot, the only lacking thing is a giveweapon that specifies a slot number